A major issue in today’s society is people will not voluntarily put down their phones, not even while driving. Texting and driving is the number one cause of teen driving accidents in America. Over 1.6 million accidents a year in the United States are caused from distracted driving (Snyder). In order to address the disturbing uptrend in accidents attributing to distracted driving, individual state legislators need to pass a state law making texting and driving illegal as well as mandating the addition of manufactured devices that will be able to disable the driver’s phone while the vehicle is in motion.
Drivers who use their phone while driving create too many distractions for themselves and others, which make them incapable of driving safely. Texting and driving rates are becoming extremely high because people are able to access their phones a lot easier now since new technology is now faster and easier to access (Snyder). Over 300,000 people are injured each year from accidents initiated by drivers using their phones (Snyder). Studies have shown that one out of every four accidents are a result of texting and driving causing six times as many accidents compared to drinking and driving (Snyder). Every second of the day 660,000 people on the roads are texting not being able to paying attention while driving (Snyder). Fifty percent of teen drivers have admitted to frequently using their phones while driving; twenty percent of people have said they browse the web while driving, causing eighteen percent of these accidents to result in fatal injuries. In 2013 alone 424,000 people were injured in a driving accident where the driver was texting and not paying attention to their surroundings. Peop...
... middle of paper ...
...phone is shut off it will not activate again till the car is stopped safety (Harman) Devices like these will be what keeps driver from putting their selves and others in any danger (Stromberg). All these devices need to be mandated so that people will stop using their phones while driving if it is not mandated people will continue to text and drive and ignore the true danger cell phones are while operating a vehicle.
To help reduce the number of people texting and driving state legislator will need to pass a law making it illegal to use a phone while driving and also to mandate adding manufacture devices in every car to disable the driver’s phone while in motion. These devices will be the solution to all texting and driving. Installing these devices is the safest most reliable choice. Soon the roads will be safe again without accidents caused by distracted drivers.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... Another study that was don’t by the American Automobile Association found that 47% of teens admitted to being distracted being the wheel because of texting or being on their phones. This distraction is very alarming and eye opening because 40% of all American teens say that they have been in a car when the driver has been using a cell phone in a way that put them and other people around them in danger. Texting has become a very common thing that a lot of people really started taking up since 2000.... [tags: dangerous, deaths, distraction, focus]
540 words (1.5 pages)
- Have you ever gotten distracted while driving in a car. Each time you watch the news you either hear of someone getting into a car accident, by either talking or texting on a cell phone. It is becoming increasingly common for people to wreck due to distractions while driving. Talking and texting are just a couple ways that people get distracted while driving. Texting while driving has brought a lot of attention to state and local representatives due to an increase in accidents caused by distracted drivers.... [tags: Text messaging, Mobile phone, Logic, SMS]
1216 words (3.5 pages)
- Distracted driving is a major problem that has become more of a concern for people over the years. There are many distractions while driving for example cell phones, technology, global positioning satellite, kids and talking on the phone. Despite what officials may say there is a definite increase in automotive accidents due to distracted drivers from cell phones, texting, hands free cell phones and other distraction on the road. Distracted driving has been a concern to people using cars since radios were put into cars around the 1930s.... [tags: texting behind the wheel]
667 words (1.9 pages)
- Now a days everyone is glued to their phones, constantly checking their emails, facebooking, snapchatting and texting. With all the devices people have and interact with on a day to day basis, there seems to be a lack of knowledge on how dangerous these devices really are. A report done by the AAA traffic safety foundation showed that “Each year, more than 80% of drivers in the annual AAA Foundation Traffic Safety Culture Index cite distraction as a serious problem and a behavior that makes them feel less safe on the road.” With the limited hours of free time during the day, people are using driving time to check emails and make phone calls which is inflicting on the safety of everyone aroun... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Drunk driving]
827 words (2.4 pages)
- This paper examines the dangers that arise when cell phones are used at the same time as operating a vehicle. The paper will explore the following question of why this is a problem and why the research is important. The variables investigated are the use of cell phones while driving, whether speaking or texting, and the accidents and fatalities caused from the distraction. Data of the accidents and fatalities caused by drivers distracted by their cells phones is stated to research and further explores the age group and gender of the people involved into the accidents to uncover patterns.... [tags: Driving, texting, legalization]
1795 words (5.1 pages)
- In today’s day and age, technology has drastically increased. People seem to rely on the use of their devices more than anything. Typically, whenever and wherever, everyone is engaged in some form of technology, cell phones in particular. From pagers, to car phones, to initial “flip-phones”, and now to smart-phones, people practically use up most of their daily time with these devices. Nowadays, a lot of people doesn’t even like to have phone conversations…they can deliver their entire thought through a simple text message.... [tags: technology, texting while driving]
930 words (2.7 pages)
- As technology advances, people become notorious for using their electronics in inappropriate situations. Teenagers in present day commonly text at the dinner table, while crossing a street, and even while driving. Not only do teenagers text, their parents do, as well. Texting is a frequent fad among the young adults, it also a convenient method for parents to keep in contact with their children. People nowadays have to be in contact with friends and family at every moment of the day especially while driving it is the equivalent of driving under the influence, using hand-held devices (like Bluetooth) will decrease the number of accidents caused by phones, and studies show texting reduces a p... [tags: Driving Texting]
1057 words (3 pages)
- Just imagine driving down the road, seeming as if there are no cares in the world; one second later a child runs out in front of the car, but no one sees him because their eyes are glued to their cell phones. An innocent life has just been lost because a click of a button. Some people do not realize how dangerous texting and driving can really be. Most people consider themselves to be great at multitasking; well, when it comes to texting and driving, no one can really predict what the outcome could be.... [tags: texting, driving, car accident]
1009 words (2.9 pages)
- In recent years high-tech devices such as smart phones have been great additions to society as a means of communication and entertainment. These additions have made everyday errands and tasks much simplier, but in the wrong hands at the wrong time, they can lead to catastrophe. Matt Richtel, Author of "Texting and Driving. Watch Out for the Textalyzer," has concluded that texting can wait and that it is a major problem since he states that road fatalities have increased " roughly 8 percent in 2015" from 2014.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Tram accident]
1051 words (3 pages)
- “It’s the number one killer of teens” (Clark, 2013). A war is waging on throughout the streets of America. Everyday people risk their lives by driving. The enemy. Texting while driving. It is the act of composing, sending, or reading text messages while behind the wheels of a running vehicle. Driving under this influence is extremely careless and dangerous to others and is likely to cause accidents resulting in injuries or deaths. This problem is on the rise because the only ones with the power to make an impact against ending this war are law makers and law enforcement.... [tags: law enforcement, text message, habit]
1004 words (2.9 pages)