Before one can discuss pro se, one must understand its meaning. Pro se in Latin means “on one’s own behalf.” Therefore, people who represent themselves in court, self-litigants, are preceding pro se (Legal Information Institute of Cornell University). “In all courts of the United States the parties may plead and conduct their own cases personally or by counsel as, by the rules of such courts, respectively are permitted to manage and conduct causes therein” (28 USC § 1654). This statement explains that pro se is legal. In order to precede pro se, one must intelligently volunteer to self-litigate (Faretta v. California). However, even if someone does manage to precede pro se, he or she does not know enough about his or her basic rights (Moskovitz) or how to use case law to support his or her legal claims (Snukals and Sturtevant Jr.). To become a licensed lawyer you must complete a four year bachelor’s deg...
... middle of paper ...
Schudel, Matt. "Accomplished, Frustrated Inventor Dies." The Washington Post 26 February 2005: B01. Web.
Seabrook, John. "Annals of Invention The Flash of Genius." The New Yorker 11 January 1993. web.
Snukals, Beverly W. and Glen H. Sturtevant Jr. "Pro Se Litigation: Best Practices from a Judges Perspective ." November 2007. University of Richmond Law Review. Web. 18 September 2013.
Stienstra, Donna, Jared Batallion and Jared A. Catone. "Assistance to Pro Se Litigants in U.S. District Courts: A Report on Surveyrs of Clerks of Court and Chief Judges." 2011. fjc.gov. Web Document. 9 September 2013.
The Associated Press. "Robert Kearns, 77, Inventor of Intermittent Wipers, Dies." The New York Times 26 February 2005. Web.
Welner M.D., Michael. "Competency to Stand Trial, Proceed Pro Se, Plea, Receive Sentenceing." n.d. The Forensic Panel. Web. 3 January 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Abortion is a very controversial and sensitive topic in today’s society. Two different sides to this argument is pro-life and pro-choice. Pro-life proponents believe in the right to life for unborn fetuses saying that abortion should be considered murder regardless of how far along in the pregnancy the woman is. Pro-choice advocates people who believe the woman carrying the fetus should be able to make her own decision on aborting the fetus. Although pro-life supporters argue “No civilized society permits one human to intentionally harm or take the life of another human without punishment, and abortion is no different” (Lowen), is it really the same.... [tags: Abortion, Pregnancy, Fetus, Pro-choice]
933 words (2.7 pages)
- Abortion is a voluminous topic today all around the world. Differing viewpoints on abortion are recognized in politics, religion, and throughout the general population. There is a small amount of people who are nonchalant on the subject. Women have abortions for many different reasons and according to certain groups these reasons are either justified or not. Everyone tends to have their own articulated opinion, and many vocalize tenaciously what they believe. Pro-life individuals along with religion are sanguine that abortion is ethically and morally erroneous.... [tags: Pregnancy, Abortion, Human rights, Pro-choice]
1142 words (3.3 pages)
- In today’s society, abortion is one of the most controversial issues talked about around the world. By the age of forty-five, it is said that thirty percent of women in America will have received an abortion by some point in their life (“Abortion”). Women need to know there are many conditions to consider when having the opportunity to bring a new life into the world. Women have to be mindful of both their own health but also their child 's. Not only are health issues something to be aware of, a women should also be aware of the finical situation a child can put them in.... [tags: Abortion, Pregnancy, Childbirth, Pro-choice]
1141 words (3.3 pages)
- Approximately 42 million abortions occur a year worldwide. That is 3,500,000 a month, 115,000 a day, 4,800 per hour, and 80 per minute. About each second a baby dies due to abortion. Do these helpless babies really deserve being murdered without having a chance to live as a human being. Abortion is wrong. If a mother killed her baby after it was born, she would probably be charged of murder. What makes people consider that the baby’s life worthless and next important. This is because researches believe that a fetus isn’t an actual human and that it doesn’t feel pain.... [tags: The Right to Life, Pro-Life Essays]
632 words (1.8 pages)
- Roe v. Wade There really cannot be a discussion about being pro-life or the pro-life movement without first discussing Roe v. Wade. This monumental Supreme Court Case, which was decided over forty years ago, is what has put the pro-life, pro-choice debate front and center. Some have even said that the two sides are “ensnared in a violent and deadly war” (Tomlin, 1994, 423). With the decision the pro-lifer’s were now in opposition to the status quo, while putting “pro-choicers within the established law” (Vanderford, 1989, 167).... [tags: pro-choice, constitutional rights]
2068 words (5.9 pages)
- LAWYERS SHOULD MAINTAIN A COLLEGIAL RELATIONSHIP WITH OPPOSING COUNSEL: WHY CLIENTS SHOULD DEMAND IT AND HOW TO DO IT Litigation is can be expensive, but nothing adds to the cost faster – with less to show for it -- than lawyers who bicker needlessly over trivia, refuse common courtesies, can only communicate with rudeness, and think agreement on any point is a fatal weakness. Aggressive litigation can be carried out with collegiality between counsel, and when counsel are collegial, clients are the winners.... [tags: Lawyer, Collegiality, Law, Judge, Ad hominem]
1689 words (4.8 pages)
- Electronic Cigarettes should be outlawed Electronic cigarettes are more accessible to kids aged 18 and under. Today in the U.S there is a debate about cigarettes being outlawed. Although people in the U.S believe that e cigs should be outlawed because they are easier to access for kids under the age 18 they are causing kids to get hurt by e cigs; however some people might say E-cigs are enjoyable and are better than regular cigarettes. Others might say that E-cigs are just nothing but water vapor and can’t harm you.... [tags: Tobacco, Nicotine, Smoking, Tobacco smoking]
1404 words (4 pages)
- Pro-Life: The Opposite of Pro-Death Careful attention to the truth has never been standard operating procedure for pro-abortion advocates. Therefore, it should not be any suprise that half-truths, and misrepresentations, and many outright lies have permeated the pro-abortion propaganda campaign. Pro-choice is just a phrase used by people who know the absurdity of legal abortions and infanticide. Pro-life advocates have a more simple and straight forward approach: Pro-life is not the opposite of pro-choice, but the opposite of pro-death.... [tags: Anti-Abortion Pro Life]
899 words (2.6 pages)
- Introduction The law as we know it has evolved over the years it has existed amongst the human race. Man despite his so called civility has found himself indebted of the same civility amongst each other that without the law, they would be turned into beasts than people. This paper will go into elaborate details of how litigation has become an integral part of man’s life and even though been termed to be an ass, how law has evolved to be greatest campaigner for civility. Corporations The law has in its domain two types of persons; private persons and corporates.... [tags: Business Management ]
1434 words (4.1 pages)
- OVERVIEW Our team decided to choose to evaluate the needs assessment pertaining to Pro Specialties Group. In regards to improving the team structure, we have narrowed our discussion down to two areas: Structure and Compelling Direction. We will make suggestions on how the two areas can be revamped from a team perspective, resulting in the divisions of Pro Specialties Group to work together, grow together, and inspire each other. Ideally, after implementing these suggestions as well as others, the departments will work better together, the artists will function as a unit, money will be saved, production will improve, and profits will rise.... [tags: essays research papers]
1451 words (4.1 pages)