Although pro-life supporters argue “No civilized society permits one human to intentionally harm or take the life of another human without punishment, and abortion is no different” (Lowen), is it really the same? Doctors have determined that a fetus develops a heartbeat at five weeks. If a mother decides to have an abortion before the fifth week, is it really taking another life? Doctors consider an individual deceased when there is no more brain activity and the heart stops beating so is a fetus actually alive before the heart starts beating?
Pro-life supporters also argue that adoption is an alternative to abortion. Supporters also argue there is no such thing as an unwanted child (Lowen). However, these children that do get put up for adoption at whatever age end up going through so much emotional pain. If a child finds out he or she is adopted they tend to think “Why did my parents not want me.” The child could be adopted into a home with an abusive family and suffer physical and mental abuse. All of this emotional and possibly physical pain could have been avoided if the mother had either used proper protection to prevent pregnancy or received an abortion.
Even if the United States outlawed abortion now it would never stop a woman from pursuing one. In 1965, 265 deaths occurred due ...
... middle of paper ...
... perform a rape kit and they can administer medicine that should prevent a pregnancy; if the medicine does not work an abortion should be able to be performed. Abortion should not be an option for women who had unprotected sex, knowing that it could possibly result in a pregnancy.
Abortion is a very hard decision that affects women mentally and physically. Women will always have thoughts about what life would be like if the abortion had not taken place. Abortion is not easy for anyone, it leaves a negative impact. Such impacts could be harmful to the mother 's body. After an abortion the risk of ectopic pregnancies doubles, and the chances of miscarriages and pelvic inflammatory disease also increase (Lowen). Whether the decision is to keep or abort the fetus, the decision should be the mother 's and her doctors for they know what is best for her body and the fetus.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- At some point in your life, I’m pretty sure you’ve heard about the “pro-choice versus pro-life” abortion debate that has taken place across the world, and especially in the United States. The topic is still very relevant today. Every year, over 1.2 million women have abortions in the United States. Many people have different definitions on what abortion really is, and this makes the topic sensitive and hard for people to agree on. “Abortion is the the deliberate termination of a human pregnancy, most often performed during the first 28 weeks of pregnancy” (Oxford Dictionary).... [tags: Abortion, Pregnancy, Fetus, Pro-choice]
1362 words (3.9 pages)
- Everyone of you hearing this, whether I’m reading it to you or you are reading it yourself need to understand that you need to thank god your mothers wanted you. We are blessed by each person on this Earth, including you. Justin Bieber, Celine Dion, Pope John Paul II, even Steve Jobs were almost victims of abortion. Could we imagine a world without the technological advances discovered by Jobs. No matter what your point of view is, whether Pro Choice or Pro Life, the fact alone that your mother did not think you were “inconvienient” or “a financial leech” should be enough to make you Pro Life.... [tags: Abortion, Pregnancy, Human rights, Right to life]
1696 words (4.8 pages)
- The Issue of Abortion: Pro-Choice or Pro-life. The murder of innocents or, a woman’s right to choose; the Pro-Life/ Pro-Choice Debate, Which side are you on. The issue of abortion has been a topic of interest not only in the medical world but also in the political and religious worlds as well. The pro-life argument states that at conception the fetus is a baby and terminating it is taking a life. The pro-choice argument states that the unborn fetus, not baby, is just a blob of tissue and your terminating a pregnancy not a child.... [tags: Abortion, Pregnancy, Pro-choice, Fetus]
1203 words (3.4 pages)
- Abortion is a very controversial and sensitive topic in today’s society. Two different sides to this argument is pro-life and pro-choice. Pro-life proponents believe in the right to life for unborn fetuses saying that abortion should be considered murder regardless of how far along in the pregnancy the woman is. Pro-choice advocates people who believe the woman carrying the fetus should be able to make her own decision on aborting the fetus. Although pro-life supporters argue “No civilized society permits one human to intentionally harm or take the life of another human without punishment, and abortion is no different” (Lowen), is it really the same.... [tags: Abortion, Pregnancy, Fetus, Pro-choice]
933 words (2.7 pages)
- Pro-Life Pro-choice and pro-life advocates which is people in support, or not in support of abortions, have had contentious disputes throughout America. An Abortion is often described as a premeditated killing of a human being often performed during the first trimesters of pregnancy. The killing of any human being is unlawful yet abortion laws grant women the opportunity to kill a child with no questions asked. Some women believe that it is their right to be able to decide whether they want to abort their child, however they don’t understand the horrible effects of their decision.... [tags: Abortion, Pregnancy, Abortion debate]
1717 words (4.9 pages)
- Abortion is a voluminous topic today all around the world. Differing viewpoints on abortion are recognized in politics, religion, and throughout the general population. There is a small amount of people who are nonchalant on the subject. Women have abortions for many different reasons and according to certain groups these reasons are either justified or not. Everyone tends to have their own articulated opinion, and many vocalize tenaciously what they believe. Pro-life individuals along with religion are sanguine that abortion is ethically and morally erroneous.... [tags: Pregnancy, Abortion, Human rights, Pro-choice]
1142 words (3.3 pages)
- All About Abortion “ Each year, nearly 1.2 million American women have an abortion to end a pregnancy.”(www.webmd.com) The personal and controversial topic that continue to be a debate in America. Abortion is one of the most controversial topics in today society. Many question should woman have the right to terminate her pregnancy, which is primarily known as abortion. Many argue that it is on humane to allow abortion, that abortion is almost like committing murder and not giving how the right to live.... [tags: Abortion, Pro-choice, Pregnancy, Childbirth]
1850 words (5.3 pages)
- Abortion is a highly controversial topic of debate; this debate evokes strong emotions on both sides. Abortion is a pretty cut and dry topic; you are either Pro-Life or Pro-Choice. Pro-life advocates are people who believe abortion is ethically and morally wrong, and that it is the government’s job to protect all people including the lives of unborn children. Pro-choice supporters say that it is not the government’s responsibility to protect the unborn children, and women should have the right to determine whether or not they continue with their pregnancies; by choosing to have an abortion.... [tags: Abortion]
1408 words (4 pages)
- Pro-choice or pro-life. That’s a question everyone asks themselves with the topic of abortion. Is it really “killing” a baby when their just an egg and nothing more. In this argument, pro-choice is the answer. “Throughout the world, wherever abortion is illegal and unsafe, committed people make enormous risks to provide safe abortions clandestinely to treat women who have complication and to help women find safe providers” (“ Abortion”). Abortion has been practiced legally in the United States until 1880.... [tags: abortion, voluntary termination of pregnancy]
1520 words (4.3 pages)
- Abortion is the ending of a pregnancy before birth; it causes the termination of the embryo or fetus inside the women. There are two different types of abortion, a spontaneous abortion, which is also known as a miscarriage, and an induced abortion, where the embryo or fetus is purposely removed from the women’s body. The topic of induced abortion has been widely debated for hundreds of years. The issue of abortion was argued way back in the time of the ancient Hebrews. In the United States it became illegal around the mid 1800’s and not until the 1960’s was the argument for the right to abort brought back to the table.... [tags: Abortion, Argumentative, Pro-Choice]
1703 words (4.9 pages)