ANANTH SAI KRISHNA BATTINENI
BELLEVUE UNIVERSITY CIS612-T202 – COMPUTER PLATFORMS AND NETWORKING
Principles Underlying Operating System:
An Operating System (OS) is a manager which manages hardware and software components and makes them usable to the end user.
There are many operating systems available to use such as Windows, Android, Linux and Apple OS. All operating systems(OS) are designed with some fundamental principles keeping in mind. Every operating system makes the hardware to be used and generating high performance. Security is one of the fundamental principles which has to be taken care by the developers while designing a operating system as the data is very important. Multiple firewalls have to be designed such that any threats could not access the data in any system without authorization.
While designing an operating system the design has to be simple, usable and elegant such that the end user can understand and make optimal use of the OS. The OS has to be simple and direct to operate. The OS has to be reliable; a frequent crash of the OS generally indicates the bad design of the OS. The OS has to be consistent and robust.
Operating Systems (OS) are designed to provide resources to number of processes. Process management is built into the operating systems to process the data and allocate the required resources without overlapping from another process. Operating systems are designed to maintain a data structure which is related to a particular process and has full hold of the process. Process management is integrated into the ...
... middle of paper ...
... to operate, for example the latest version of Microsoft Operating System in Windows 10 which requires only 1GHZ(Gigahertz) Processor and 1GB(Gigabyte) of RAM and only 16GB(Gigabyte) of hard disk space to install and operate. The security is high in Windows when compared to other operating systems. The desktop interface is very easy to operate and graphically interactive. The latest versions of Windows such as Windows 10 are very interactive with a good layout of the applications in the desktop which provides the best view for the user. Windows automatically generates crash and bug reports and sends them to the development team such that they can be solved. Most of the applications are compatible and most of the file types are readable by Windows. The major disadvantage of Windows is, it gets affected by Viruses due to the extensive use and popularity of windows.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Underlying Truth Behind Prison Bars Given the ongoing challenges generated by California’s prison system the oversight of the federal court has been inevitable. As time goes by, the importance to accommodate the correctional system to fit a least the bare minimal needs of the prisoners, grows. The current state of the operating system does not only concern lawmakers it also concerns the prisoners themselves, their families, as well as society. As a goal-oriented state, California must prioritize the conversion of a dysfunctional prison system into a successful correctional facility that best complies with California’s demands; demands, such as adequate space in prisons to avoid overcrow... [tags: Prison, Penology, Criminal justice, Corrections]
1037 words (3 pages)
- Operating systems An operating system is software that completes a device this ranges from a phone, to tablet, to a computer and more. This software is the part of the computer that you know is there but you are not able to touch. It acts as a mediator between the hardware of the device and the user. This is what accepts commands from the user and then lets the hardware know what to do or what the user is requesting. Picture you’re in a foreign country that speaks a different language but you have a friend that 's there with you and they speak that language.... [tags: Operating system, Graphical user interface]
1041 words (3 pages)
- Introduction “An operating system (OS) is system software that manages computer hardware and software resources and provides common services for computer programs. The operating system is a component of the system software in a computer system. Application programs usually require an operating system to function” ("Operating System"). The operating system is the central program on any computer. The operating systems is essential because it runs the other programs and applications. “Operating systems perform basic tasks, such as recognizing input from the keyboard, sending output to the display screen, keeping track of files and directories on the disk, and controlling peripheral devices such... [tags: Operating system, Microsoft Windows, Microsoft]
1617 words (4.6 pages)
- The fundamentals of any trusted operating system (OS) is based on the eight secure design principles introduced in Saltzer and Schroeder’s article titled “The Protection of Information in Computing Systems” published in 1975. These principles include Least Privilege, Economy of Mechanism, Open Design, Complete Mediation, Permissions Based, Separation of Privilege, Least Common Mechanism, and Ease of Use which have been applied to software and system design over the past four decade to improve the security elements of each design.... [tags: Operating system, File system, Mac OS X]
1339 words (3.8 pages)
- Characteristics of an Operating System: Multi-User: A Multi-User is two or more users that have individual accounts that allow them to work with programs and peripheral devices at the same time. Multitasking: Multitasking is when a computer is able to run more than one application at the same time, for example have Microsoft Word and Internet open at the same time. Multiprocessing: Multiprocessing is when an Operating System can support multiple Computer Processing Units (CPU’s) Multithreading: Multithreading is when a program can complete multiple tasks at the same time.... [tags: Operating system, Microsoft Windows, Microsoft]
1410 words (4 pages)
- Introduction Central Carolina Community College has different versions of Microsoft programs and Microsoft Operating System in their computers. Having different programs and operating systems affect students, faculty and staff in their work. If a person does a job using a Microsoft 2013 product and then use a computer that has Microsoft 2010 on it, it will affect their work to the point that they might have to start doing the job all over again. This will provoke the person to become frustrated but most importantly, the person will be taking longer to complete the work.... [tags: Microsoft, Operating system, Microsoft Windows]
1002 words (2.9 pages)
- This paper focuses on latest operating system launched by Microsoft in the year 2012, named Windows 8. The lukewarm response of the market coupled with partners’ and integrators’ reluctance to engage with enthusiasm with the product and its resultant impact on the financials of the company would be discussed and analyzed. The intent of the paper is to glean learnings from a product, market, and industry perspectives so that we as future leaders can better appreciate the complexities of ambiguous nature of strategic decision making.... [tags: Operating system, Microsoft Windows]
731 words (2.1 pages)
- Exploring the Court System This assignment is based upon two court visits, one to a criminal (Magistrate’s court of Sunderland) and one to a civil (County court of Newcastle) court. The assignment is apparently significant in terms of its relevance to the general study and understanding of the underlying principles and theoretical concepts of the English legal system and the environment in which it operates, and in terms of formation of argumentative opinion on the English court system.... [tags: Papers]
1758 words (5 pages)
- Operating System Paper Introduction Operating Systems have come a long way since the times of a separate windows system and Disk Operating System (DOS). Now, both systems are combined which made DOS obsolete. According to Capron (2001), “An operating system is a set of programs that lies between applications software and computer hardware; it is the fundamental software that controls access to all other software and hardware resources” (p. 65). Operating systems have three main functions: to manage computer resources, to establish user interface and to execute and provide services for application software.... [tags: Technology Operating System Computer]
1462 words (4.2 pages)
- The uniqueness of UNIX The features that made UNIX a hit from the start are: Multitasking capability Multi-user capability Portability UNIX programs Library of application software Security 1. Multitasking Capability Many computers do just one thing at a time, as anyone who uses a PC or laptop can attest. Try logging onto your company's network while opening your browser while opening a word processing program. Chances are the processor will freeze for a few seconds while it sorts out the multiple instructions.... [tags: Technology Operating Systems OS]
1557 words (4.4 pages)