The short story What We Talk About When We Talk About Love, by Raymond Carver, is about two married couples drinking gin and having a talk about the nature of love. The conversation is a little sloppy, and the characters make some comments which could either be meaningless because of excessive alcohol in the bloodstream, or could be the characters' true feelings because of excessive alcohol in the bloodstream. Overall, the author uses this conversation to show that when a relationship first begins, the people involved may have misconceptions about their love, but this love will eventually die off or develop into something much more meaningful.
The author sets the scene with the two couples sitting around a table drinking gin and making small talk. The real story begins when the topic of love comes up.
Terri, Mel's wife, was once married to an abusive man, who '...went on dragging me (Terri) around the living room. My head kept knocking on things.... What do you do with love like that?.... People are different, Mel. Sure, sometimes he may have acted crazy. Okay. But he loved me. In his own way maybe, but he loved me.'; (pp 110-111) To the reader, it seems hard to believe that there could be love in a relationship where one partner physically abuses the other. However, in Terri's case, both Terri and her ex-husband felt that they were in love. This coincides with the author's theme that early on in a r...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- “What We Talk About When We Talk About Love” by Raymond Carver is a short story about four friends sitting around a kitchen table drinking gin and discussing their different opinions on what their definitions of love are (Carver 330). The two themes of the story are love and language. The author portrays his themes by the story’s plot, conflict, the point of view, and the characters. The theme of the story is the elusive nature of love. Throughout the story, the nature of love remains elusive. Despite the characters’ hard efforts to define it, no one can give a clear-cut definition.... [tags: Love, Meaning of life, Anton Chekhov]
981 words (2.8 pages)
- Life is composed of our multiple encounters with love. Whether we are falling in love, falling out of love, or going through challenges with the people we love, we all seek to find and explore the meaning of love. “Beginners” by Raymond Carver is the original version of the short story “What We Talk About When We Talk About Love” without Gordon Lish’s edits. This story takes place around a kitchen table while Nick, Laura, Herb and Terri, the four main characters, are drinking gin and are participating in a discussion that is centered around love.... [tags: Love, Short story, Friendship, Anton Chekhov]
978 words (2.8 pages)
- In the article “What We Talk About When We Talk About Love”, which was written by Raymond Carver in 1981, the author is mainly talking about the story from Mel McGinnis, who is at home with his wife Terri and their friends, Nick and Laura, are drinking gin and tonics and talking about love. The first discussion is about Terri's ex husband, Ed. Ed is the guy she was with before Mel McGinnis. It is a sad story. She says, that night Ed beat her, he told her, "I love you, I love you, you bitch" while he pulled her around the room.... [tags: suicide, domination, misbehave]
936 words (2.7 pages)
- Carlos Velasquez April 21, 2016 English 1302 David Brenner Final Draft Raymond Carver was an American short story writer and poet. He was from Oregon and was brought up in the Pacific Northwest in a blue collar working family. Being inspired to write in high school he later perused his passion and ended up becoming a well-known and established writer. He has written many well-known pieces but one that is awfully interesting is a short story called “What We Talk About When We Talk About Love”. This story discusses some of the perspectives of love and showcases them in an interesting way.... [tags: Love, Marriage, Short story, Fiction]
1750 words (5 pages)
- The story “What we Talk about when we talk about Love” by Raymond Carver introduces four grown up characters who have experiences in their marriage life. The story tackles the elusive nature of love. This is evident when the characters vehemently try to describe it. Mel, the talkative surgeon, tries to give his thoughts on love but does not manage to convince the others. The other couple in the room believes they know the real meaning of love but find it difficult to define it. However, in the end of the day, they seem to come to togetherness and are intertwined by the essence of love.... [tags: relationships, feeling, elusive]
851 words (2.4 pages)
- When nothing is Sure To live with uncertainty is not an easy task, always questioning and never gaining any form of understanding. Constantly running in a continuous loop of unsettling confusion, hoping to one-day catch up to the realization. The fact of the matter is life is quite erratic in the sense that one can never truly say they know what will come of tomorrow or the next day. But who does one blame for this confusion. Taken from Raymond Carver’s What We Talk About When We Talk About Love collection, Bath, depicts an ironic scene of an eight-year-old birthday boy, getting hit by a car and falls into a coma leaving his family in a desperate plea for normalcy.... [tags: Communication, Graphic communication]
1333 words (3.8 pages)
- Love: a small, four-lettered word that oozes with possibility. What is love. The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines love as “a feeling of strong or constant affection for a person.” However, can love really be defined. In the short story “What We Talk About When We Talk About Love,” by Raymond Carver, the four main characters discuss just that: what is love. Terri, in particular, has a unique perspective on love. This is exemplified in the beginning of the story, when Terri is introduced: “Terri said the main she lived with before she lived with Mel loved her so much he tried to kill her,” (Carver 170).... [tags: Love, Short story, Marriage, Anton Chekhov]
704 words (2 pages)
- Love cannot be defined in one sentence or even a paragraph. Every human has his or her own definition of love because people usually define love based on their cultures, backgrounds, social classes, educations, and their societies. In this essay, the main point will be the different kinds of love that Carver illustrates in his story “What We Talk about When We Talk about Love.” In Carver’s story, there are some points that I can relate to my personal experience. There are a few characteristics and symbols in the story that are really important to understand in order to define what a real love is and find the intention thrown out the story.... [tags: Raymond Carver]
1632 words (4.7 pages)
- What We Talk About When We Talk About Love After analyzing Raymond Carver’s “What We Talk About When We Talk About Love,” it is easy to see that there are several different ideas concerning true love that the characters in the story are in dispute over. Terri’s idea of real love is the most valid out of the group at the table. All of the members of the group are rather confused as to what real love is. Terri is included as one of the confused. However, I believe that she is the closest to understanding what love is.... [tags: Raymond Carver True Love Essays]
821 words (2.3 pages)
- In Raymond Carver’s “What We Talk about When We Talk about Love,” Mel McGinnis’ occupation as a cardiologist, a physician that mends broken hearts, stands in stark contradiction to his claim to understanding the workings of the heart as it pertains to loving and being loved. The discord between healing his patient’s hearts and his inability to recognize his own malady of heart is exaggerated by how he deals with the relationship of Ed and Terri, as well as that of the elderly accident victims and his ex-wife Marjorie.... [tags: Love, Marriage, Greek words for love]
1019 words (2.9 pages)