What is success?
Is it the process of doing a task and receiving a positive result, or is it simply achieving ones own personal goals?
One’s ability to succeed in life is almost directly related to an image of the perception of what success is. Many of America's most successful businessmen, such as J.P. Morgan and Andrew Carnegie, understood what it took to survive in the rapidly evolving business world. Their belief was that success is tangible only through smart business interactions and good money management, personality and good looks only serve as a bonus.
Rene Gallimard in Madame Butterfly and Willy Loman in Death of a Salesman evidently did not grasp these experts' concept of success. Both Willy Loman and Rene Gallimard define success as their antithesis, and measure their level of accomplishment against their individual barometers for success. Willy Loman preaches that success comes hand in hand with a great smile and a jovial personality but he believes that success is hidden in far off opportunities. Rene Gallimard defines a successful person as one who has the ability to control and maintain power over another. Both of these images are tainted because they are simply representations of their maligned, s...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- When thinking of the word “success” people tend to think of materialistic objects that one can buy with copious amounts of money. In reality, “success” actually involves the non-materialistic concepts such as completion of goals. To perceive this idea, we must ask ourselves, “Can failure ever result in success?” “Success” is a noun that is defined as “the fact or achieving wealth, respect or fame” (Merriam-Webster). Most of us wonder how we become successful individuals, and the term “failure” tends to escape our definition of “success”; however, failure is one of the main driving forces for the end result of success.... [tags: Failure, Success, Pablo Picasso]
1023 words (2.9 pages)
- Your determination to have success is decided by your drive, whether you want to succeed in life or be average. Its within your mind what you want to achieve in life, depending on your drive and dedication it can take you a short while or your whole to succeed. Its your choice whether you want to achieve your American dream. One method for success is when people feel happy when they get their first car or first house, luxurious items in general. Money is sometimes a factor for people because of they’re hard work and dedication towards they’re goal or in the classroom and getting they’re degree and releasing the stress from school.... [tags: Failure, Success, Need, Thomas Edison]
737 words (2.1 pages)
- Watching an acquaintance or friend achieve a goal they set for themselves is very rewarding. When the goal is achieved, you would consider them successful. Success is a term with many definitions. Many people think that success is determined by the amount of money one makes, or how many people they boss around each day. This is the opposite of how success is defined. Success is about being happy with an outcome and doing something correctly. It is about feeling accomplished when something is finished.... [tags: success, happiness, respect]
557 words (1.6 pages)
- Most people commonly describe success, as being wealthy in life. This is not the meaning entirely, the definition of success is simple. A person is successful, if he or she has very good payment at his or her work and if he or she is happy with the job, they are doing. Education really leads to success. If a person has good education, he or she can choose their careers and be successful at it. Education is a form of learning in which the knowledge and skills is being transferred from a group of people to another or from a generation to the next, through teaching and training.... [tags: wealthy, academic success]
1891 words (5.4 pages)
- Imagine yourself ten years from now. From now till then, you will have short and long-term goals that will either be achieved or ignored. The achievement of success is by accomplishing goals with the happiness that comes along with it. Achieving goals is an ongoing process throughout the lives of humans until there is no more to gain. Although, society makes people believe success is measured by money and monetary items. Of course, money is important to have in possession to constantly pay bills and support your family.... [tags: Society, Success, Wealth, Money]
888 words (2.5 pages)
- Outliers: The Story of Success Malcolm Gladwell’s writing style in the book “Outliers: The Story of Success” was based on a series of case studies. He starts out the book with the Roseto example to introduce the thesis of the book, which is that successes and failures can be clarified in unexpected ways. The organization could not have been any more improved. Each study led into the other, and related to each other so he could reflect on past studies in his book when explaining the present study.... [tags: Malcolm Gladwell, Blink, Success]
1279 words (3.7 pages)
- Paper on Balance and Success in life Everyone dreams of a successful career and life. The definition of success is very personal. For me, the term “Successful career” revolves around happiness. My definition for successful career and a successful life: For me, a successful career is one that stirs up a certain level of excitement, passion and happiness in me. In my view, successful career should be enjoyable and interesting. To be successful at work I always pose these questions to myself: • Is this place giving me enough space to showcase my talent.... [tags: Personal life, Happiness, Success]
1051 words (3 pages)
- For those who are unfamiliar with me and my successes, you might wonder why you should listen to me. What do I know about business and how could I possible teach you anything, you might ask yourself. Well, admittedly, I am no financial guru like Dave Ramsey or business tycoon like Richard Branson, but I have found success. My success has come in the form of over a million dollars in sales on Amazon and hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of products sold on eBay. I also have taught courses to eager students who have used my method with success on a worldwide scale.... [tags: Failure, Success, Secret, Secrets]
1612 words (4.6 pages)
- Of all the educational resources to which a student is exposed, approximately 75 percent are accessible in school according to nces.ed.gov. These resources include Internet access, a library, and teacher assistance, but what about the other 25 percent. Students who do not have limitations to their resources tend to have higher success rates throughout high school is a situation that is often misinterpreted. Similarly the 25 percent of pupils without accessibility to those resources outside school seem to be deterred in their quest to complete their high school education.... [tags: Academical success, educational resources]
1177 words (3.4 pages)
- The most important quality of a married couple is love. Attitudes and responsibilities are some important factors for the development of a good marriage. Building a happy marriage is the result of conscious effort on the part of a husband and wife. A lifelong union, that people bound together by a bond of love, which is spiritual as well as physical, can be considered marriage. Marriage is socially recognized and approved union between individuals, who give to one another with the expectation of a secure and lasting personal relationship.... [tags: Marriage Success]
1932 words (5.5 pages)