My first reason supporting the motion that workers should be allowed to strike is in order to bring to the fore poor safety conditions. For instance, in the nuclear power industry, any breaches of safety can have tragic consequences. If the employees are exposed to nuclear material, this could lead to serious illnesses such as cancer, leukaemia and radiation sickness. Radioactive material could also affect residents of the surrounding area, as in the case of the Chernobyl disaster. In the light of poor safety conditions, workers striking can be justified by the fact that the government and public would be informed.
Similarly, another justification for employees striking is that production and confidence would perhaps increase after industrial action. This could be because, when workers strike for higher pay or better conditions and their employers meet their demands, the employees return to their place of work with higher morale than before the walk-out. As a consequence, the higher productivity would be beneficial to the owners.
Likewise, industrial action gives the worker a line of protest against unfair hours or miserly wages. Theoretically, if taking industrial action was outlawed, the management could impose any terms and contract changes that they wished ...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Have you ever heard of the gruesome Columbine High School massacre. This incident occurred on April 20th 1999 and involved two students embarking on a shooting rampage, killing twelve students, a teacher and wounding twenty three others. Unfortunately during this incident, the school's most easily accessible phone was on the other side of the school in the library. Perhaps some of these lives could have been saved if the students in this class had cell phones that they could've used to contact the authorities more quickly.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive]
1112 words (3.2 pages)
- Exercise Science Essay on Doping A very long time ago the Zulu warriors from Dutch uses a superior potion that is made from the fermented grape skins to enhance their battle ability. This method is called the Dop which known as doping today. Doping enhances the athletes performance illegally, it also contradicts with fair play. Unfortunately doping can sometimes be very harmful and may endanger the athlete?s personal health status. Today doping has come to a point where it is improved by many biological techniques and this had brought the WADA (world anti-doping agency) a real problem.... [tags: Sports Doping Should Not be Allowed]
1178 words (3.4 pages)
- At the beginning of school days in September 2015, teachers in Seattle public schools went on strike. It is the second time that teachers went on strike in the U.S. in recent years since 2012, when Chicago Teachers Union (CTU) was negotiating for a new contract that improves teachers’ salary, and evaluates teachers’ performance fairly. CTU has reached an agreement after a long negotiation period with the city. The pattern and goal of the Seattle teachers strike matched perfectly with what had happened in Chicago.... [tags: Trade union, Strike action, Collective bargaining]
1328 words (3.8 pages)
- Is abortion right or wrong. I believe that abortion is neither totally right nor wrong. I do believe that teenagers should be able to have abortions without parent’s permission but, the parents should be informed because it’s a medical procedure. Teenagers should be able to have abortions because there only children themselves, they haven’t even grown up so how would they be able to take care of a child. Not only will it be difficult to care for a child, but their choices will be limited when the baby is born.... [tags: Argumentative Essay, Persuasive Essay]
879 words (2.5 pages)
- Argumentative Essay: Should Women Be Allowed To Go Topless in Public In the summer of 1996 Gwen Jacobs enjoyed a topless summer stroll during which she was seen by a local O.P.P officer, was apprehended and subsequently charged with indecent exposure. Gwen Jacobs pleaded not guilty in court and won the right to go topless in Ontario. This incident brought up an excellent question: should women be allowed to go topless on public beaches and in other public areas. The answer is strictly no, women should not be allowed to go topless anywhere outside of their own home.... [tags: Public Nudity Nude essays research papers]
869 words (2.5 pages)
- Physicians are known to have performed vivisection on animals for hundreds of years, and nowadays animal testing remains an essential element of research in medicine and pharmacology. Animal experimentation has generated heated discussions among scientists, philosophers, and politicians. This issue is very controversial, since it involves ethical questions. While it is generally accepted that testing cosmetics on animals is unnecessary and immoral, there is a debate concerning the use of animals for medical purposes.... [tags: Should animal testing be allowed?]
1935 words (5.5 pages)
- Student-Athletes are known as being a full time student and an full time athlete. In todays society the athletic part overrides the academic part.Nowadays,the NCAA have the student-athletes playing an employee role but compensating them with volunteer benefits.This mean they are not reaping from their work. There are plenty of student-athletes in the collegiate level that are risking their lives daily to fulfill the athletic role. These athletes help bring revenue to the school.So therefore, Student-athletes should be compensated with more than just an scholarship.... [tags: employees that should be allowed to unionize]
907 words (2.6 pages)
- Unfortunately, work stoppages and strikes are not a rare occurrence today. However, they are of great significance in the course of taking care of patients. In particular, a research proves that such strikes provide a “meaningful increase in both hospital mortality and hospital readmission among patients” (Gruber & Kleiner, 2009). Therefore, in order to provide patients with an uninterrupted care, a hospital is to react quickly and develop an action plan. Such a plan, in turn, has to include hiring new staff as soon as possible and training new nurses, that is, ensuring their skills and knowledge.... [tags: Patient, Health care, Strike action, Management]
958 words (2.7 pages)
- School shootings have altered American history greatly over the past two decades. From 1997 to 2007, there have been more than 40 school shootings, resulting in over 70 deaths and many more injuries. School shoot-outs have been increasing in number dramatically in the past 20 years. There are no boundaries as to how old the child would be, or how many people they may kill or injure. At Mount Morris Township, Michigan, on February 29th, 2000, there was a 6 year old boy who shot and killed another 6 year old girl at the Buell Elementary School with a .32 caliber pistol.... [tags: argumentative, persuasive, gun control]
1260 words (3.6 pages)
- Homestead Steel Strike The Homestead Steel Strike occurred in June of 1892. The strike took place in Homestead Pennsylvania and involved the Carnegie Steel Company and the Amalgamated Association of Iron and Steen Workers (the AA). The Leader of Carnegie Steel Company was Mr. Andrew Carnegie. His company produced such cheep materials that creations like bridges and skyscrapers were not only feasible but affordable. He was creating a revolutionary period for steel and iron factories. The Amalgamated Association was an American labor union formed in 1876 to represent iron and steel workers.... [tags: Andrew Carnegie, Homestead Strike, Trade union]
1919 words (5.5 pages)