General Purpose: To inform
Specific Purpose: To inform what needs to be done to stop school violence.
Central Idea: To inform the effects, causes, and solutions of school violence.
Since the April 20, 1999 shooting at Columbine High
School in Littleton, Colorado I have been looking
deeper into the issue of school violence. The number
of extremely violent crimes committed by students has
been increasing in the last few years. These
incidents are not only increasing in number, but in
the amount of bloodshed in each occurrence. Some
experts seek to analyze the effects this violence has.
Others figure the causes to be everything from movies
to video games. In the end it has been determined
that there are many solutions that must work together
to help solve this urgent problem.
I. Effects- 2 main effects
A. Copycat crimes
1. Since the Feb. 19, 1997
shooting in Bethel, Alaska, there have been 9
more school shootings
(Start 'Em Young 1-3).
2. Six of these shootings took
place in a 4-month period.
B. Students feeling unsafe in school
1. For thousands of students
throughout the country, the feeling of being
the next victim looms over
2. For many students, feeling
unsafe creates a very difficult learning
environment (Nolin, Davies,
II. Causes- 3 main causes
A. Parental Violence
1. Children are influenced by what...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Violence is an everyday occurrence in our society. It affects adults and children but it has a greater impact on children. Children are more moldable and are greatly influenced by things they see and hear. More and more violence is becoming prevalent in daily lives. Children all over the world are becoming victims to the same violent acts they witness on TV and at home. Children fall victim to abuse and neglect at home and at school. Children are bombarded with violence from all angles. With the come of the 21st century violence is fueled by money, racism, drugs, and media.... [tags: TV, violence, ]
1295 words (3.7 pages)
- ... According to the article contained in the Harvard Mental Health Letter, Violent Video Games and Young People, they argue against this notion of therapeutic release. They use sources and research date from both the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP) when talking about how detrimental video game violence is to children, especially those that start out playing video games like this at a young age. “Both the AAP and AACAP reason that children learn by observing, mimicking, and adopting behaviors—a basic principle of social learning theory” (“Violent Video Games”).... [tags: a release, sensitization to violence]
1420 words (4.1 pages)
- Violence, one of the biggest problem in the world right now, especially in America, where the gun control law are barely enforced, every citizen is at constant risk, considering the amount of people in this country that own guns. Crime and violence are rapidly becoming the prime epidemic in the U.S today, but what can we do to ensure our future generation’s safety. Gun violence is a big problem everywhere, in poor rural neighborhoods to prosperous urban cities like Malibu, it can happen anywhere at any time.... [tags: violence, gun control]
1442 words (4.1 pages)
- What if a college sponsors an activity, such as an “ugliest woman contest” where boys dress up as girls, and someone in the contest were to dress up as Aunt Jemima. At most public colleges and universities, such a display would be protected by the First Amendment to the Constitution. Wouldn’t it be nice if we didn’t have to worry about people doing such things. Wouldn’t the world be better if people had some common sense and displayed some respect for others by not doing or saying things that would alienate or offend other cultures, races, lifestyles, or sexes.... [tags: College Hate Speech]
3184 words (9.1 pages)
- Free speech is both a universal and national liberty. The United Nations and the United States of America believe that free speech is something that humans should be allowed to exercise. However, each respective group has their own limitations. These limitation, although broad, protect against free speech being taken too far. Like any liberty or privilege there must be a line in the sand to keep extremists from aggressively using and abusing this right. The United Nations formed "The Universal Declaration of Human Rights." With in this declaration are 40 articles with a preamble examining the rights which they believe are basic and necessary.... [tags: Freedom of Speech 2014]
1170 words (3.3 pages)
- Wow, three years have passed and the last day is just as long as the first. Three years of hard discipline and learning to get used to homework every night. Three years of standing on the front steps waiting for my parents and saying goodbye to my teachers. I never thought the goodbye might be permanent. 6th grade came and I was looking up at those giant 8th graders, and now I guess I’m one of them. 6th grade, and I was saying hello, and now 8th grade has come and it’s gone from introductions to goodbyes as my last days as a middle school student wind down.... [tags: Graduation Speech, Commencement Address]
605 words (1.7 pages)
- As you look back on the last four years I'm sure you'll all remember them differently. Some of you will think of them as the best four years of your life and others, the worst. Some of you will think of them as the most fun you've ever had. Some of you will remember the friendships you've created, or all the things you've learned and will carry with you wherever you go. Most of all I think we should remember and be thankful for the fact they've been a relatively safe four years. We've had our share of bumps and bruises, but nothing really major.... [tags: Graduation Speech, Commencement Address]
494 words (1.4 pages)
- I want to say CONGRATULATIONS to the class of 2012. I greatly appreciate sharing my journey with you. I believe the greater the difficulty, the greater the glory and the glory is what we celebrate tonight. When I was first asked to speak in front of the graduation committee, I said to myself, "I can't do this", "what do I have to say anyway", "I don't have time", "I'm in the middle of midterms" and "it's just something else I have to prepare for." After pondering over all these "excuses," I'm here and I have an answer to my own questions.... [tags: Graduation Speech, Commencement Address]
1976 words (5.6 pages)
- Betty Lou is right -- Our achievements of the past four years have been an honor. And so I offer my congratulations to each of you for achieving the honor that comes with high school graduation. Up to this point, high school may be the most exciting and difficult experience of our lives. We've enjoyed the carefree and happy times with WWF-style pep assemblies, dances, Junior T-P nights, and classes with friends. We've had our bad days too, though. The days when we forgot our semester project for C.I.... [tags: Graduation Speech, Commencement Address]
900 words (2.6 pages)
- As graduation has approached, I have contemplated my life's direction and the elements of my past that have combined to place me here, in this moment, as I'm certain we all have. What has inspired us. Do we have regrets. What are we going to do with the rest of our lives. Most importantly, are we truly happy. Frankly, I'm ecstatic. How about you. But what has made me happy in the past. Well, Baskin Robbins, Old Navy, and Survivor to name a few things...But on a more meaningful note, my life has been enriched by compassion.... [tags: Graduation Speech, Commencement Address]
811 words (2.3 pages)