2. Good evening gentlemen. My name is Bobby Hurley. I’ve been in the military now for just over nine years. All this time I’ve always said that I’m going to finish my degree but until this past year I have never been able to stay committed to doing so because I am a procrastinator. I’ve gotten some help with my procrastination from various web sites. That’s why this evening I would like to talk to you about three important aspects of procrastination. These include the reasons for procrastinating, some symptoms of procrastination, and how to cure procrastination, but first, let me explain what procrastination is. Procrastination, though not officially classified as such, is a complex psychological behavior that affects everyone to some degree or another and can have roots in several officially recognized "illnesses", such as phobia, depression, and even low self-esteem. For some people it can be a minor problem but with others it is a source of considerable stress and anxiety.
3. This brings me to my first point, reasons for procrastinating. One reason for this is poor time management. What this is, is not being able to manage your day or yourself effectively. You may be uncertain of your priorities, goals and objectives or may be overwhelmed with the task. As a result, you may put off your academic assignments for a later date. You may also spend a great deal of time with your friends and social activities. Lastly, but most importantly, you worry about your upcoming examinations, class projects or papers rather than completing or studding for them.
4. Another cause of procrastination is having difficulty concentrating. What this is, is your inability to stay focused on one subject or object for any length of time. When you sit at your desk y...
... middle of paper ...
...er projects, use a timer or alarm clock to help you stick with your plan. If you know you will not be able to concentrate on a project for 3 hours, break up your work into 1-hour blocks for 3 days. It's much easier to face an unpleasant task if the time you are giving it is brief.
9. Another method to cure procrastination is to avoid perfectionism. If you accept nothing less than a perfect performance, you may never get to work on a task because you're worried that it won't be perfect. Remember that doing your best is fine, and that giving yourself enough time to do your best will reduce stress.
10. In conclusion, I have covered three important aspects of procrastination to include the reasons for procrastinating, the symptoms of procrastination, and how to cure procrastination. I’d like to thank you for your time and attention and urge you the next time you’re thinking about putting off an assignment or task to think carefully about the long-term side effects. Sure, you might get some good grades or praise from your boss or teacher but eventually it will catch up with you and by that time it will be too late. Thank you.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- According to the text, procrastination is avoiding the less important things in one’s field of study or interest and paying attention to the more important things pertaining to one’s field of study. For example, if a student is seeking a degree in psychology and has an assignment due, he or she might forgo shopping to complete that assignment. Good and Bad Procrastination written by Paul Graham, with the purpose being about different types of procrastination include the difference between procrastinating and putting something less important off until later.... [tags: Procrastination]
731 words (2.1 pages)
- Monday, the beginning of the week, like usual I got up very early to go to school. In school I was very sleepy just like every Monday. I didn’t feel like doing anything of the work the teacher instructed us to do, just like most people in class. So there I was sitting, then I started to daydream, I daydreamed about the boy I liked and me going out on a date just watching a movie and spending the day together. It was then that I looked at the clock and realized that more than fifteen minutes had passed and the class was over.... [tags: Procrastination, ]
635 words (1.8 pages)
- Final exams are due tomorrow and you better get studying. You open your book and notes only to realize it might take all night to review those 13 chapters. Now you have no choice but to ignore Netflix, your DVR list, and bring out that extra caffeine. Didn’t you plan to study during the week. Oh wait… you did on Wednesday, but instead watched funny cat videos on YouTube. Well those cats were hilarious and at least you spent the day doing something you enjoyed. These arguments we have with ourselves when faced with tasks, is the psychological behavior response to our lack of self-control with our behaviors, our emotions, moods, and personalities.... [tags: Procrastination Essays]
1474 words (4.2 pages)
- Procrastination: Gateway to Failure Procrastination in writing is very common and can result in a substantial loss of pretentiously valuable time. There are many reasons that explain why people procrastinate but these reasons are not always the same from one individual to another. A wide variety of psychological aspects result in procrastination, one of which is anxiety. Everyone exercises procrastination at one point or another in their life, however, most people do not know the cause of this action, or lackthereof.... [tags: Procrastination Work Ethic ]
1025 words (2.9 pages)
- When you conquer procrastination, you will learn what it is, how it happens and finally experience success by not allowing it to happen again. Procrastination happens when a task is put off until a later time because the task is not desirable. There are several reasons procrastination happens including, confusion and misunderstanding exactly what needs done and how to do it. Procrastination causes lack of production, loss of time, and decrease in revenue. “Procrastination is one main cause of poor management, lost productivity, and lost revenue” (Ricci, 2004).... [tags: Bad Habits]
505 words (1.4 pages)
- 1. What am I talking about. I am the thief of productiveness and time. I sound simple, but in fact I’m quite complex. I am a strange phenomenon. My purpose seems to make my life more pleasant, but instead it almost always adds stress, disorganization, and frequent failure. I want to achieve some outcome, usually something myself and others can value and respect; “I’ve got to start.” I delay briefly thinking of real and imagined advantages of starting to change later; “I will do it tomorrow.” 2.... [tags: essays research papers]
1019 words (2.9 pages)
- Procrastination What does procrastination mean. Is it the stereotypical meaning of laziness. And this word, “procrastinate” has over time become derogatory and insulting. It has also been applied to the newest generation of the world. I have heard many comments from older folks that, “those teenagers are so lazy, they wait till the last minute to do anything.” But as Dennis Sell comments in the teenager’s defense, “It isn’t procrastination if you intend to do it.” I hope that this doesn’t become a question on the future resume.... [tags: essays research papers]
607 words (1.7 pages)
- Procrastination Procrastination is the avoidance of doing a task that needs to be accomplished. Procrastination has a high potential for painful consequences. It may interfere with our personal or academic success. There are those of us who wait until the due date is a day away. I am not talking about making sure the money is in the bank. I am talking about putting it off because it is a tedious chore that we do not enjoy doing. Procrastination is a big problem for many, and one that can harm your career.... [tags: essays research papers]
1143 words (3.3 pages)
- Procrastination Procrastination is the act or habits of putting things off till the end out of laziness. Almost every student knows this dreaded word. They know if it becomes a habit, disaster happens with a sharp decline in school grades. But what they don’t realize is that procrastinating can actually benefit you in school. It can make you work harder, faster, and more efficiently on school assignments. Even life skills in the real world can be created from procrastinating. Procrastination can actually help you work harder, faster, and more efficiently.... [tags: essays research papers]
514 words (1.5 pages)
- One of the biggest reasons why assignments get a bad mark or are incomplete is because of procrastination. Procrastination has a bad effect on work, and on you. When you procrastinate you don't learn how to discipline yourself, the quality of work suffers, and you get stressed out. The first reason why procrastination is bad is because the quality of work suffers. Sometimes an assignment needs to be proof read first. If you procrastinate you will be more inclined to skip this important step. Another big problem is that you run out of ideas.... [tags: essays research papers]
497 words (1.4 pages)