Persuading an audience can be done in several different fashions, one of which is Hugh Rank’s Model of Persuasion. Rank’s model states that two major strategies are used to achieve the particular goal of persuasion. These strategies are nicely set into two main schemas; the first method is to exaggerate an aspect of something, known as “intensify.” While the second is to discredit it, which is referred to as “downplay.” Al Franken, Jeffrey Snyder, Harlan Ellison, and George Will, have all written persuasive articles about gun control.
In reading all of the various articles on gun control by authors, I found George F. Will’s The Last Word to be the most persuasive. Will wrote his piece about gun control in response to Mr. Snyder’s piece which both suggested and condoned gun use. The reason Will’s response and stance on gun control was so powerful was because he was able to incorporate quotations from Snyder’s article and rebut them with factual and logical information. Will used Rank’s model of persuasion to downplay Snyder’s arguments, and refuted them with his own facts which he intensified to an extent. Will did however take five pages to build his argument for the regulation of guns, and quoted Snyder too frequently, a more succinct and economical approach would have made this article that much more persuasive.
Second place for the most persuasive piece on gun control is Al Franken’s Phil Gramm, Gun Lover, who was i...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Gun Control Gun control is an issue that has plagued the United States Government, Industries, Corporations, the people around the world, and especially the media for various years. It is an issue that can not be solved easily without either infringing on the rights of individuals, or leaving an easier way for terrorists and criminals to harm civilization in the United States. It is also an issue that can be viewed in many ways, and can be acted upon either slowly, or at the drop of a gabble. These things entice the media and draw them in like bait, which in turn can have major and dramatic effects on the points of view of the media’s audience, and it can also portray biased views toward iss... [tags: United States, Barack Obama]
1650 words (4.7 pages)
- From Columbine to Blacksburg and Aurora, gun control has become quite the controversial issue in the United States. As such, sides have been made on the proper means not only to regulate weapons, but also in how it has reshaped America as a whole. Within two articles and an procedure image set around the campus of Virginia Tech, they persuade and reinforce potential readers with the issues surrounding gun control. From the on-campus’ procedures in what to do if caught in such a dire situation and the split message it can give off, the NRA’s outlandish and aggressive stance against President Obama, and President Obama’s vivid, somber statement about the need for change at Umpqua Community Col... [tags: United States, President of the United States]
1137 words (3.2 pages)
- Gun control is the effort to restrict or limit the possession and use of guns. The gun control debate may be one of the most important issues in our society. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 2008 that the 2nd Amendment restrains the government’s ability to ban handguns. Some politicians are passionate about gun control and make voting decisions based upon on this issue alone; hence, the people we elect into office directly affect our lives. A few republican politicians have a strong belief in the right to own guns.... [tags: argumentative, persuasive, gun control]
1562 words (4.5 pages)
- Introduction In America guns have been a part of the country’s society since it’s birth. Throughout history the citizens of the US have used firearms to protect the nation, protect their families, hunt for food and engage in sporting activities. The issue of Guns and gun control is complex. Weighing the rights and liberties of the individual against the welfare and safety of the public has always been a precarious balancing act. In the United States, gun control is one of these tumultuous issues that has both sides firmly entrenched in their positions.... [tags: argumentative, persuasive, gun control]
1430 words (4.1 pages)
- “A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.” The right of all Americans to bear arms is a right the Founding Fathers held to equal importance as the Constitution itself. Gun control laws directly violate this right and therefore should not even be under consideration. Even if that issue is overlooked, gun control advocates state that in order to reduce firearm related violence, gun control laws must be implemented to remove the violence caused by firearms.... [tags: argumentative, persuasive, gun control]
2071 words (5.9 pages)
- U.S congress woman Gabrielle Giffords was shot in the head. This happened in Arizona, a state where guns are allowed in open carry meaning everyone has option to carry a gun as long as it is not concealed. When this congress woman was shot, the shooter became enraged. After shooting 3 more people his gun got jammed, this is when a civilian jumped him and stopped his irrational behavior. This brings up many different opinions on whether guns should be allowed or taken away. John Luik author of the article “The Increased Availability of Guns Reduces Crime” and Sabina Thaler the author of the article “The Claim of Increased Gun Availability Reduces Crime is Unfounded” are two examples of people... [tags: argumentative, persuasive, gun control]
1211 words (3.5 pages)
- Being a young American I have witnessed many problems with growing up in this great country of ours. We have homeless people who can 't find work, rising inflation rates, an unbalanced budget, and more importantly, a problem with guns. Like every other good ol ' boy, I am concerned about being the victim of a random shooting, but at the same time, I want to be able to take down a nice10-point buck during hunting season. Guns effect every one of us every day. They fill us with fear or they make us feel protected.... [tags: Firearm, Gun Control Act of 1968]
1481 words (4.2 pages)
- Mary Read was only 19 years old on the last day of her life. An aspiring elementary school teacher, Mary always had a smile on her face. She baked cookies, cakes, and cupcakes for her friends and family. Mary was the oldest of five children, yet she treated everyone she met as a sister or brother. A beloved freshman at Virginia Tech was to be only the beginning for such a beautiful soul, but instead was an end. On April 16, 2007 an undeserving wretched individual took the life of Mary Read along with 31 others.... [tags: argumentative, persuasive, gun control]
1011 words (2.9 pages)
- Gun control is often considered as an effective means of protecting ordinary citizens. We all want to feel safe, and it's easy to ascribe notions of safety to the idea of gun control. Unfortunately, feeling safe and actually being safe can be very different things. Gun control sounds wonderful in theory: no guns means no shootings. If only it were that simple. When one considers some of the worst shootings and gun-related crimes in recent history, it's peculiar to realize how often these occurred in places where guns were illegal to carry or even own.... [tags: argumentative, persuasive, gun control]
1312 words (3.7 pages)
- Introduction The implementation of gun control in the United states is a large problem as it will take away the 2nd Amendment rights and would also stop the ability of law abiding citizens to protect themselves from criminals who obtain guns illegally. The right to bear arms is promised to citizens of the United States, and to put gun control into effect is to take away their Constitutional rights. Crime is very high in cities that have few gun control laws. However, the problem will not be solved by taking guns away from people who are registered and licensed to carry them.... [tags: Anti Gun Control Essays]
1086 words (3.1 pages)