Parking on Campus is a Pain
New students entering Western Michigan University are allowed to have a car on campus. With every new freshmen class entering each year, parking poses a problem. WMU is already limited in its parking on campus and since freshmen are allowed to have cars, the students are faced with the dilemma of having nowhere to park or parking quite far from their destination. There are parking problems all over the campus, creating backups in residence hall and other lots, resulting in students parking illegally to avoid walking far distances, which can be quite irritating in the bitter cold. Parking closer seems like the rational thing to do, but it is a risk, which can result in hundreds of dollars worth of traffic tickets, or having your car toed away.
Having a car last semester, it was very inconvenient for me to park when it came to driving to class. I was disappointed by the amount of tickets I received, making my parents question whether I really needed a car. I might get a new car next semester but in all honesty I don’t really know if it’s worth it or not, especially if you're living on campus. Riding the bus only involves a shorter walk to class, and I can usually find rides to other places from someone else. Most students however, do want a car and shouldn’t have to think if they should really need one just because of the parking problem on campus.
Parking legally by the residence halls is almost impossible. Students who live at particular dorms find themselves faced with the problem of having to park on the other side of campus. Students who live in the valleys comment that they are surprised with the numerous tickets that are written every day and how it isn’t always clearly spelled out where they can park. They complain on how some parking spaces involve lengthy walks in the freezing cold weather, and how easily the lots fill up. Whenever I'm riding with someone and they have to park by my hall or any other, they usually park in the 30 min parking and leave their car there for hours, or in the faculty lots to avoid walking from the lot up the hill. These actio...
... middle of paper ...
...the school eventually gets enough funding they could build more student lots in more well-located spaces, which would greatly reduce the problem. Removing certain designated letter labeled parking lots would construct a first come first served system for everyone, reducing the amount of tickets issued. Parking has become a problem concerning many more students compared to staff. With enough funding, voting, and hard work, I think that eventually they will think of more ways to make parking more convenient for everyone.
Parking has been a problem on Western’s campus for a while. Only time will tell if it will get any better or not. The biggest contributing factor seems to be that freshmen are allowed to have cars, creating the dilemma of backed lots, parking somewhere else, or risking parking illegally in other spaces. Freshmen will continue to be allowed to have cars for now because WMU wants their students to have a certain level of freedom and make their own decisions. Realizing many lots will be backed can be a pain but it’s the price to pay for allowing every student to have a car on campus.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Unit 1 Paper Lack of Parking Spaces on OU Campus It is hard to find parking on campus, especially during rush hours. Both students and professors are encountering trouble for this crisis. As a simple example, the parking lot next to the Sarkeys building is always full. This problem is a continuous, daily hazard. As a student required to maintain a lot of class schedules and activities, I suffer from the parking problem daily and find that others encounter the same. It is true that the university is working on a new parking garage, but during the construction process, there is no alternative way to settle the crisis.... [tags: Parking, Parking space, Parking lot]
1448 words (4.1 pages)
- Parking on campus needs improving. Students entering the university are allowed to have a car on campus. With every new freshmen class entering parking posses a problem on campus. The campus is already limited in its parking on campus and since freshmen are allowed to have cars, the students before them are faced with the dilemma of how many new freshmen will be bringing a car to school. Parking by the dormitories is almost impossible. Students who live at particular dorms find themselves faced with the problem of having to park on the other side of campus.... [tags: essays research papers]
335 words (1 pages)
- Parking on Campus is a Pain New students entering Western Michigan University are allowed to have a car on campus. With every new freshmen class entering each year, parking poses a problem. WMU is already limited in its parking on campus and since freshmen are allowed to have cars, the students are faced with the dilemma of having nowhere to park or parking quite far from their destination. There are parking problems all over the campus, creating backups in residence hall and other lots, resulting in students parking illegally to avoid walking far distances, which can be quite irritating in the bitter cold.... [tags: essays research papers]
1644 words (4.7 pages)
- Parking, a Major Problem on Campus Why do students and their parents pay such a large amount of money to attend the University of Dayton if there is not going to be any place for parking. I am a first year student at the university so I understand that I am not permitted to have my car on campus (Handbook). My boyfriend on the other hand, lives at least a half hour away and comes to visit me several times a week. He arrives and has to drive for a very long time trying to find a place to park where he will not receive a ticket.... [tags: Essays Papers]
1462 words (4.2 pages)
- Students think that driving to school is fashion and that everyone should drive to campus. This is an issue that has caused big problems since the available parking garages cannot carry the large numbers of cars getting into the colleges. Apart from the students, there are people who use the campus grounds as parking lots to evade taxes. In this case, campuses are overwhelmed with cars that even some students opt to stay away from campus anticipating their will not be able to park their cars. ACC campuses are not exceptions in this mess.... [tags: Parking, Parking space, Parking lot, University]
1097 words (3.1 pages)
- Yellow Parking vs White Parking Just the other day, I arrived at school fifteen minutes before my first class started, but was late as a result of trying to find a parking spot. I drove around the two parking lots that were in the same area as my building, twice, hoping I would get lucky; unfortunately, I was not. I was deciding whether I should park in one of the faculty spots due to there were many of them available, but I did not want to risk getting a ticket from the school. I ended up parking at Burger King across the street, hoping I would not be involved in a car accident while crossing.... [tags: Parking, Parking space, Parking lot, University]
1011 words (2.9 pages)
- Mandating Parking Fees at DACC Undergraduates at DACC will be forced to pay, 200 dollars a year for parking permits. The scholars that will be effected by having to pay the high parking permit expenses are in rage. Examining other nearby colleges parking permit policies should increase the awareness of unfairness. Students will be more accepting of the fees if, the fees are going towards a parking garage. The Administrative staff plans on employing the payment fees for their own financial gain.... [tags: Parking, Parking space, Parking lot, Fee]
1050 words (3 pages)
- Sheridan College rests at the bottom of the beautiful Big Horn Mountains, in a small, friendly Western town where everyone believes that everyone else is their neighbor and treats them as such. After a week at Sheridan College, I guarantee that any visitor would mistake it for Heaven; that is, except for one issue: the lack of parking on campus. Nearly every time in the past that I have attempted to locate a desirable parking spot, I have failed and have had to settle for a spot at least five minutes away from my intended location.... [tags: solutions to solve lack of parking]
1961 words (5.6 pages)
- Parking at BSU, Possible or Not With the diversity of students that attend the University, there are a variety of challenges and advantages that are unique to each sector. Parking on the Boise State University Campus can be a difficult and frustrating but with a little bit of help and information, you can maneuver your way anywhere. Parking is a function that is necessary and required by almost everyone that visits or uses the Boise State University campus. This may range from teachers to visitors to employees.... [tags: College]
1980 words (5.7 pages)
- Parking Deck Project of University The University of ________________ has been confronted with claims of parking shortages over the past several years. Many of these claims were not supported by any facts or figures that explained the cause of the parking shortages. In fact, some of the claims of insufficient parking were based on students not being able to locate parking spaces in the parking lots adjacent to their first class. Due to recent and projected enrollment increases, there now exist a genuine parking shortage.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
1256 words (3.6 pages)