This paper will profile Jeff Hawkins, Chief Technology Officer (CTO) for PalmOne, Inc. examining qualities that Mr. Hawkins exhibits that make him influential leader. The paper will also examine details of the business strategy that make this man an exceptional innovator and his contribution to eBusiness technology.
Jeff Hawkins a graduate of Cornell Universityis best known as “the inventor who, in 1994, took blocks of mahogany and plywood into his garage and emerged with a prototype for the PalmPilot” (PC Magazine, 2000). Joining forces with friend Donna Dubinsky, Jeff “pulled off one of the most successful new-product launches in consumer electronics history, selling 400,000 units when they debuted in 1996. Now Palm Computing owns 80% of the handheld market” (PC Magazine, 2000).
Mr. Hawkins vision combined with his personal commitment and desire to constantly improve processes, efficiency, and develop new technologies has proved Jeff to be a leader in innovation. According to Mr Hawkins, "The future of computing is mobile," The PDA is going to be the way people access Internet data and integrate that data with everything else they need to keep track of. This will be most people's PC and Web terminal" (PC Magazine, 2000).
Jeff has nearly 20 years of technical expertise and is often credited as the designer who “reinvented the handheld market.” According to Jeff, "We didn't get enam...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- “Land of the free, home of the brave”, the United States has stood amongst the most powerful and influential countries of the world for decades and decades. In order to maintain said reputation, the country needs a leader just as strong and influential. In the early 1960s the United States had a leader who was a leader among leaders and had the respect of an entire nation. John Fitzgerald Kennedy was the 35th President, who took office on January 20, 1961- but before that Kennedy was a World War II hero, a United States Senator, and published a book titled Profiles of Courage which won him a Pulitzer Prize (www.famouspeople.com).... [tags: American History]
1132 words (3.2 pages)
- Leadership Profile Paper This paper will profile Jeff Hawkins, Chief Technology Officer (CTO) for PalmOne, Inc. examining qualities that Mr. Hawkins exhibits that make him influential leader. The paper will also examine details of the business strategy that make this man an exceptional innovator and his contribution to eBusiness technology. Vision Jeff Hawkins a graduate of Cornell Universityis best known as “the inventor who, in 1994, took blocks of mahogany and plywood into his garage and emerged with a prototype for the PalmPilot” (PC Magazine, 2000).... [tags: essays research papers]
837 words (2.4 pages)
- Introduction Leadership is a process by which a person influences others to accomplish an objective and directs the organization in a way that makes it more cohesive and coherent (Clark, 1997). Leaders carry out this process by applying their leadership attributes, such as beliefs, values, ethics, character, knowledge, and skills. Bass' (1989 & 1990) theory of leadership states that there are three basic ways to explain how people become leaders. These theories are; some personality traits may lead people naturally into leadership roles.... [tags: Leadership Management Leader Business]
1867 words (5.3 pages)
- “It’s not where you start in life, it’s where you end up and all the places you went in between.” (General Colin Powell) Excellence: is the ultimate goal of every leader. Leaders are not born with it, rather they must build it, achieve it. These leaders are the building blocks of every organization. General Colin Powell is the embodiment of an American leader. After years of military excellence, he continued his career on a political level, retiring after 35 years of servant leadership. In his retirement, General Powell wrote his autobiography My American Journey.... [tags: excellence, American leader, military, leadership]
1086 words (3.1 pages)
- We are one of the leading manufacturers and suppliers of Engine Valves Seats & various types of engine application. Our products are precisely engineered and are known for their durability and resistance against pressure and temperature. Backed by the industry experience of 17 years, we are the prominent manufacturers and suppliers of Engine Valves Seats & various types of engine application. Our range of products includes Engine Valve Seat Inserts, Ring and Header Work. The high quality valves that we manufacture are known for their resistance against extremely high temperature in the combustion chambers of four stroke engines that use natural gas, L.P.... [tags: Business Profile]
1789 words (5.1 pages)
- Henry Kissinger is quoted as saying that the task of a leader is to get people from where they are to where they have not been. This is also a reflection of the work of Vroom & Jago (2007) who state that leaders should motivate others to do great things. With correctional workers, effective leadership and management is essential to the safety of other workers. To those housed in correctional facilities, and to the community at large. How new leaders are trained and prepared for their important role is essential to the success of correctional institutions.... [tags: correctional facilities, leadership programs]
1435 words (4.1 pages)
- Leadership can be interpreted as how a person view him/herself as a reflection on his/her behavior and relationship towards others. The two main attributes of a leadership system are the leaders and their followers. The dynamics of relationship between a leader and his/her followers is often an indicator of the leadership quality. Incidentally, the dynamics of this relationship will much likely be affected by one’s self-concept. Thus, it is possible that leader’s and followers’ personal identity can act as both mediator and moderator of the interconnection between leaders and followers, and how they behave to construct the leadership system (Knippenberg, Cremer & Hogg, 2004).... [tags: leadership systems]
745 words (2.1 pages)
- Of the many ways of classifying and conceptualizing individual differences, some are obvious and quite visible, such as gender, race, language, national origin, social background or class. Other ways rest on less visible but nonetheless influential distinctions such as culture or personality. In this journal I will be concerned with the differences based on the different types of personality profiles according to the Myer Briggs Inventory. I would try to link this differences firstly to my experience working in a team with different personality styles, and secondly to the development of certain leadership skills.... [tags: Personal Reflection]
2077 words (5.9 pages)
- As an officer in the United States Army, it has been imperative for me to understand every facet of leadership and why it remains important to be an effective leader. During this course, I have learned some valuable lessons about myself as a leader and how I can improve on my leadership ability in the future. The journal entries along with the understanding of available leadership theories have been an integral part of my learning during this course. For all of the journals and assessments that I completed, I feel it has given me a good understanding of my current leadership status and my future potential as a leader.... [tags: Leadership Assessment Paper]
3035 words (8.7 pages)
- One of the challenges facing nurses today is learning how to be an effective leader. Assessing and analyzing the style of leadership the nurse possesses is the first step in facing the challenge. The purpose of this paper is to analyze and understand the characteristics of my style of leadership from an assessment performed by Gallup Strength Finders and DiSC and compare the strengths I have in common with Eleanor Roosevelt. For me to be an effective leader, I must first evaluate my strengths. I took the Gallup 2.0 Strength Finder report which showed my strengths in an insight and action planning guide.... [tags: Leadership ]
870 words (2.5 pages)