Kudler Fines Foods is a rapidly growing small business located in Southern California. Founded in 1998, Kudler specializes in providing quality gourmet foods to a wide range of customers.
When Kudler opened its first store back in 1998, Microsoft Access was chosen as the database platform used to track inventory, orders and customers. While this initially proved to be an adequate solution, it has since outgrown its usefulness. Now with three stores and a fourth due to open soon, a new database management system must be put into place.
One of the most detrimental problems with the Microsoft Access database is that it is limited to a file size of only two gigabytes. While this may initially seem like a large files size, it can rapidly grow and eventually reach this maximum size in a relatively short amount of time. This one drawback alone is reason enough to pursue a better solution.
Another aspect of Microsoft Access that does not scale well is that it will not accommodate multiple users simultaneously. The database needs to be updated continuously by multiple users at each store. Running one instance of Microsoft SQL Server 2000 in a centralized location could easily handle the database needs of all of the store locations. Connections to the database could be made via Virtual Private Network (VPN) connections over the Internet. Updates to the database can be further streamlined by developing and utilizing a web based interface.
The best solution for Kudler Fine Foods would be to implement an enterprise level database solution. Microsoft SQL Server 2000 would be a great fit for the database needs of Kudler Fine Foods. Microsoft SQL Server 2000 will easily meet the current needs of Kudler Fine Foods and also meet their needs of the future as they continue their growth.
Existing Database Overview
Currently the Kudler database contains nine tables. Each table is designed
to support and facilitate the filling of orders placed by customers in the stores. Based upon the description of the tables that was posted on Kudler’s intranet and our analysis, the tables may be described in the following manner:
The Customer table contains demographic data for each of Kudler’s customers. The data in this table is used to access the name and address of customers for order processing and for special maili...
... middle of paper ...
... in Windows NT would automatically change and update the SQL Server password. If separate logins are desired, they will also be possible with the Mixed Authentication offered through Microsoft SQL Server 2000. The security settings will be able to be further customized by the use of permissions and roles. A permission allows a user to do something within the database, whether it is accessing and manipulating data or creating new objects within the database. These settings can be individualized, or given to a group of users by roles. Grouping the users into roles, either server or database roles, allows a way to assign permissions to multiple users at one time. For example, a salesperson would not have the same permissions as a manager probably would.
The changes and updates that we have outline throughout this paper would greatly improve and enhance Kudler’s operations. This would be a much more effective, efficient database that would not only serve them well today, but allow for growth for tomorrow.
Developer.com – Retrieved on June 3, 2005, on the World Wide Web: http://www.developer.com/tech/article.php/10923_721441_1
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Kudler Fine Foods Database Project Background and Business Application Proposal Kudler Fine Foods is an upscale specialty food store, servicing the fine food conesouer from their three California locations. Kudler's business objective is to maximize profits by offering the highest quality products at competitive prices. Through adding the on-line ordering system, Kudler hopes to boost profits by increasing their customer base beyond customers in their local areas. The Kudler on-line ordering system will add three important advantages to Kudler customers.... [tags: on-line ordering system business Essays]
898 words (2.6 pages)
- Kudler Fine Foods is a gourmet foods retailer founded in 1998 by Kathy Kudler in LaJolla, California. Kudler offers a wide variety of fine wines and gourmet cheeses, European-style baked goods, organic meats, seafood, produce, and exotic herbs and spices. Appealing to connoisseurs of gourmet foods has enabled Kudler to grow steadily, adding stores in Del Mar in 2000 and Encinitas in 2003 (Apollo Group, 2005). This report will examine Kudlers current management strategy as well as changes in technology and how this can create new opportunities for Kudler.... [tags: Kudler Fine Foods Case Study]
1591 words (4.5 pages)
- Strategy Assignment Kathy Kudler is the creator of Kudler Fine Foods. Kathy’s primary goal in establishing KFF was to create a retail store that provides a selection of gourmet foods in order to meet the needs of the typical person all within one store. A wide variety of foods are offered at Kudler Fine Foods. The many different departments include gourmet baked goods, dairy, cheese, wine, organic and non organic produce sections, fresh meats, and seafood. Furthermore, the three different retail locations will offer cooking classes in addition to monthly cheese and wine customer appreciation classes.... [tags: Kudler Fine Foods Case Study Analysis]
1290 words (3.7 pages)
- The Need of an Upgraded System for Kudler Fine Foods Kudler fine Foods are in dire need of an upgraded system as well as a better constructed database. It is recognized that there are three stores involved, and downtime is unacceptable. This document will outline the requirements needed from different section, such as Marketing, Human Resources, and Management to name a few. Currently, there is a collection of information, but many of the systems are not automated. We will outline areas that we feel need improvement.... [tags: Kudler Fine Foods Marketing Finances Essays]
1364 words (3.9 pages)
- Kudler Fine Foods is a grocery food establishment that serves an upscale customer base. Kudler Fine Foods will start to focus in of how to expand upon their services and stream line the organizational process by improving the efficiency of the entire operations. The success will be measured by Kudler Fine Foods ability to integration a new system which will incorporate a database system. Kudler Fine Foods marketing should be able to easily see the most popular products purchased by customers depending on income levels, area of residence, gender, shopping location along with any other categories that marketing wants to add.... [tags: Market Analysis]
933 words (2.7 pages)
- The Company The company is a store name Kudler Fine Foods, supplying the freshest ingredients and the tools enabling their customers to become a gourmet cook. They are a specialized food store with a worldwide selection of vegetables, meats, wines, and cheese, to mention a few. The stores are own by Kath Kudler, became a reality in 1998, and today continues to grow with high expectations offering their customers the convenience of a one-stop shopping experience. Ms. Kudler opens her first store in La Jolla, and after a five-year plan, opens her third store in Encinitas.... [tags: Business Analysis]
1352 words (3.9 pages)
- Kathy Kudler decided to open her own gourmet food shop. Her vision was to create one store that would stock a wide selection of the freshest ingredients as well as all the tools a gourmet cook could ever want. Kathy was certain that combining the convenience of one-stop shopping with reasonable prices would be a recipe for success. Kathy's vision became a reality in 1998 with the opening of the La Jolla store. Her concept was an immediate success and in two years Kudler's expanded with the opening of the Del Mar location.... [tags: Business Management]
1103 words (3.2 pages)
- Introduction Through assessment and analysis, it can be seen that Kudler Fine Foods has proved itself to be a savvy, creative, and up and coming customer oriented business. Kudler Foods articulates its’ business culture through it’s’ employee training programs, employee enhancement, employee cultivation as well as through its’ endless pursuit to provide customer satisfaction. This paper will assess how changes in technology have created business opportunities for Kudler, identify the pursuit of Kudler’s generic strategy, identify tactics Kudler should implement to realize that strategy, and describe how Kudler Foods management can continuously scout the fine foods grocer industry for i... [tags: Business Analysis Management Strategy]
1784 words (5.1 pages)
- Kudler Fine Foods Project Kudler Fine Foods Background Information Kudler Fine Foods is a local upscale specialty food store located in the San Diego metropolitan area. The company has three locations (La Jolla, Del Mar and Encinitas). The stores are stocked with the very best domestic and imported foodstuffs. Kathy Kudler, working in another career was looking for other opportunities and to expand her horizons. As it happened, Kathy relieved her stress through gourmet cooking and on a shopping trip for ingredients for a gourmet repast; she suddenly realized that there was an opportunity for an upscale epicurean food shop in La Jolla.... [tags: Business Analysis Marketing]
1012 words (2.9 pages)
- Overview of Management-Kudler Fine Foods Kudler Fine Foods, a gourmet food store was founded by Kathy Kudler in 1998 with the vision to provide customers with a variety of quality products such as bakery, meat and seafood, cheese and dairy, wine, and produce with over 350 fresh fruits, vegetables, herbs and spices from all over the world. Kudler Fine Foods opened its first store at La Jolla, California and within five years of operations expanded to Del Mar in the year 2000 and Encinitas in the year 2003 all stores located in San Diego County, California.... [tags: Business Management ]
877 words (2.5 pages)