Throughout my one hundred and twenty-hour experience with the Gloversville Police Department, I learned many skills, values and the ways of this Police Department. Many of the calls and situations I went to often could relate to a certain theory that I learned in any of my law classes. I would recommend any student majoring in Criminal Justice to try to take an internship with a local law enforcement agency. I am currently signed up for the civil service test for Gloversville Police Department, If I do qualify for the Police I believe that this internship will give me a huge head start.
Some experiences that I encountered were DWI'S, Assaults, Traffic Tickets, Domestic Disputes, and going into the bars for ABC checks. The best Dwi I saw was when we pulled over a twenty-nine year old Marine. The officer that I was with wanted to let him go but couldn't because of the condition of the offender. So we cuffed him and brought him to the station. While filling out the report for him we get a call about a kid who was struck at a bar by another man. We asked if he wanted to press charges and he replied with a yes. We went to his house and found out it was a twenty-five year-old who was majoring to be a lawyer. The officer I was with that night knew this kid and thought very low of him because of past incidents. Come to find out the twenty-nine year old we had in custody was the one that had assaulted him earlier in the bar. We told him to come down in the morning and sign to press charges. When we got back to the station the Officer I was with asked him why he didn?t hit him harder. It was way to make him laugh and relax. After that we all got talking and it actually did calm him down and I learned that even though someone committed a crime that it doesn?t necessarily mean that person is a bad person.
When dealing with assaults I learned that no matter how much you agree with a person or want to believe a person that you cant take sides. To me this was one of the major lessons that I learned in this program. We were dispatched to a call at the Caboose for a fight. When we arrived I saw two younger males and an older male fighting. Immediately I thought that the two younger males were drinking and started a fight with this older man who was walking down the street. To my mistake we found out that the two men were helpi...
... middle of paper ...
... that will hopefully improve my handwriting skills. Besides the writing I feel that most of my skills are good. If I become an Officer myself I believe that these would only improve.
If I were to be grading myself on this internship program I would give myself a B. I believe that I would deserve an A but this paper itself is not the certain length required. Through the program I learned a lot of valuable information about police departments themselves and how they work because I was actually there. No teacher could have taught this to any students, its something that they would have to experience themselves and something that I highly recommend to any student who is serious about taking criminal justice. The internship program was one of my best experiences with college. I learned a lot of information dealing with the Police and how they work. I also learned that I want a career in this field. I want a job that is different everyday and I don?t know what?s going to happen day after day.
Thank you for creating the opportunity for me to experience what it?s like in a Police Department. I greatly appreciate all the time and effort you put forward for me to do this internship.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- My internship was completed at the Rochester Police Department located at 400 Sixth Street Rochester, Michigan. For the first half of completed hours, I was placed on day shifts which are from the hours of 0800 to 1600. Day shift consisted of mainly office work with a few calls here and there. For the second half of completed hours, I was placed on night shifts which are from the hours of 2000 to 0400. Night shift consisted of ride alongs and handling citizen complaints about other citizens. These calls covered everything from alarms going off to sobriety tests to traffic stops.... [tags: Police, Constable, Parking violation, Rochester]
1735 words (5 pages)
- Introduction During my summer internship at the Charlotte- Mecklenburg Police Department, I was assigned to the Crime Analysis Division. As an intern in this division I was assigned a multitude of tasks that varied from day to day and I was responsible for completing them in a timely and accurate manner. Upon first arriving I was giving a long term project where I periodically updated and improved upon a PowerPoint slide show that contained all of the pictures of suspects in numerous fraud cases.... [tags: Police, Criminal justice, Crime, Constable]
1425 words (4.1 pages)
- The National Association of Colleges and Employers statistics states that in 2012 60 percent of college graduates who partook in an internship received no less than one job offer. ( Matthew this is where I found this. You will need to cite it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. http://internships.fiu.edu/faculty-staff/benefits-internships/index.html) There are various advantages of internships, for example, acquiring real world experience, it exposes students to different fields, as well as it helps students build their professional network.... [tags: Police, Constable, Terre Haute, Indiana]
2435 words (7 pages)
- This 2015 spring semester I was interning with the Milan Police Department in Milan, Michigan. Milan is a very small and safe community. Before staring my internship I asked my friends, police officers and former coach what kind of place Milan as well as noticing myself the great first impression of the City of Milan. The whole outlook of this city made it my first choice to do my internship. Many of my college friends are from Milan, as well as my former coach and they all recommended Milan and all had good things to say.... [tags: Police, Constable, Police officer]
3982 words (11.4 pages)
- For my Internship, I was lucky enough to do it with South Elgin Police department, which is located on ten north water street in South Elgin Illinois, 60177. There are about thirty members that work for the South Elgin Police Department. South Elgin Police department is a public safety service that is for the community of South Elgin. Their mission is to exist to enhance the quality of life for the South Elgin Community that supports core values. Such as integrity, reputation, family, faith, progressive and compassion for other people.... [tags: Police, Constable, Crime, Police officer]
1424 words (4.1 pages)
- The internship program that I had was a great experience to me. The internship is important for any student to improve his skills in his career. My internship program was a fantastic experience because I worked and visited many agencies and I learned impressive things about their ways to work. There are many things I would like to take them with me to Saudi Arabia and apply them there. In March 2015, I started my internship with New Haven Police Department. The police system in the United States is different from Saudi Arabia.... [tags: Police, United States, Saudi Arabia, Constable]
1462 words (4.2 pages)
- In 1997, the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation conducted a study that looked at forty cases of “serious assault” against a law enforcement agency member nationwide. Of the fifty-two officers involved in the incidents, forty-seven self-identified as being in “excellent” health at the time. Each of these officers were involved in some type of physical fitness program, typically weightlifting and/or running. In these incidences of “serious assault,” law enforcement officers regularly accredited their surviving the incidence to their maintaining a high level of physical fitness.... [tags: police officers, police academy, police fitness]
1720 words (4.9 pages)
- This past semester I interned at the Dutchess County Sheriff’s Department. This was a unique experience for me and really changed my perspective on the possibility of having a law enforcement job as a police officer. Ultimately, I would like for my career path to result in me being a special agent for the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Getting hired as a special agent with the FBI is very competitive, and as of right now it is extremely hard to get a job with them straight out of college. Luckily, for myself I have a good point of contact with the FBI, in which I was able to have a on the phone, and in person interview with my cousin John Dolan, who is the Acting Assistant Special Agent i... [tags: Federal Bureau of Investigation, Police]
1457 words (4.2 pages)
Louisville Metro Police Department ( Lmpd ) Is An Agency That Works The Frontline Of The Criminal Justice System
- Louisville Metro Police Department (LMPD) is an agency that works the frontline of the criminal justice system. Although geographical jurisdiction is limited to Jefferson County, they have a greater legal jurisdiction compared to many other state and federal agencies. LMPD officers have the ability to enforce both local metropolitan laws and state laws. This agency is responsible for a variety of services including, but not limited to enforcing traffic laws, investigation accidents, patrolling, being first responders to incidents, investigating property crime, investigating violent crime, responding to request for service and order maintenance, investigation of murders, animal control and s... [tags: Crime, Police, Louisville, Kentucky]
1349 words (3.9 pages)
- Internship I have now come to the conclusion of my internship at END DWI (End Driving While Intoxicated). Our organizations mission is to reduce, if not end, the number of deaths and tragedies that are caused by the carelessness of drunk driving. The amount of people killed every year by drunk driving is astonishing. Picture this, you could fill every seat at Madison Square Garden with people killed by drunk driving. END DWI is committed to limiting this senseless tragedy and has done an excellent job in many factors relating to this subject.... [tags: Papers]
800 words (2.3 pages)