Is it because movies and video games have become more violent? Is it because they make death seem to be heroic, romantic, and glamorous? A 16-year-old boy who attempted suicide because of teasing at school said that before he tried to commit suicide he imagined his funeral with all the people who teased him feeling horrible about what they had done. He didn’t seem to think that when he died it would be over. All he cared about was that dieing would just get him revenge. So is it because teenagers are less realistic about death that caused the suicide rate to triple?
Or is it because of the breakdown of the family? In 1980 there were only 411 cases of divorces for youths under 25 and in 1999 there were 824. The amount of divorces has more then doubled. More and more families are getting divorced an...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Informative Speech: The History of Pluto Specific Purpose Statement: By the end of my speech my audience will be able to explain the history behind Pluto becoming a planet and in turn losing its planetary status. INTRODUCTION: Attention Getter: Growing up learning about the planets my first grade teacher told me, “My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pies” was a way to remember the order of the planets. Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto. Apparently now teachers teach it as, “My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nachos”.... [tags: Informative Speech]
1112 words (3.2 pages)
- General Purpose: To inform the audience about the cause, affect and ways to manage stress. Specific Purpose Statement: The audience will learn what causes stress and how stress can affect their health, and how they can manage their everyday stress with different techniques. INTRODUCTION Attention Getter: Life is like a huge roller coaster, a journey full of twists and turns, and ups and downs. And sometimes in this journey there arises various situations where one is unable to deal with these turns, let alone have the energy to face the ups and downs.... [tags: Informative Speech]
893 words (2.6 pages)
- The Media's Influence on Teenage Suicide Fiction: Only “bad” kids who have the wrong friends and bad lives commit suicide. Fact: Kids who have the right friends and a bright future in front of them commit suicide. Fiction: Music, movies, and other forms of media do not influence teenagers in any way, shape, or form. Fact: Music, movies, and other forms of media are influencing teenagers to commit suicide. Teenage suicide is on the rise at an alarming rate. While depression and other social pressures play a significant role in suicide among teenagers, there is evidence showing that music, movies, and other ways the media portrays suicide as glamorous and noble is having a major in... [tags: Teenage Suicide Essays]
1773 words (5.1 pages)
- When people think about suicide, they think about someone taking their life away on purpose, or in other words it means, “to kill yourself” (Marcus 1). Suicide is a dramatic word that can change the way people view things in life. It is a thought that brings a teen to the point of self-murder. It is an event where a young one feels desperation and pain just before pulling the trigger or jumping off the bridge. Many of those who have thought about suicide or have committed suicide have done so because their life has changed, and many are having difficulty adjusting to it.... [tags: Teenage Suicide Essays]
1923 words (5.5 pages)
- Illegal Drugs Informative Speech Introduction: Marijuana, cocaine, heroin, PCP, speed, shrooms, crystal meth, and angel dust are all types of illegal drugs. What is an illegal drug. An illegal drug is something and often a substance that causes addiction, habituation, or a marked change in consciousness. Body: I. Illegal Drugs The use of illegal drugs in the United States is considered by some to be the biggest problem in our society. Over 40% of high school seniors use some kind of illegal drug, and in a recent 1999 National Household Survey on Drug Abuse showed that the three most common drugs are Marijuana used by 11,100,000 people, Cocaine used by 1,500,000 people, and inhalants... [tags: Example Informative Speech]
549 words (1.6 pages)
- Every year thousands of youth in the United States die, not by car accidents or diseases, but by their own hands. Every 90 seconds a teenager commits suicide. Suicide is the third leading cause of death among 15 to 25 year olds. Suicide accounts for 12 percent of the mortality in the adolescent and young adult group. Males are more likely than females to follow through with suicide. For every successful suicide there are fifty to one hundred adolescent suicide attempts. More than five percent of all teenagers try to commit suicide.... [tags: Teenage Suicide Essays]
534 words (1.5 pages)
- Teenage Suicide The killing of own life intentionally is referred as suicide. Over the past years, American society has been concerned about this issue, especially teenage suicide. The suicide rate among teenagers is not constant for a period of time; it keeps changing over time. Most of the time, the suicide rate among boys is greater than that among girls. Different types of people in our society respond to this issue in different ways. Earlier in this year, some 932 parents of adolescents completed a questionnaire of 30 common psychological medical concerns of adolescence, among which suicide was one item.... [tags: Teenage Suicide Essays]
1311 words (3.7 pages)
- Suicide is an issue that many young people struggle with everyday. Suicide is the third leading cause of death, behind accidents and homicide, among adolescents. The middle teenage years are the years with the greatest incidence of teen suicide (Fritz, 2001). 7 percent of youths under the age of 25 have attempted suicide at least once (Psychology Today, 2001). These statistics alone show that teenage suicide is something that needs to be dealt with. There are many risk warning signs, and ways to prevent teenage suicide.... [tags: Teenage Suicide Essays]
1309 words (3.7 pages)
- Teenage suicide has become a critical, national problem the extent of which is mind boggling. From 1980 to 1992 the rate of suicides involving persons from the ages of 10-14 years old has increased by 120 percent, and has increased 28.3 percent when involving persons from the ages of 15-19 years old (Suicide 451). More recently in a poll of 3,210 high-school honor students, a stunning one-quarter have seriously considered suicide (Eaton 15). Suicides have been proven to be one of the leading causes of death among teens, falling second only to accidents (Roberts 45).... [tags: Teenage Suicide Essays]
1202 words (3.4 pages)
- Teenage Suicide Each day 86 Americans take their own lives and another 1,500 attempts to do so. Even more disturbing is that suicide among a young people nation wide have increased dramatically in recent years. In fact thousands of teenagers each year commit suicide. It is the third leading cause of death among young adults aged 15-24. With the first two leading causes being unintentional injury and homicide. There are many reasons why teenagers feel the need to take their own life. They are at a time in their life where they are strongly feeling stress, confusion, self doubt, pressure to succeed, and other fears while growing.... [tags: Teenage Suicide Essays]
1392 words (4 pages)