As we grow older, we are supposed to become wiser and smarter about the world around us. We sometimes fall into the trap of thinking someone looks nice, act nice towards us, and is trying to help us. We have seen on too many occasions of these kinds of acts, or more importantly these kinds of people, take advantage of the retired. You have worked your share, and now it is your time to relax and enjoy life. Educating yourself involves doing a little research about something someone tells you. For example, if you need your house painted or maintenance done, ask a friend if they have used someone. Check references and ask for certifications, documentations or state certifications. If someone drives up and solicits a service to you without you initiating it, ask yourself what are their motivations. Educating yourself goes a long way to protecting the interest that you have worked so hard for over the years.
The second part of reducing the chance of becoming a victim is paying attention to the details. Things that seem out of the ordinary, such as a stranger in the neighborhood at odd hours of the day. People that don’t belong in certain situations, such as a man walking into a bank in the middle of the summer wearing long sleeve jacket. These types of situations may seem funny, but...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Victim precipitation is a theory in criminology that analyzes how a victim 's interaction with the offender may have contributed to the crime being committed. Variation of intent by the offender and how the victim may or may not have contributed to the crime, regardless of the actions. With some offenders looking for the right situation to commit a crime, others show little to no prior intent. The approach with assumption that all offenders are equal in their drive and desire to engage in criminal activity was untenable.... [tags: Crime, Criminology, Victimology, Victim]
714 words (2 pages)
- There are many ways, where you can become a victim of a crime. In every crime, there is a victim. There is no required age limit in becoming a victim of a crime, from infant to elderly you can become a victim of any crime. In some instances you can be a victim of fraud, sexual abuse, mental and physical abuse. Victim advocates are and can be based on the type of crime victims (National Organization for Victim Assistance, 2015). But given in your time of need the government has giving us the resources of having victim advocates (U.S.... [tags: Police, Victim, Crime, Criminology]
1234 words (3.5 pages)
- Upon arriving on scene you find a wood frame structure with heavy smoke pushing out of every opening. The smoke is very heavy and very dark black due to the incomplete combustion of kerosene fuel oil from a kerosene space heater. This incomplete combustion is caused by the a low amount of oxygen in the air, and this causes carbon monoxide and carbon to be produced instead of carbon dioxide. As the video progresses a fan is noticed at the front door as well as a firefighter walking around the house breaking windows.... [tags: Oxygen, Carbon dioxide, Combustion, Carbon]
734 words (2.1 pages)
- According to Encyclopedia Britannica, the legal definition of rape has been changed as it was narrow with the focus on gender and age. Rape was once defined as an act of sexual intercourse with an individual without his or her consent, through force or the threat of force. Rape is now understood as a pathological assertion of power over a victim. Rape can have a detrimental impact on a victim’s lifestyle because of the trauma one experience, and it may result in psychological or social behavioral changes, but society fails to realize how this trauma impacts and changes its victims.... [tags: Rape, Sexual intercourse, Sexual assault, Victim]
1257 words (3.6 pages)
- In about the time it takes you to brush your teeth, someone is becoming a victim of sexual assault. In 2013 there were 334,297 reported cases of sexual assault , of those, 44% of the victims were under the age of 18, according to Rape, Assault, Incest National Network or RAINN. Over half, 68%, of sexual assaults are not reported to authorities, and because of that 98% of rapists will never see the inside of a jail cell. Sadly there is an even more shocking statistic, 4/5 victims know who their assaulter is.... [tags: Rape, Sexual assault, Sexual intercourse, Victim]
700 words (2 pages)
- Did you know that dog ownership reduces stress and chances of depression. Dogs are truly man’s best friend because they make people all around better off, both physically and emotionally. This Pedigree advertisement is targeted towards individuals that do not own dogs because they will see the happiness that dogs bring to their lives in this advertisement. There are two images; the only difference between the two is that one has a dog and one doesn’t. The small change in the image makes a huge impact in how it is perceived.... [tags: Dog, Pet, Animal shelter, Emotion]
1598 words (4.6 pages)
- The Victim Offender Mediation Association was developed out of the informal network of practitioners, researchers, and theorists in victim-offender mediation and restorative justice in the early 1980’s. It was originally called the U.S. Association for Victim-Offender Mediation and became VOMA in 1997. Being an international organization there are currently 350 members and 30 agency members in the 40 states and 7 countries. Victim-offender mediation programs around the world have increased to more than 1200 since 1990.... [tags: Restorative justice, Victim, Criminal justice]
905 words (2.6 pages)
- Human Trafficking At age fourteen, she thought she had the whole world figured out. Rolling her eyes at her parents two rooms down, she threw her bag over her shoulder and climbed through the small window. With the twisted intentions to teach her mother a lesson, the young girl ran across the yard, heading for the road. She believed that she would be coming back by lunchtime the next day, only running away long enough to make her parents worry. She thought that she was safe out there on her own, but she was wrong.... [tags: Human trafficking, Prostitution, Poverty, Victim]
856 words (2.4 pages)
- Blind Faith Exposed in The Victim of Aulis During World War II, an entire race of people was decimated as a result of blind adherence to one charismatic ruler; the holocaust has become emblematic of the senseless horror of war and the loss of innocent lives. Perhaps influenced by World War II, the Korean War, and the questioning of complete adherence to authority, whose seeds were just breaking through the glorious façade of the 1950's suburban idyll, Dannie Abse wrote "The Victim of Aulis" in 1951-6.... [tags: Victim of Aulis Essays]
1004 words (2.9 pages)
- The Victim As a victim Lester Ballard, the main character in Child of God by Cormac McCarthy, never thought that victimizing and murdering others was unjust. If justification is law according to the theory of an eye for an eye, then in many ways Ballard had justification for his actions. Ballard lived by the golden rule, which is to treat others as you wish to be treated. In the following paragraphs I will explain how Lester is a victim and why he is justified to victimize others. GRAPH Lester Ballard did not have the happy, normal childhood we all expect or imagine everyone to have.... [tags: Essays Papers]
1314 words (3.8 pages)