-W.E.B Du Bois, Black Reconstruction, 1935
As early as age thirteen, we start learning about the Holocaust in classrooms and in textbooks. We learn that in the 1940s, the German Nazi party (led by Adolph Hitler) intentionally performed a mass genocide in order to try to breed a perfect population of human beings. Jews were the first peoples to be put into ghettos and eventually sent by train to concentration camps like Auschwitz and Buchenwald. At these places, each person was separated from their families and given a number. In essence, these people were no longer people at all; they were machines. An estimation of six million deaths resulting from the Holocaust has been recorded and is mourned by descendants of these people every day. There are, however, some individuals who claim that this horrific event never took place.
It is very difficult to deny the deaths of millions of Jews and other
“imperfect” peoples, and it takes a great deal of work and effort to logically put forth such an assertion. These Holocaust deniers argue that the Holocaust is just a fable to show people what can happen when a person or group of people tries to play God. This outrageous claim could result from several factors, and can only begin to be understood after intense research and analysis of influences and motives of Holocaust deniers. In almost every case of a denial of the Holocaust, there is a personal political agenda backing it.
Before it can be understood why the claims of these people are so outrageous, the two sides to the issue of the occurrence of the Holocaust must be explained. The majority of people believe that it did occur and use pictures, memoirs, letters, and other primary sources from the time to prove its existence. On the other hand, there is the smaller community of people who claim that there was no Holocaust. These are radical groups and self-described “revisionists. Those denying the event say that concentration camps were built after World War II was over as propaganda, and that the death toll numbers were simply made up. In their opi...
... middle of paper ...
...ing”, so to speak. The goal of Holocaust deniers everywhere is to place blame on the imperfect victims, not the Aryan race, Hitler’s perfect population.
The Holocaust was a dark time not only in Jewish history, but also in the history of mankind. The conclusion that all people are not equal and those of lesser value need to be exteminated is one that should never have been made. The concrete evidence that we, as a society, have today seems to prove that the Jewish Genocide by the Nazi people did indeed happen. In addition, it is very difficult to reasonably doubt this event, and people who do so seem to always have a political plan attached to it. David Duke used his radical position to gain almost half the voter’s in Louisiana’s support, and Patrick Buchanan used it to try to help his political campaign. Since Duke is not a household name or a prominent political figure, and Buchanan (though he is an accomplished author) did not win his presidential election in the early 90s. It is bad enough that the Holocaust happened, and even worse that people deny it happened, but the worst part remains that political figures still use the denial to further their respective careers.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... To solve this, Hitler had Concentration Camps set up to where the Jews could perform back breaking labor to meet the supply and war demand. This, by itself, is teetering on the edge of genocide. As most see it, this is most certainly genocide. The people attacked were attacked in their own homes, beaten on the streets, and hated throughout and entire nation, and let’s not forget that 11 million of them were swiftly murdered solely because of their believes. Seeing the facts given to us, most people do not see how you can say that this is not genocide, but merrily a casualty of World War II.... [tags: Holocaust, Nazi death camps]
863 words (2.5 pages)
- Are You in Denial. Imagine if someone said that everything that happen to you in your life was a lie. The Holocaust survivors have to go through the rest of their life being told what they went through was a lie. These people are called Holocaust deniers, and they say the Holocaust never happened and teach other people to believe that it never happened. Holocaust denial is very wrong because it is prejudice toward Jews, hurtful to Holocaust survivors, and some things deniers say are not true. Denying the Holocaust is pretty much being prejudice toward Jews.... [tags: jews, holocaust deniers]
977 words (2.8 pages)
- There is no single definition of ‘Holocaust denial’ or the individuals who preach it. However, scholars may define it as simply the claiming that the Nazis had no plan to exterminate Jews, that the numerous accusations of mass killings via gas chambers are false, or that the figure of 6 million murdered Jews is an irresponsible exaggeration.1 Additionally, many Holocaust deniers believe the Holocaust to be a means of deceit, created by the Soviet communists, the Allies, and the Jews in order to contain the dire truths of their own misdemeanours.... [tags: Holocaust Denial Essays]
1204 words (3.4 pages)
- Growing up, people learn about the past of their own kind and of the world they live in. One reads history in books, hears history from parents, and studies history at schools. Knowing the history of one's ancestors allows one to understand the past and change for a better future. Significant battles, civil movements, and reformations teach people valuable lessons and help the society to improve. The Holocaust, one of the most well-known history events, represents a perfect historical example of discrimination and racism.... [tags: adolf hitler, facist leaders, nazi]
1333 words (3.8 pages)
- ... On December 4, 2005 Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad called the Holocaust a “myth”. In 2009, Catholic Bishop Richard Williamson denied the existence of gas chambers and diminished the extent of the killings of millions of people (Holocaust). In the U.S., Holocaust denial is not illegal due to the First Amendment of the US Constitution that states, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech.” Other countries making Holocaust denial illegal should not change Americans’ basic rights.... [tags: religion, jews, canada]
1139 words (3.3 pages)
- Denial of Life is Wrong What if people said your life never happened. People who lived through the Holocaust have to live with Holocaust deniers saying their life never happened. Holocaust survivors find this hurtful. If someone said your life never happened you would be just as mad as the Holocaust survivors. This is why Holocaust deniers are wrong because there were concentration camps, people lived through it, and there are artifacts from the Holocaust. After the Holocaust there were leftover concentration camps.... [tags: nazi, Auschwitz, jews]
885 words (2.5 pages)
- Why would someone believe the Holocaust never existed. It has been proven with evidence and could be quite offensive to Holocaust survivors’ families. Despite overwhelming evidence and an admission and apology from Germany decades ago, revisionists continue to claim that nearly six million Jews were not killed by Nazis during the Holocaust (Holocaust Revisionism n.pag.) They believe the number was nowhere near six million and that they didn’t even prove that six thousand were killed. There are some reasons as to why some people may think the Holocaust did not ever happen, but there proven facts that it did occur, despite of what others think.... [tags: survivors, revisionists]
923 words (2.6 pages)
- Genocide is best described as: “the deliberate and systematic extermination of a national, racial, political, or cultural group.” “If the holocaust is not a fact, then nothing is a fact.” A major part of the Holocaust genocide is denial. Holocaust denial is present in the United States, Europe, and Canada. These people, known as “revisionists” try to deny the extermination of six million Jews during World War II. The revisionists claim that there are no documents to prove the holocaust actually existed (Holocaust Denial n.... [tags: genocide, WWII]
1217 words (3.5 pages)
- In 2009, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran called the Holocaust a "lie and a mythical claim" on NPR news (Whitelaw). The hype over Muslims denying the Holocaust has existed for many years, and many people believe that Ahmadinejad made this claim out of the fear that the Holocaust will legitimize the claim of the Israeli. But just last week, on the same day that Ahmadinejad addressed the United Nations General Assembly on this matter again, a Moroccan college student named Elmedhi Boudra organized a convention devoted to remembering the Holocaust.... [tags: Muslim Denial, Convention]
537 words (1.5 pages)
- Holocaust Denial Propaganda The Holocaust that took place during World War II is a very important incident in history. It is used as an example to prevent this from happening again. Today there is a movement that has the main goal of denying the Holocaust and that it ever happened. This propaganda movement targets the youth by placing ads in college newspapers. The denial of the Holocaust has been publicly present since the Nuremberg trials. Today the Holocaust denial is a propaganda movement whose goal is to deny the truth behind the Nazi regime’s mass murder of 6 million Jews during World War II.... [tags: Essays Papers]
2116 words (6 pages)