Herpes is one of the common of more than 30 different sexually transmitted diseases (STD’s) in America today. Herpes is an infection that is caused by one of two closely related viruses, herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) and herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2). Both of which are very easily caught, have similar symptoms, and can occur on different parts of the body. Even though it is most common to see the virus HSV-1 appear as oral herpes and to see the virus HSV-2 appear as genital herpes.
Most often herpes is a relatively harmless disease that is rarely life threatening. The most common form of herpes is oral herpes and usually shows up on the lips or inside of the mouth as “cold sores” or “fever blisters”. Cold sores are common in young children who acquire them from being exposed to active cold sores of adults and other children. This form of herpes is annoying but harmless in both children and adult, but is however very harmful to a newborn. It can sometimes be difficult to distinguish whether or not someone has been exposed to the other form of herpes, genital herpes. This is because there are very often no symptoms that go along with the virus. This is not always the case though and when symptoms do occur they are often seen as a cluster of blister sores, usually on the vagina, vulva, cervix, penis, or anus. For genital herpes, symptoms may last several weeks, go away but only to return again weeks, months, or even years later. Symptoms may a...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Herpes. Herpes, a word that all of us know, something that gets made fun of by the raunchiest of comedians, a suggestion of a loose life style, a complex virus that was only recently seen as something to be feared since the early 1970’s for a target of money for pharmaceutical companies. Yet as common to be referenced by Shakespeare in Romeo and Juliet, and is a virus that is known worldwide, and almost every one has experienced in one-way or another. According to Medline Plus, the herpes simplex virus, also known as HSV, causes the infection known as Herpes.... [tags: health, virus]
1256 words (3.6 pages)
- INTRODUCTION Genital herpes is a highly contagious sexually transmitted disease most commonly caused by herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2), although the rate of herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) genital infection has been rising due to the increase in oral-genital transmission. After an initial HSV-2 infection, over 90% of patients experience a reactivation of latent virus residing in the cell bodies of neurons at some point in their lives, and about one-third have frequent outbreaks (>6 per year).1 Although non-lethal and often asymptomatic, recurrent outbreaks as well as the infections potential to the patient’s sexual partners results in significant psychological stress to the patient.... [tags: contagious sexually transmitted diseases]
2778 words (7.9 pages)
- The herpes virus is one of the most prevalent viral diseases known to man. As much as eighty percent of all people, worldwide, have herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV1), and twenty percent have herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV2). This may sound like scary statistics, but most infected people suffer only mild discomfort. The more common form, HSV1, usually causes the occasional blister-like sores on or around the mouth. These blisters are called cold sores or fever blisters and, as most sufferers know, they are annoying and mildly painful but rarely dangerous.... [tags: Health, Diseases]
1350 words (3.9 pages)
- Jose De La Cruz S. Garnica Bio 5 Wednesday #76 May 8, 2014 “Efficacy Results of a Trial of a Herpes Simplex Vaccine” Herpes is a widely known virus that infects the body and causing warts usually in the genital or oral regions of the body. Herpes is caused by one of the two types of virus, Herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1), or herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2). There is no cure for the Herpes Simplex virus. Once the host is infected, the virus remains in the body for the entire lifespan. The virus can be suppressed with help of medication to help keep the virus dormant and reduce outbreaks of genital warts or cold sores around the mouth.... [tags: results, effectivness trial]
703 words (2 pages)
- Herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) affects 90% of the world’s population, in order to understand how they can infect so many people we will look at the structure, life cycle, disease, and kinds of treatment for this virus3. In addition we will overview the epidemiology of the virus. Herpes simplex virus type 1 is a linear dsDNA virus classified in Baltimore class I. Since it is a dsDNA virus their genome is about 200 kilobase pairs. The general structure of HSV-1 consists of an envelope, glycoproteins, icosahedral capsid, and linear dsDNA in the center.... [tags: Disease]
1376 words (3.9 pages)
- Herpes Herpes is one of the common of more than 30 different sexually transmitted diseases (STD’s) in America today. Herpes is an infection that is caused by one of two closely related viruses, herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) and herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2). Both of which are very easily caught, have similar symptoms, and can occur on different parts of the body. Even though it is most common to see the virus HSV-1 appear as oral herpes and to see the virus HSV-2 appear as genital herpes.... [tags: essays research papers]
775 words (2.2 pages)
- Gambling With Genital Herpes Did you know that there is no proof that condoms really reduce the risk of getting genital herpes. Many young adolescents don’t even understand what genital herpes really is or how you can get genital herpes. Young adolescents should know what the symptoms are if you get infected with a sexually transmitted disease such as genital herpes. Did you know that there is no cure for genital herpes and it is a life long disease. Treatments yet alone are way too expensive for young adolescents to afford.... [tags: Sexually Transmitted Disease STD]
1526 words (4.4 pages)
- This was extremely interesting to me because it sexually transmitted dieses have affect my life. My best friend was diagnosed with having genital herpes. Not truly understanding what it was, I helped her through it and learned slowly more about it. The section on genital herpes was even more educational for me so I can continue to help her. Genital herpes are small, red blisters that appear in the genital region. They are extremely painful and can sometimes even break open. There is no cure for genital herpes but there are many medications out there to help suppress the outbreaks.... [tags: essays research papers]
606 words (1.7 pages)
- I have infected 45 million Americans and will infect 1 million more Americans each year. Who am I. Herpes, from the ancient Greek meaning to creep or crawl, is the name of a family of viruses of which herpes simplex virus 1 and herpes simplex virus 2 (HSV-1 and HSV-2) are the most serious human pathogens. HSV-1 is normally associated with orofacial infections and encephalitis, whereas HSV-2 usually causes genital infections and can be transmitted from infected mothers to neonates. Both viruses establish latent infections in sensory neurons and, upon reactivation, cause lesions at or near point of entry into the body.... [tags: essays research papers]
1045 words (3 pages)
- Genital Herpes Facts The Sexually Transmitted Disease Genital herpes (to creep) is very common in most Americans especially adolescents. Genital herpes is transmitted through sexual contact and other physical contact with an infected person. Herpes is a viral infection caused by the Herpes Simplex Virus. Once a person is infected with the virus it stays in their body for life. Once you have contracted this virus it is easy to pass it on to someone else even if the virus is not active.... [tags: Papers]
886 words (2.5 pages)