"Friends have a unique loyalty to one another. This loyalty comes not through a sense of duty in the way one may show loyalty to family, kinsfolk or country. Theirs is born out of love, trust and respect. Nurtured on care and understanding. A perfect loyalty that will survive every hardship and endure the rigorous test of time."
--Stuart and Linda Macfarlane--
The Love Between Friends, a Helen Exley gift book
Friends, some are just acquaintances, others I truly care about. A select few of my friends have become like brothers and sisters. The brother and sister types are the best. A certain type of closeness develops amongst us as if we’ve grown up together. At times we may fight as if we hate each other but we know that the fight isn’t usually a big deal. Generally, by the next day we are back to getting along. Mike, Ashley, and my cousin Kadie are more or less my adopted siblings.
Mike and I have been friends for five years. We became good friends almost immediately. Since then we have developed the friendship of a brother and sister. He and I go round and round picking on each other and horsing around the same way my younger (biological) brother and I do. It’s strange the way we have managed to stay friends through everything we’ve been through. He and I argue with each other at times but we always come together just like family. We both know that we are there for each other at all times. Even when we fight, we can call each other up knowing that we are there for one another.
Chris, Mike, Ashley and I were all riding on the North shore lakefront the night after Christmas. Mike and I got into a fight; he got out of my car and went to sit on the sea wall. I got out to go find out what was really bugging him, because I knew our disagreeing wasn’t the real issue. We were sitting there for a while, so Chris and Ashley left us to go find a bathroom. By the time they had come back, Mike and I had fallen victim to an armed robbery by a “jogger”. We were pushed into the freezing cold lake before the man fled, so we were unable to ever catch him. I was hysterical after the events took place, but Mike was completely calm, or pretended to be for my sake. We got out of the water to look for Ashley and Chris. They were riding in the vicinity trying to find us, thinking we were playing a game. Meanwhile I was still screaming, crying, and shivering ...
... middle of paper ...
...ether for almost three days straight. Whoever said too much is never enough was definitely wrong in this case.
I love Mike Ashley and Kadie to death; I would do anything for them. They are my adopted siblings. Having friends close enough to call them brothers and sisters is a blessing because I know I can always count on them no matter what the future holds. We all have been to hell and back with each other. Without them I don’t think life would have been the same. Each of them has made some form of an impact on my life and I hope that they share that feeling with me. Friends come at many different levels but those with whom you can call siblings are like diamonds. They become more valuable over time. “We’ve been friends forever. I suppose that can't be true. There must have been a time before we became friends but I can’t remember it. You are in my first memory and all my best memories ever since.” -- Linda Macfarlane-- quoted in The Love Between Friends a Helen Exley gift book. Mike, Ashley, Kadie and I have been friends for a long time; sometimes it feels like forever. They are in some of my best and worst memories; hopefully we will create only the best memories in the future.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Friendship has evolved into a whole new abstract that not everyone can understand. With the technological advancements that we humans rely on so much, friendship has morphed into digital pixels that are released throughout the internet, rather than a one on one physical interaction. Does this mean that man has now created a new flaw in social interaction. Well not really, in fact the digital and physical are connected in more ways than one may think. Friendship. What does is it mean exactly. This is a question that has intrigued philosophers for many centuries, and I honestly do not think it is a question that can be answered.... [tags: Friendship, Sociology, Love]
1002 words (2.9 pages)
- Friendship is central to one’s life because friends it can contribute towards shaping someone’s personality as well contribute to who we want to be in the contemporary society. Aristotle agreed in his Book VIII of the "Nichomachean Ethics" that friendship exists in three broader forms: friendship based on utility, that based on a shared appreciation of the good, and that based on pleasure (Percival, 2015). Similarly, Cicero, the Roman philosopher who lived in a different time and place, contended in his writing that "On Friendship": "Let us, then, lay down this law for friendship: we must not ask wrongful things, nor do them, if we are asked to" (Mews, 2009).... [tags: Friendship, Interpersonal relationship]
981 words (2.8 pages)
- Friendships is a distinctively personal relationship that is grounded in a concern on the role of each individual for the benefit of the other, for other’s sake, which involves some degree of intimacy. Aristotle evaluates the question of whether friendships should or should not be broken off when the other individual changes a sense of personality. Friendship is impossible when there is too great a gap between people and often two friends will grow apart if one becomes more virtuous than the other.... [tags: Friendship, Virtue, Nicomachean Ethics]
1133 words (3.2 pages)
- Friendships are as strong and as delicate as glass, they can survive a lifetime of use but all it takes is one fatal fall for it to be shattered forever. Sometimes people stay in a friendship long after they have been shattered by it, this is when the glass takes on a new complex. Miss matched pieces fit together imperfectly and everything looks distorted when you look through it. One person is hurting and the other hasn’t noticed a change. Our friendship had always been a bit one sided but, it took a long time for me to realize that wasn 't because of me.... [tags: Friendship, Interpersonal relationship, Love]
877 words (2.5 pages)
- Love and friendship are related terms, there is almost no difference between the two, however these two words actually have different definitions and different meanings to other people. Experiencing love and having friendships can bring out the brightest moments in one 's life. They become the source of positive energy and joy in our lives. However, love and friendships end up causing problems in our lives, and bring about frustration and confusion. Love is an affection we feel for another person, friendship is the most important thing in the world to me.... [tags: Interpersonal relationship, Friendship, Love]
1593 words (4.6 pages)
- Friendship Through our life we tend to have different kinds of relationships. For example, our parents are the first connection that we had as relationship, and in the majority of the cases parents become in our best friends. Later on, in school we discover friends, and this is the motivation and the most exciting part to go every day because we want to spend time with them. Then, romantic attachments take place in the list, and friendship is the first step to achieve this phase. In every stage of our life we make friends, and one of the greatest gifts of life is friendship.... [tags: Friendship, Interpersonal relationship, Virtue]
1098 words (3.1 pages)
- The human survival is based on friendship. From the highest authority to the lowest bums living on the streets all of them have experienced in some way or the other one of these different kinds of friendships. We take this friendship for granted because it is something that exists naturally in society and most of us never really have to actually go out into the world looking for a friend. Those of us who have had to live in a foreign country or in new surroundings have learned how important this is in life.... [tags: Friendship Essay]
506 words (1.4 pages)
- Friendship I jumped into my bed, exhausted from my late-night babysitting job. It was past midnight, and I was looking forward to sleeping since I had to get up for work in about eight hours. Normally, I would have pulled my big, fluffy down comforter up to my chin right away, but my body felt as if it were on fire with fever. A bad cold had hit me, just as it always does during the mid-spring season. I could hardly breathe, and my head was pounding. I tossed and turned until I finally fell asleep about an hour later.... [tags: Friendship Essay]
1032 words (2.9 pages)
- Everyone is affected by certain events or individuals that greatly change their life. Many people have influenced me during my 21 years of my life, but I believe that the person that has influenced my life the most is a wonderful girl by the name of Lindsay Schiller. In the year that I have known her, she has become one of my best friends, and has helped to transform me from a lonely computer nerd into a happy college student with a decent social life. Popular wisdom has it that, "You judge a man by his friends." Earlier in my life, that would have been difficult, because my father was a high school football coach, and it seemed as though every year I was moving to a new s... [tags: Friendship Essay]
874 words (2.5 pages)
- Friends "Friends have a unique loyalty to one another. This loyalty comes not through a sense of duty in the way one may show loyalty to family, kinsfolk or country. Theirs is born out of love, trust and respect. Nurtured on care and understanding. A perfect loyalty that will survive every hardship and endure the rigorous test of time." --Stuart and Linda Macfarlane-- The Love Between Friends, a Helen Exley gift book Friends, some are just acquaintances, others I truly care about. A select few of my friends have become like brothers and sisters.... [tags: Friendship Essay]
1409 words (4 pages)