The deer has been around as long as man can remember. It has always been in
North and South America, and not that long ago was brought to Europe. The deer has
been hunted for centuries by Stone Age man, American Indians, and now modern day
hunters. The weapons used to hunt deer have changed as time goes on. They were
hunted with rocks by Stone Age man, with spears and hand crafted bow and arrows by
the Indians, with guns and still today the bow and arrow by modern day hunters. The
purpose of my paper is to discuss the types of deer in the world today, what habitat they
live in, their instincts or habits, the over population of the whitetail deer in the United
States, and the large sport of hunting deer.
Their are three major types of deer in the world today. There is the whitetail deer,
mule deer, and blacktail deer. The whitetail is the most popular of the three. The
whitetail deer is broken up into many different species. The northwestern whitetail,
Texas whitetail, northeastern whitetail, southeastern whitetail, Coues whitetail, Mexican
whitetail, and the Key whitetail are all the species in the America’s today. the mule deer
is only broken into two different species. The Rocky Mountain mule deer and the desert
mule deer are the two species. The blacktail deer is broken into two species also. There
is the Sitka blacktail and the Columbia blacktail (Lawrence 60-62).
Deer can live and flourish in just about any habitat. They are the only large animal
that lives every where in North America. Deer live in most of Central America and in
many parts of South America. The whitetail deer inhabits Central America, Mexico, all
the U.S. except Alaska and Hawaii, southern Canada, and South America. Recently
have been brought to Europe, the West Indies, and New Zealand. The mule deer lives
in southwestern Canada, twenty two U.S. states, northwestern Coahuila,
northern Chihuahua, northern Sonora, Texas, Arizona, northern Mexico, and southern
California. The blacktail deer mainly inhabits the Pacific Coast. It lives between
southwestern Alaska and southern California. In the north the blacktail lives in
Vancouver, British Colombia, islands of Queen Charlotte, and have been brought to the
islands in Prince William Sound. Towards the south the blacktail lives in California ...
... middle of paper ...
...ing an outcry 62).
What you should have learned in this paper is the types of deer that live in the
world today, what habitat deer live in, their habits, the over population of the whitetail
deer in the United States, and the large sport of hunting deer. I just got into bow hunting
last year, that is why I decided to do the deer for my term paper. I was introduced to bow
hunting by my cousins in New Jersey. I went down there to visit last year and my
cousins are the best bow hunters in the state of New Jersey. In the I.B.O tournaments
the last three years one of them has come in first and the other in second every year.
They were so happy that I wanted to start bow hunting they set me up and gave me all
the goods. They brought me out hunting and in twenty minutes one of them had a doe.
Since then I have been buying all the equipment I need and practicing every week. I
think deer are wonderful animals and I hope to bag one this year. If you are never not
sure about getting into the sport, do it, its the best thing I ever did. Even if you are
against the killing of deer go out some day and just sit in the woods and watch them they
are gracious animals.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Growing up in a small town in South Central Texas, you get use to hearing the phrases, “Oh, I can’t I’m taking my kids out hunting this weekend.” and “My boy shot his first buck, last weekend out at the deer lease.” and my personal favorite courtesy of my own father, “I can’t go to your dance recital/ peewee rodeo/ jr high volleyball game, I’ll be out of town at the deer lease.” Growing up in a state that is predominately known for having decent whitetail deer and a moderate season, from a young age you learn that a lot of school functions and family functions will be dependant on how deer season falls in your area.... [tags: Hunting, White-tailed deer, Deer, Mule deer]
852 words (2.4 pages)
- “Thud thud thud,” it was all I heard when I was peering through my scope. The pleasure hunting gives me always had been immeasurable, any type of hunting, but my personal favorite is rifle deer season. The very first time I went deer hunting I was 14 years old. Opening weekend, my dad, who is a die hard hunter, was going to take me out with him. We were planning to head up North and hunt on public land in Emily, Minnesota. To make it to Emily and get set up before the sun rose, at exactly 8:06 in the morning, the truck engine was starting at five in the morning and pulling out five minutes later.... [tags: Deer, Hunting, Deer hunting]
866 words (2.5 pages)
- Imagine the biggest deer of our life walking in front of us. The thing is so big that at first glance you didn’t even think it was a deer. That is what the Zellmer deer camp is all about. The deer camp was started seven and a half decades ago by my grandfather’s grandfather. The Zellmer deer camp consists of nine Zellmer’s and one family friend. It consists of myself and my three brothers, my dad, my uncle, and my three cousins along with my cousin’s friend. We have carried this tradition on since 1940 when my grandfather’s grandfather started it.... [tags: Hunting, Deer, Olfaction, Odor]
1074 words (3.1 pages)
- Walking through the woods on a peaceful, fall day, I stumble onto a herd of cotton tails. BANG. THUD. Dinner is served. Hunting has been argued to not be the best method practiced for controlling whitetail deer populations. Instead, different amicable ways of controlling the whitetail deer population have been recently exercised throughout several states, including Michigan. However, I believe that hunting remains the best way to control the deer population, and that the tranquil parties are camouflaging the truth from us.... [tags: White-tailed deer, Hunting, Deer, Tubal ligation]
1125 words (3.2 pages)
- Deer Hunting Is deer hunting just plain old hard work or is it deeper than that. Deer hunting can be really easy if you follow some simple steps. There are many different techniques that can get you closer to killing a deer. Sometimes you have to plan what techniques you need to use and when. The main techniques for killing a deer is scouting, knowing when the rut is, calling, and being in the stand. With these techniques you can be closer to be on your way to killing a deer. Scouting is a very powerful tool when hunting deer.... [tags: White-tailed deer, Hunting, Deer, Deer hunting]
702 words (2 pages)
- Deer overpopulation is a controversial topic. Some believe that deer overpopulation is not a real problem. Some may also believe the high numbers that studies show, is a scheme to give hunters an excuse to hunt without reason. The truth is that deer overpopulation is a true issue. Deer, especially the eastern whitetail deer population in these modern times, is out of control. “There are an estimated 30 million whitetail deer in the United States today. Under optimal conditions, whitetail deer populations will double every two years”(Rooney).... [tags: White-tailed deer, Hunting, Deer, Meat]
1436 words (4.1 pages)
- As I sit here, I have the desire to take a deer home with me. Somewhere in these vast woods a buck is stepping, with no warning that today is the day that I capture him. There is an ominous crow cackle, one that any protagonist would consider as a warning, I consider it an opportunity. My deer did not accept this warning; at least it was not shown. Today was opening day for bow season in Michigan, which is the most peaceful of the opening days, with the exception of a few hunters who are frustrated with their archery skills and resort to gun powder.... [tags: Hunting, Deer, White-tailed deer, Predation]
1252 words (3.6 pages)
- The Need for Deer Hunting Years ago, killing animals for food was part of the average man’s everyday life. While, now a days, hunting is questioned by many across the world because it is commonly viewed as a recreational activity. Many residents have a problem with the dangers that come with hunting. Not to mention, as time goes on, society seems to feel differently about animals and how they should be treated. One of the biggest debates is the harvest of white tailed deer. All over the United States, white tailed deer thrive because of the few predators that feast upon them and the large forests and habitats that these deer can flourish in.... [tags: Hunting, White-tailed deer, Deer, United States]
2063 words (5.9 pages)
- I would like to own a deer Ranch. You have to keep the fenced in area managed to look like the woods. My deer ranch will be in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The name of my business would be Antler Ridge Deer Ranch. A deer ranch is a fenced in area where my Whitetail deer will be raised to be hunted as wild game. This would be my ideal business. It sounds like fun but there is a lot that comes with owning your own deer ranch. It takes a lot of your time and energy to manage. It will cost a lot of money, but in the end, you should end up ahead.... [tags: Deer, Hunting, White-tailed deer, Elk]
1331 words (3.8 pages)
- Chippewa Tribe Night Hunting Deer In 2012 after several years of trying to get permission from the court to night hunt, the Chippewa tribe has been granted permission to. Many groups of people disagree and are upset by this decision, including hunters and members of the Department of Natural Resources. Members of the Department of Natural Resource feel it is still unsafe to hunt deer at night. For years, they have not been allowed to hunt deer at night and it has not affected their ability to live and function.... [tags: White-tailed deer, Hunting, Deer, Deer hunting]
1580 words (4.5 pages)