Every two minutes, somewhere in the world, someone is sexually assaulted. Of these approximately 248,000 victims, about 87,000 were victims of completed rape, and 70,000 were victims of sexual assault. Up to 4,315 pregnancies may have resulted from these attacks. Calculations based on the (National Crime Victimization Survey). Rape is often misunderstood. For one reason rapist are usually portrayed as a stranger, his motivation is entirely sexual, and the victim is always a young and sexy female. The truth is not all rapes are the same. The victim doesn’t have to be a young beautiful Female, older woman, men and kids get raped to. The victims, rapists, and motivation can be very different depending on the one committing the crime. Date rape is a controversial and ambiguous crime. There has been much debate regarding the definition, prevalence, and importance of date rate in the past couples of years. This uncertainty is evident in the attitudes of date rape victims and offenders. Rape in marriages was only criminalized in the 1970’s. This is a reflection of the tolerance in our society towards rape in intimate relationships. Very few cases are even prosecuted in court.
Sexual assault includes any sexual activity carried out against the will of the victim through the use of violence, coercion, intimidation even if it did not end in penetration (ABS 1996). Rape doesn’t have to always be penetration but can be the fondling of ones genitals without the vi...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- “Feminism has not prepared them for this,” states Camille Paglia in her essay “Rape: A Bigger Danger than Feminists Know.” The “them” in Paglia’s statement is referring to women, and she is discussing the topic of date rape. Susan Jacoby, on the other hand, writes in her article “Common Decency,” that feminism is not responsible for the rising cases of date rape, but that it is the men who are at fault. Paglia’s argument is insightful and accurate, but Jacoby’s writing is flawed and not well-researched.... [tags: Date Rape Essays]
931 words (2.7 pages)
- DATE RAPE Introduction I’m assuming that you 've all heard of date rape. Apart from knowing what the physical side of rape is, there are many students who aren 't aware of the facts in depth of what really happens in these circumstances. So today I’m going to briefly talk about this. I‘m sure you’ll all agree with me that it’s quite scary at any time learning about date rape, but so much worse if you become a victim. No one wants to be a victim, so it’s important that we know about the drugs used and furthermore, what to do if you become a victim.... [tags: Rape, Date rape drug, Sexual intercourse]
1011 words (2.9 pages)
- Rohypnol is a very strong benzodiazepine. It is ten times more powerful then any other benzodiazepine valium, the effects are felt very fast by any user. The drug usually works on the body for up to eighteen hours or (sometimes longer). Also during that time the user will feel many symptoms and some are: Drowsiness, disoriented, and they can loss consciousness. Most people when they take Rohypnol will suffer from a form of amnesia that prohibits memory formation for as long as they have the drug in the body.... [tags: Date Rape Essays]
936 words (2.7 pages)
- The newest and frightening form of drug induced rapes often involves date rape drugs. Date rape drugs makes the victims pass out and this makes them unable to resist what is happening to them and they cannot recall what happened to them during an assault. Date rape drugs also known as predator drugs are any drugs that are used in assisting in the execution of drug facilitated sexual assault. A drug facilitated sexual assault is date rape or acquaintance rape that a person does not agree to. Date rape drugs are used to assist sexual assault which includes sexual intercourse, rape, and attempted rape, touching inappropriately and putting something in the vagina since the victims do not under... [tags: Date Rape Essays]
1109 words (3.2 pages)
- Ecstasy, also known as MDMA, is a club drug that is extremely popular amongst high school and college students. Because club drugs can enhance enjoyment from touch they are used to increase intimacy and, worse, in rape situations. They are also used to stimulate psychedelic effects and to energize the user for the night. These designer drugs lead to the deaths of multiple people each year. Club drugs are created to induce a stimulant and psychedelic effect; however, these sensations are definitely not worth the addictive and disabling effects they may cause.... [tags: Date Rape Essays]
1081 words (3.1 pages)
- Rape defined is forcing sexual intercourse upon someone without his or her consent. This isn’t just a girls’ problem, boys have to deal with this too. According to the American Psychological Association, nearly one in ten girls and one in twenty boys say they have been raped or experienced some form of sexual assault (Atlanta Journal, 1). Almost more than half of rape victims know their attacker; they don’t report it or tell anybody. In most date rape cases, the attacker and victim have known each other for at least a year or even longer.... [tags: Date Rape Essays]
1750 words (5 pages)
- Date rape happens a lot when people are in college, more women than men but it’s still something that happens more than it should and I ask what are the colleges doing on campus to prevent this from happening to more college students. I think that colleges are trying to stop date rape from happening as best as they can but I also believe there is a lot more they could be doing to try and stop date rape. College students shouldn’t have to worry about going out on a date, party, or just to a bar for drinks with their friends.... [tags: Date Rape Essays]
972 words (2.8 pages)
- For twelve weeks Blurred Lines was at the top of the Billboard 100 charts and could be heard thumping from speakers everywhere. Sung by Robin Thicke and featuring prominent rappers T.I. Harris and Pharrell, this track was proclaimed the anthem for summer 2013 . At the surface the song is seemingly harmless with a cheery rhythmic beat and catchy lyrics, but when examining the song and accompanying music video, Blurred Lines is anything but harmless. Dubbed “that rape song” by many discerning listeners, Blurred Lines is a song about the blurred lines of consent.... [tags: Date Rape Essays]
943 words (2.7 pages)
- Date rape is not a rare incident. Surveys indicate that in 84% of rape cases, the victim knows the attacker, and 57% of rapes occur on dates (Warshaw 11). However, what is even more surprising than these high statistics is that most incidents of date rape go unreported. Several theories exist that try to explain this phenomenon. For example, many women may refuse to believe that their “friend” raped them. In fact, they could eventually convince themselves that it never happened. Additionally, there is confusion following the attack in which memory and emotions become mixed up.... [tags: The Tragedy of Date Rape]
2293 words (6.6 pages)
- Date Rape Every two minutes, somewhere in the world, someone is sexually assaulted. Of these approximately 248,000 victims, about 87,000 were victims of completed rape, and 70,000 were victims of sexual assault. Up to 4,315 pregnancies may have resulted from these attacks. Calculations based on the (National Crime Victimization Survey). Rape is often misunderstood. For one reason rapist are usually portrayed as a stranger, his motivation is entirely sexual, and the victim is always a young and sexy female.... [tags: Rape Sexual Assault Crimes Essays]
857 words (2.4 pages)