Databases have been in use since the early days of computing programs. An Information Technology services company, such as Getronics, not only utilizes databases for information and record management, it earns revenue by providing database management services. Getronics uses Microsoft SQL Server 2000 as its database software. The clients that contract Getronics for Information Technology services rely and depend on the accuracy and currency of the database information that is stored. Databases will continue to exist and expand as more companies become more of aware of the importance of record and data management.
Databases have been in use since the early days of computing programs. In basic terms, a database is a collection of information that can be easily accessed, managed, and updated. (www.whatis.com) Regardless of the type of information that is stored in a database, it is categorized and filed. And every type of business utilizes a database for information and record management.
An Information Technology services company, such as Getronics, not only utilizes databases for information and record management, it earns revenue by providing database management services. Some of the other services that are provided by Getronics rely on a backend database that is integrated with a client facing application. These databases have tables that contain end user information such as phone numbers, employee numbers, and site addresses. As well as tables that include many application functions that directly connect with a client facing application.
Getronics is a certified Microsoft Partner; therefore, Getronics uses Microsoft technology such as Microsoft SQL Server 2000. Microsoft SQL, or structured query language, is a standard interactive and programming language for getting information from and updating a database. (www.whatis.com) Every application that is developed or purchased by Getronics uses a SQL database as its backend office application. This standard application allows for development teams to design and implement applications and utilities that can integrate with one another. This type of design is intentional based on the type of services Getronics provides to its clients.
... middle of paper ...
...nformation. There is a human resources database, a phone database, network database, an incident management system database, and many more. If these databases could be consolidated and linked then management of the systems could be reduced.
Getronics has a many databases servers. If consolidated to one large database cluster, then unnecessary hardware could be decommissioned and enterprise licenses returned to the license pool. Also, Getronics could improve the database architecture by designing a similar and standard structure or common schema for the data records. This would also improve the maintenance and management of the database servers.
Regardless of the type of business, it is supported by a database or many databases. Even if the database is a paper based system of record, or it is organized by the most sophisticated, technically advanced software, it is a important fundamental piece of the business. Databases will continue to exist and expand as more companies become more of aware of the importance of record and data management.
http://whatis.techtarget.com/ Online Information Technology Encyclopedia,
TechTarget Copyright 2005
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- During my research, I discovered three database trends. The first trend bridges relational and non-rational databases together. The second trend offers databases in the cloud as a service. Lastly, the third trend is the focus for increased database security. Each trend aims to improve databases and the capabilities and services that they provide due to increasing demand and expanding needs. The author discusses while relational databases will be around for quite a while, their overall peak may be on the decline due to non-relational databases.... [tags: Database, SQL, Relational model, Relation]
1077 words (3.1 pages)
- Databases, Forms, and Reports This paper will discuss databases, forms and reports. Why has the use of databases increased dramatically. What factors should be considered when designing a database and why. How would you go about designing forms and reports from scratch. In conclusion, a summation will be given along with closing thoughts. Database Usage A database is an organized collection of information or data. It is a collection of organized information in which a computer can easily select and display different fields of data.... [tags: Database Organization Design Essays]
843 words (2.4 pages)
- At Intel there are many databases that we use to do business. Most of the databases that we use are very complicated and require a lot of training and proficiency to surmount the program. In the clean room at Intel Corporation, we use a specific type of database to keep track of each and every microchip that we make. Since we make millions and millions of microchips and it takes many different machines, processes, and people to make these chips, the database has to be able to handle all of this information.... [tags: Work Business Database]
1126 words (3.2 pages)
- Introduction to Databases What is a database. A database is a collection of data structured and organized in a disciplined fashion so that it is possible to access information of interest as quickly as possible. (Newton, 193) In residential sales at TDS Metrocom, the database that is used almost exclusively is Microsoft Access. We use access to track incoming e-mails, keep track of individual and team performance statistics, inbound call volume, and we use Access to provision a customers order for Internet service to coincide with the provisioning of their phone service.... [tags: essays research papers]
1026 words (2.9 pages)
- Databases Databases are used on a daily basis amongst nearly every industry in the world. Regardless of what job function you currently work you can expect that the data you are using or inputting is coming from or being stored in some type of database. To understand databases you may want to consider how they impact your career, if they are consider enterprise tools, how they are designed and the effort required to do so, and the database architecture. Why this course will be important to your career Databases are all around us and by having some knowledge of how they are developed and what they can contribute to my current organization.... [tags: Technology]
921 words (2.6 pages)
- databases The Many Faces of Databases Large databases can contain hundreds of interrelated files. Fortunately a database management system can shield users from the complex inner workings of the system, providing them with only the information and commands they need to get their jobs done. In fact, a well-designed database puts on different faces for different classes of users. Downsizing and Decentralizing The earliest file management programs could only do batch processing, which required users to accumulate transactions and feed them into computers in large batches.... [tags: essays research papers]
699 words (2 pages)
- Databases in My Organization Abstract Databases have been in use since the early days of computing programs. An Information Technology services company, such as Getronics, not only utilizes databases for information and record management, it earns revenue by providing database management services. Getronics uses Microsoft SQL Server 2000 as its database software. The clients that contract Getronics for Information Technology services rely and depend on the accuracy and currency of the database information that is stored.... [tags: essays research papers]
965 words (2.8 pages)
- Abstract "Throughout your career, you will be directly or indirectly accessing a variety of databases, ranging from a simple roster of departmental employees to a fully integrated corporate database. You will probably access these databases using software called a database management system (DBMS). A DBMS consists of a group of programs that manipulate the database and provide an interface between the database and the user of the database and other application programs. A database, a DBMS, and the application programs that use the data in the database make up a database environment.... [tags: Software Microsoft Access Data]
977 words (2.8 pages)
- ABSTRACT The Automated Business Service System (ABSS) was designed for the military to process documents without wasting an enormous amount of time. The original way of processing a document involved typing the document up and visiting each person to sign off on it. Not only was this time consuming but there was no historical record available if the original document was lost or destroyed. ABSS uses an Oracle database and has changed the way finance processes documents forever. Before I worked as the systems administrator for finance I was the budget analyst.... [tags: essays research papers]
736 words (2.1 pages)
- Oracle Databases A new energy is rising within CNS. Over the past year, many members of our administrative computing team have been developing Oracle applications. It is a new challenge to both CNS and our clients. We journey up the learning curve together and over the trial-and-error hurdles. Each day offers a new opportunity to understand another concept or process. Some faculties and departments are already using Oracle applications in their day-to-day operations. As time goes by, more and more information users will be working with an application based on Oracle database technology.... [tags: Papers]
1555 words (4.4 pages)