There are several different definitions for the word love. Love is a simple four-letter word, with a multitude of caring and feeling behind it. There is a difference between loving somebody and being in love with somebody. The love between two best friends or between a husband and wife are the types of love that people want to last forever. However, there are no guarantees that it will last forever. Furthermore, the love between family members and the love between a parent and child is the kind of love that will last a life time.
In Galway Kinnell’s poem “After Making Love We Hear Footsteps” Kinnell writes about the love between a parent and child. Galway Kinnell describes the familiar middle of the night act of a child climbing into bed with the parents. The poem begins with the father describing that no matter how much noise is being made, the child is able to sleep through anything. For example, Galway Kinnell states:
or play loud music
or sit up talking with any reasonably sober Irishman
and Fergus will only sink deeper
into his dreamless sleep, which goes by all in one flash,
However, let there be a slight sound from the parents when they want to be alone and the child wakes up instantly. For example, Galway Kinnell writes in his poem:
but let there be that heavy breathing
or a stifled come-cry anywhere in the house
and he will wrench himself awake
Being a parent has many responsibilities. Parents have to give up a lot of their own privacy and time when it comes to their children. For example, starting on line sixteen, Galway Kinnell writes:
after making love, quiet, touching along the length of our bod...
... middle of paper ...
...will never die. There may be some times in the child’s life when they think that their parents do not love them. Some families end up not speaking to each other for a long period of time. It could last a couple of days, a couple of weeks, or even a couple of years. No matter how long it takes, the child will always know that they can count on their mother and father loving them forever. The parents will always be there for their children. The children can always rely on the parents for support and complete understanding through the good times and the bad times.
Unlike other love relationships, the love relationship between a parent and child will never fade away. There are no guarantees with normal relationships lasting forever. However, the relationship between a parent and child is guaranteed to last forever. They will love each until the day they die.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Today, there are many different interpretations of the word love. Love could be as simple as a four-letter word, or as infinitude of caring and emotions. There is a difference between being in love with someone and loving someone; and a difference in the people you share that with. Love shared between two best friends or a husband and wife is the type of love you want to last for a lifetime, however, there is never a guarantee that it always will. But the love between a parent and child, or between any family members is the type of love that is infinite.... [tags: Marriage, Sexual intercourse, Love]
974 words (2.8 pages)
- I was born on December 31, 1970 in Elyria. Ohio just moments before the new year; a tax deduction and the first born girl of my middle class insurance selling father and stay at home mother. As far back as I can remember, we always lived in a nice house, in a nice neighborhood, that spoke of affluence. As far back as I can remember, education was not high on my parent’s list of priorities. Like most of their friends, you worked, paid bills, and spent the rest. In 1977, when my parents divorced, my mother went to beauty school and eventually to work.... [tags: Family, High school, Parent, Sibling]
931 words (2.7 pages)
- Since the time of the broadcasting of Elvis Presley during the 1950’s, there has been a notion to censor material on media outlets that were deemed inappropriate because of the potential suggestive message it could present. With the efforts of the Federal Communications Commissions, media outlets have to follow a strict guideline in order to be in compliance with the FCC’s standards, or else they will be faced with a hefty fine. Although music artists are not federally regulated like their visual counterparts, a group of concerned individuals wanted to do everything that they could in order to keep the explicit content out of the reach of children and have a certain censorship in their works... [tags: Music]
2060 words (5.9 pages)
- “I pet a Human being for 5 years” Everyone has their own kind of hobby. Some like to pet a dog, some people like to pet a bird but my hobby was very different from others because I pet a man i.e. a human being. If you pet someone, you have a special feeling attached to them and you start treating them like a family member. You start loving and caring each other. Even though dog and bird cannot speak, they use their gestures to communicate with you. Already you start having good and special bonding with each other.... [tags: Marriage, Love, Divorce, Parent]
1019 words (2.9 pages)
- William Shakespeare (1564-1616) was a Renaissance poet and playwright who wrote and published the original versions of 38 plays, 154 sonnets, two long narrative poems, and several other poems. He is widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language, and often called England’s national poet. Several of his works became extremely well known, thoroughly studied, and enjoyed all over the world. One of Shakespeare’s most prominent plays is titled The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet. In this tragedy, the concept that is discussed and portrayed through the characters is love, as they are recognized as being “in love”.... [tags: The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet]
1002 words (2.9 pages)
- Who can argue about Christmas not being the best time of the year. Yes, Christmas triggers strong emotions which many cannot ignore. From emotion of love to the emotion of pity; Christmas never fails to bring it out. Christmas is the magic that everyone believes in. From little children who stay up in the wee night of Christmas Eve to hear Santa’s sleigh to adults whose hopes and dreams were once shattered are restored. Even though it is rather difficult to argue about Christmas, there are actually some people out there who dare to bacon the call.... [tags: Personal Narrative, Descriptive Essay]
868 words (2.5 pages)
- Abstract: Does Hamlet, a character in Shakespeare’s historical play, have the Oedipus complex. Do we truly understand the semantics of the Oedipus complex. Many critics have had different opinions. According to Webster’s online dictionary, the Oedipus complex is a “complex of males; desire to possess the mother sexually and to exclude the father; said to be a source of personality disorders if unresolved” (Webster's Online Dictionary, 2011). Another source defines the Oedipus complex as “the attachment of the child to the parent of the opposite sex, accompanied by envious and aggressive feelings toward the parent of the same sex” (Dolloff, 2006).... [tags: Shakespearean Literature ]
1249 words (3.6 pages)
- "Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own," said Robert Heinlein (YourTango). Affirmative, love can be really powerful in which the value of love from others is the greatest ecstasy in life. Love is existence everywhere around us; we are born to love and love to die with the love of family, lovers, and friends. In Galway Kinnell’s poem “After Making Love We Hear Footsteps” Kinnell writes about the love between parents and child, and it was published in 1980.... [tags: Galway Kinnel, poetry]
958 words (2.7 pages)
- One of the worst things you could say to your child or children about divorce or separation is that it is the other’s fault, with Mom placing the blame on Dad, or vice versa. When a couple decides to divorce, it is the end of their relationship, and while each partner may go their separate way, when there are children involved it becomes an entirely different situation. While the parents may be divorcing each other, they are not divorcing their kids, and both parents still have an obligation to their children.... [tags: Divorce]
529 words (1.5 pages)
- The Theme of Love in William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet “Romeo and Juliet” is one of the most famous love stories ever. Love is the important theme in this tale. There are many different types of love inside the play and these all play a huge part in this tale. Sexual Love, takes many forms, in this play it takes the form of lust. We see this in Gregory and Sampson’s initial feuding. Here we see love represented in crude, sexual innuendoes that portray it as a physical thing, with no emotion.... [tags: Papers]
1861 words (5.3 pages)