accidents or diseases, but by their own hands. Every 90 seconds a teenager
commits suicide. Suicide is the third leading cause of death among 15 to 25
year olds. Suicide accounts for 12 percent of the mortality in the adolescent and
young adult group. Males are more likely than females to follow through with
suicide. For every successful suicide there are fifty to one hundred adolescent
suicide attempts. More than five percent of all teenagers try to commit suicide.
Many factors contribute to teenage suicide.
Most teens who attempt suicide are in a deep depression. This
depression can be caused by two major factors. These include stress and
significant loss. Stress causes most depression. Stress itself has many factors.
Two of them include pressure to succeed and stress from relationships. The
pressure to succeed may be to get high grades, get a good job, be accepted into
a prestige college, or to excel, “win” in sports. The significant loss may be of a
job, loved one, or health.
Equally important to depression is low self esteem. We live in a
society that emphasizes a high standard of beauty. The newspapers,
magazines, movies, and television are all filled with images of beautiful, “perfect”
people. For example, Cindy Crawford, she has done numerous advertisements
for things such as makeup and she ha...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Suicide is a critical social problem in this day and age. According to Kutcher and Magdalena (2008), one of the top three causes of death among people from 15 to 34 years old is suicide. In America, suicide is the third killer to the high school youth which between the age of 15 to 19 (Lieberman & Cowan, 2011). Comer (2004) defined that "suicide as an intention, direct, and conscious effort to end the life of a person" (2004). In general, such as abuse of alcohol and drug, peer pressure problem and suicide behavior of family.... [tags: depression, family factors, parental suicide]
820 words (2.3 pages)
- Every year thousands of youth in the United States die, not by car accidents or diseases, but by their own hands. Every 90 seconds a teenager commits suicide. Suicide is the third leading cause of death among 15 to 25 year olds. Suicide accounts for 12 percent of the mortality in the adolescent and young adult group. Males are more likely than females to follow through with suicide. For every successful suicide there are fifty to one hundred adolescent suicide attempts. More than five percent of all teenagers try to commit suicide.... [tags: Teenage Suicide Essays]
534 words (1.5 pages)
- “Each day in our nation there are an average of over 5,400 suicide attempts by young people grades 7-12” (Jason Foundation). To a majority of people, this number comes as a complete shock. Although most citizens have noticed that the suicide rates for teens in the U.S. have been growing at an astounding rate each year. It is important to help those adolescents who feel the need to end their own life, but also to develop an understanding as to why this epidemic has began to occur more and more frequently.... [tags: stress, excess work, pressure]
1684 words (4.8 pages)
- Death, in itself, is a tragedy. The loss of a loved one is always difficult no matter what position in life one has lived. Death touches everyone, no matter how much power, wealth, or prosperity one has witnessed in a lifetime. Not a single person on this earth desires to truly pass on in life, but in recent times the numbers of teenagers committing suicide has skyrocketed. More teens are taking their life now more than they have in the last decade; so why are they claiming their lives now. As studies have shown, several reasons exist for why teens are committing suicide in this time and age.... [tags: depression, bully, stress]
627 words (1.8 pages)
- “Sixteen-year-old Andrea was told to stop and talk to her Math teacher after class. Andrea knew what was coming because her grades had been slipping in the last few months. After the teacher told Andrea she was planning to call her parents for a conference, she was filled with despair. Andrea never went to her next class. Instead, she went to the girl’s bathroom and using a nail file, slashed her wrist. Andrea was found by another student a half hour later and was rushed to the hospital. Andrea didn’t die, but she wanted to.” (McGuire 8) Before the mid-1970s, teen suicide appeared to be a rare happening.... [tags: Teenage Suicide Essays]
551 words (1.6 pages)
- The number of teenager’s committing suicide is rapidly growing. Approximately 30,000 people die because of suicide a year, and 750,000 have attempted suicide. (“Suicide Causes”). There are many reasons people are committing suicide. Drug abuse, depression, low self-esteem, feeling helpless, any type of abuse, etc. People are committing suicide mainly because of bullying, abuse, and stress. Stress can come from a lot of different things, which could make somebody feel the need to take their own lives.... [tags: Leading Cause Deaths, Teenage Suicide Rates]
1317 words (3.8 pages)
- Causes of Teen Suicide: Adolescent Confusion, Stress, and Depression I have had a first-hand experience with teen suicide. Everyone says your senior year of high school should be the best year or your life. You are one step closer to that freedom you always dreamed of, and you will have the best times with your friends since you will all never be together again. The seniors at Wildwood High see is differently because that was the year when a close friend committed suicide. December 13, 2004, started out like any other Saturday morning.... [tags: Teenage Suicide Essays]
1098 words (3.1 pages)
- Teenage Suicide Each day 86 Americans take their own lives and another 1,500 attempts to do so. Even more disturbing is that suicide among a young people nation wide have increased dramatically in recent years. In fact thousands of teenagers each year commit suicide. It is the third leading cause of death among young adults aged 15-24. With the first two leading causes being unintentional injury and homicide. There are many reasons why teenagers feel the need to take their own life. They are at a time in their life where they are strongly feeling stress, confusion, self doubt, pressure to succeed, and other fears while growing.... [tags: Teenage Suicide Essays]
1392 words (4 pages)
- Suicide is an issue that many young people struggle with everyday. Suicide is the third leading cause of death, behind accidents and homicide, among adolescents. The middle teenage years are the years with the greatest incidence of teen suicide (Fritz, 2001). 7 percent of youths under the age of 25 have attempted suicide at least once (Psychology Today, 2001). These statistics alone show that teenage suicide is something that needs to be dealt with. There are many risk warning signs, and ways to prevent teenage suicide.... [tags: Teenage Suicide Essays]
1309 words (3.7 pages)
- Teenage suicide has become a critical, national problem the extent of which is mind boggling. From 1980 to 1992 the rate of suicides involving persons from the ages of 10-14 years old has increased by 120 percent, and has increased 28.3 percent when involving persons from the ages of 15-19 years old (Suicide 451). More recently in a poll of 3,210 high-school honor students, a stunning one-quarter have seriously considered suicide (Eaton 15). Suicides have been proven to be one of the leading causes of death among teens, falling second only to accidents (Roberts 45).... [tags: Teenage Suicide Essays]
1202 words (3.4 pages)