T.S. Eliot’s poems from his “Old Possum’s Book Of Practical Cats”, not only inspired the play “Cats”, but are also used as the lyrics for all of the songs in the play. The music was written by Andrew Lloyd Webber and T.S. Eliot’s poems are sung to the adopted tunes with very minor adjustments. “Cats” is the longest-running show on Broadway and it even Won the 1983 Tony for Best Musical. Although the play is 2 hours and 40 minutes longs, it’s unique songs and theatrical performances keep the audience members wide awake.
The characters in the play are all cats. The costumes consist of body suits and talks with matching hair and face paint. The actors have fake fur attach to their face that matches their costume and face paint. Each “cat” has unique markings and plays a specific character. All of the cats have their own names such as, Alonzo, Bombalurina, Macavity, and Skimbleshanks. The actors take on mannerisms of real cats and when they are in full costume, the audience forgets that these aren’t actually just big cats running across the...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Feral Cats in San Francisco Bay There was an unforgettable experience with a cat on the stress. After I got off the bus and toward my aunt’s house, a cat came up to me. It was the first time happen to me that a cat was very affectionate to me. And it persistently rubbed against my legs. I was a little scared, and I did not know what to do because it looked different from the common cats that I saw. I stood a while and looked at the cat. A few minutes later, I continued walked toward my aunt’s house, and I saw the cat followed me for a block.... [tags: Cat, Cats, Invasive animal species, Predation]
1584 words (4.5 pages)
- Flea Control for Dogs and Cats Many Americans have a four-legged member of their family in their home. Most people deal with housebreaking problems, pet hair on furniture, and an occasional broken lamp because all the friendly welcomes home outweigh these minor problems. When the weather begins to get warmer, these pet owners begin to cringe with the thought of spring. It can only mean one thing; flea season and the circus of giving flea baths and dips is about to start. But in the past few years, there has been a break through in scientific technology allowing both owners and pets to rest easier.... [tags: Pets Dogs Cats Essays]
416 words (1.2 pages)
- Your chance of surviving a fall of 50 feet (approximately 4 stories) is about 50%, while almost no one who falls 6 stories will be around to tell their tale. However, in a study conducted by Manhattan veterinarians, Drs. Wayne Whitney and Cheryl Mehlhaff, it was discovered that out of 115 cases of cats falling (accidentally) from multi-story heights, 90% of them survived. An even more surprising result is that if a cat falls from more than 7 stories its chance of survival doubles, compared to a cat having fallen from 2 to 7 stories (a story averages about 12 feet).... [tags: physics cat cats fall land feet]
1230 words (3.5 pages)
- Characteristics of Magical Realism in If Dinosaurs Were Cats And Dogs "If Dinosaurs Were Cats And Dogs" is a short story written by Colin McNaughton. "If Dinosaurs were Cats And Dogs" was published in 1981. It is classified under the fantastic sublime. However, based on the analysis of "If Dinosaurs were Cats And Dogs" one would believe that magical realism is a genre of the sublime. While reading "If Dinosaurs Were Cats And Dogs", one comes upon the illustrations in the book. Through out all of the illustrations, the people are on a smaller scale then the animals.... [tags: Dinosaurs Were Cats And Dogs Essays]
1022 words (2.9 pages)
- When you talk to pet owners about owning a cat versus a dog, it stirs up much controver-sy in many ways. By looking at both cats and dogs, the cat outweighs the dog in many ways, which makes the cat the superior selection when making a final decision on which one to get. Cats have very desirable qualities that make them an award winning choice to many owners. The qualities that appeal to most are the ability of the cat to live in small spaces, they do not eat large amounts of food for their meals, and they are very sedentary and independent in nature making them a low maintenance pet.... [tags: Cat, Predation, Dog, Theobromine poisoning]
1321 words (3.8 pages)
- Cats are one of the most beloved pets to humans beings. Though they provided a sense of comfort and love, there is a dark side to these soft, adorable, felines. Cats, both domestic and feral, poses a serious threat to native bird populations in the United States and health risk to both people and other animals. It is important that people realize the impact that feral cats have in the environment that they inhabit and how it not only effects other species, but us humans as well. Feral cats have no form of human interaction and therefore are difficult and or nearly impossible to assimilate as a regular house pet.... [tags: predation instincts, pets]
1393 words (4 pages)
- The cursed cat. He was grinning at them, that insolent face just grinning and staring, those disgusting whiskers twitching, the disgusting muddy fur, the disgusting hole in his ear. Scampi and Mustard stood at the bottom of the tree, tongues slowly moving in and out. It was over, both of them knew. They stared right back at the mangy cat with hate in their eyes. Its tail was curling back and forth. "Can't we wait this time?" "No." "But-" "We could stand here all day, but we'd have to leave sometime.... [tags: Creative Writing Essays]
4906 words (14 pages)
- The musical “Cats” is an outstanding show that captivates audiences of all ages. It is based on a book of poems called, “Old Possum’s Book Of Practical Cats”, written by T.S. Eliot. “Cats” tells a nonsense story of different cats. The amazing music, unique costumes, and intricate dance choreography bring a breath-taking story to life that a leaves a lasting impression on the viewer. T.S. Eliot’s poems from his “Old Possum’s Book Of Practical Cats”, not only inspired the play “Cats”, but are also used as the lyrics for all of the songs in the play.... [tags: essays research papers]
552 words (1.6 pages)
- Cats All cats, from jungle cats to house cats, belong to the cat family, Felidae, order Carnivora. The cat family, Felidae, order Carnivora, contains about 36 species that are usually grouped into two to four genera, depending on the classification system used. According to one common system, four genera exist: Panthera (jaguar, leopard , lion, tiger), Neofelis (clouded leopard), Acinomyx (cheetah), and Felis (puma, lynx, and smaller cats such as the domestic cat, Pallas's cat, and the wildcat).... [tags: Papers]
407 words (1.2 pages)
- "All the things I am about to tell you are shameless lies." So begins the Books of Bokonon. Bokononism is an original religion that is introduced in this book, Cats Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. The book shows the importance of religion, even if that religion is "shameless lies". It also displays how people convince themselves that things are better then they really are. I read this book because of a promise I made to my father. I'm glad I made that promise; I just read a delightfully funny and deep tale about the end of the world.... [tags: essays research papers]
923 words (2.6 pages)