Atlantis was a continent of the Atlantic Ocean where, according to Plato, an advanced civilization developed some 11,600 years ago. Plato affirms that, as the result of a huge volcanic cataclysm of worldwide extent, this continent sunk away underseas, disappearing forever. Official Science - the one you learn at school - rejects the actual existence of Atlantis, as it has so far been unable to find any traces of its reality. But the reason for that is simple to explain. Everybody has been looking in the wrong locations, as Atlantis indeed lies in the opposite side of the world. So been told, of course…
Wat does the name Atlantis actualy means?
The first thing to keep in mind is that mythical terms have a number of different etymologies, and are often interpretable in different languages, into which they were adapted when the myths were introduced locally. For instance, Atlas means, in Greek, "the one who could not withstand." Atlas was known as the "Pillar of Heaven", that is, its support. When Atlas became overburdened, the skies fell down, burying Atlantis. The names of Atlas and Atlantis originally came from the Sanskrit, which is the Holy Language of India, name of their Hell called Atala. This word means "Deprived of its Pillar" or, conversely "Bottomless" or, rather, "Sunken to the Bottom". Many further derivations are yet possible. Atlas is the personification of the Holy Mountain that is the support of heaven. He is the god that the Hindus equate with Shiva, also called Sthanu, meaning "Pillar of Heaven" in Sanskrit.
The problem of Atlantis.
Actually most of the scientists, scholars and researchers who have been studying the problem of Atlantis build up a lot of theories that are quite different from each other. If we have to report a survey about the possible existence of Atlantis we can know that the 60% of scholars believe in Atlantis and the 40% of them point out the mid Atlantic as the reliable site of Atlantis itself.
Unfortunately the study and research of Atlantis is really difficult and ambiguous because a lot of authors put their own country as the place where old ruins of the ancient empire lie, by showing a useless nationalism, while esoteric fonts describe atlanteans as the first inhabitants of the world, who were firstly on...
... middle of paper ...
...is etc.). In that library all Egyptians’ knowledge was saved and it would have contained some information on Atlantis, since Egyptians are the first civilisation after hypothetical end of Atlantis. Other writers, preceding or succeeding Plato, seem to refer to Atlantis indirectly and they often allude to a great island that were submerged in the ocean. Then, for centuries, during mediaeval age the subject was left apart and the name of Atlantis came back during 1500 and 1600. During Last two centuries small researches in all the world were made to discover Atlantis’ ruins, especially after Donnelly’ s best seller, but results are still poor and some clues were found accidentally (Bimini wall, for example). Gladstone, English prime minister, after reading Donnelly’s book, tried to arrange an expedition for finding Atlantis, but no one wanted to risk such a research. Doctor Ewing studied Atlantic Ocean for 13 years, but he never found anything and eventually concluded "Atlantis never existed".
However, by analysing Plato’s description on Atlantis we can try to get out the truth about Atlantis.
Again, this is a great way, to keep the legend alive, al the evidence is lost….
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Introduction. Atlantis was a continent of the Atlantic Ocean where, according to Plato, an advanced civilization developed some 11,600 years ago. Plato affirms that, as the result of a huge volcanic cataclysm of worldwide extent, this continent sunk away underseas, disappearing forever. Official Science - the one you learn at school - rejects the actual existence of Atlantis, as it has so far been unable to find any traces of its reality. But the reason for that is simple to explain. Everybody has been looking in the wrong locations, as Atlantis indeed lies in the opposite side of the world.... [tags: essays research papers]
1933 words (5.5 pages)
- The Atlantis resort is a casino and water park located on Paradise Island, The Bahamas. The resort officially opened in 1998, it’s Coral and Beach towers opened as the Trump Plaza. After the Royal towers were built the name of the resort changed to Atlantis. Later the Coral and Beach towers were refurbished to match the theme of the Royal towers. A 600-suite luxury hotel was opened on March 28, 2007, called The Cove Atlantis. The Reef Atlantis, another tower with 497 rooms, opened December 19, 2007.... [tags: Travel & Leisure]
967 words (2.8 pages)
- Atlantis ~ The Lost City Atlantis is known to most people as a legend or myth written by the Greek poet Plato, but is it possible that this lost continent really existed. Is it all legend or could there be some fact to it. Contrary to common belief there have been numerous geological and historical findings that actually give proof to the existence of this lost city. In the book Imagining Atlantis it tells us the story written by Plato. "According to ancient Egyptian temple records the Athenians fought an aggressive war against the rulers of Atlantis some nine thousand years earlier and won.... [tags: essays research papers]
1320 words (3.8 pages)
- Fantasy is a tough sell in the twenty-first century. The world has been completely discovered and fully charted. Popular media has effectively minimized the legend and fantastic rumor, and advances in science continue to disprove many ancient myths. Satellites have mapped and studied the earth, leaving only a space frontier that is yet unreachable. But standing out is a charming fantasy the modern world has yet to verify or condemn: the Lost Continent of Atlantis. Plato gave the world its oldest remaining written account of Atlantis, which he had learned from traveling Egyptians (Mythweb.com), and recorded in his works Timeus and Critias ("Atlantis, Again").... [tags: Ancient History]
1181 words (3.4 pages)
- The Bermuda Triangle is one of the biggest mysterious places in the world. Its exact location is at the Atlantic Ocean, which is bounded by Miami, Bermuda and Puerto Rico. In a normal daily life, it is a part of a regularly sailed shipping lane with cruise ships and many small boats also frequently sailing through the sea. Aircraft are also common in the Bermuda Triangle with both private and commercial planes commonly flying over it. While it has a nickname that shows its horror side-the Devil's Triangle.... [tags: Bermuda, Atlantis, UFO]
905 words (2.6 pages)
- ATLANTIS Where is it. Atlantis was an ancient civilization which was destroyed in one massive explosion. Many people have searched for Atlantis but it has still not been found. According to Plato, a Greek philosopher, Atlantis was located in the Atlantic Ocean past the pillars of Hercules, the Strait of Gibraltar. Plato has been credited with many scientific discoveries, but Atlantis’s existence is still unproved. “Plato, one of the fathers of western thought, is out sole direct source for the legend of Atlantis.... [tags: essays research papers]
747 words (2.1 pages)
- Atlantis Myth vs Today’s Science Now that we know the foundation of the Atlantis myth we can now speculate if this is even possible with today’s science and geography. Atlantis was said to be bigger than Asia Minor and Libya combined. This statement made by Plato in the Critias is most likely not true because Atlantis would have to be in the Mediterranean Sea or within a few miles of the Mediterranean Sea such as the Atlantic Ocean or Indian Ocean. The other thought could be that the size was gravely misjudged through the ages and maybe when it got to Plato the myth had outgrown the size of the city.... [tags: History]
692 words (2 pages)
- In "Atlantis - A Lost Sonnet" written by Eavan Boland, discusses how maybe Atlantis isn 't really necessarily a place, but more a description for things people have lost throughout their lives and are gone forever. In the poem, the author is the person talking, but she seems to be more thinking to herself rather than talking aloud. She 's thinking about the lost city of Atlantis at the beginning, or so it seems, but then after the end-stopped line saying "I miss our old city-" the subject of the poem seems to turn to a completely different matter (7).... [tags: Poetry, Emotion, Meter, Drowning]
808 words (2.3 pages)
- About 11,000 years ago, in the somewhere in the Atlantic ocean, was an island called Atlantis. In atlantis there resided a race of people with great technologies far more advanced than any other (“Lost Civilizations:The Story of Atlantis”). According to Greek mythology, Atlantis was home of the Greek god, Poseidon. Poseidon fell in love with a mortal woman and built her a home in the middle of the island and surrounded it with water and land to keep her protected (“Lost Civilization:The Story of Atlantis”).... [tags: mythical places]
1165 words (3.3 pages)
- Introduction We have all heard about the legend of Atlantis. It’s said that Atlantis was an advanced civilization with highly developed economy and technology. But one day, catastrophe occurred in sudden. Atlantis entirely sank beneath the waves in only one day and one night. In thousands of years, Atlantis has caught the imagination of people from all over the world. Many adventurers, historians and anthropologists spent their whole life trying to open the mysterious veil of Atlantis. But has Atlantis ever existed.... [tags: Mythology]
1327 words (3.8 pages)