No one is immune from the affect of the agents of socialization that exist in malls. Anyone and everyone who is part of a society is a product of socialization. Within every advertisement, clothing store, toy store, arcade, music store, etc, there is a gender preferred subliminal message being sent. The way toys are divided into male sections and female sections and the way advertisements portray all men and women in a certain way contribute to societies “norm” of gender roles. The mass media is one of the most influential agents of socialization and malls are surrounded by it. The messages given through the media act as the teachers of gender roles, values, ideologies, and beliefs, and individuals who pick up on these messages eventually take on, whats thought to be, the normative roles of society. Both boys and girls rely on society’s expectations in regard to both masculinity and femininity in order to interpret interaction and to develop expectations for themselves and those around them. It is because of these agents of socialization, that gender roles are created. Advertisements portray both men and women in characteristically stereotypical fashions that support the various institutions and socialization agents. The women depicted in these advertisements fit the stereotypical roles related to sexuality by focusing on beauty, body image, and physical attractiveness. They are skinny and tan, with teeth as white as paper and hair looking healthy and fresh. Girls in society look up to th...
... middle of paper ...
...re much more scarce. For the more adult cards, those for women all had jokes pertaining to looks, weight and/or sex life, while the men’s cards had jokes pertaining to hair loss, blindness, beer belly’s etc. One card I noticed entailed for women had a picture of a gorgeous, tan, and muscular male with the “washboard stomach”, and on the inside was a joke saying something along the lines of how one would love this as her present. This send the message to guys that to be a desirable man, they need to be the typical “tall, dark, and handsome” prince of their dreams, and vise versa for the men’s cards. One card for a male had a picture of a “Bay Watch Babe” assuming that any typical guy would want a woman like that. This tells women that in order to be desirable to men they need to be skinny, gorgeous, and have a high sexual appeal. Wrapping paper is available to “fit” both sexes. In one bin there’s a collection of wrapping paper with trucks, tractors, bulldozers etc, and in the other there is a collection of wrapping paper with Barbie and friends, dolls, butterflies etc for girls. Anyone would get the message that one bin is entailed for males, and the other is entailed for females.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Agents of socialization play an important role in the sociological development of the children. There are different agents of socialization. Those are: family, friends, religion, classmates, neighborhood and mass media. Most influential among them are family and classmates. However, nowadays, mass media is also playing an important role as an agent of socialization. All of these agents of socialization are interconnected. An agent of socialization helps with the advancement transform by impacting the person.... [tags: Sociology, Mass media, Advertising, Media]
904 words (2.6 pages)
- Introductory Paragraph This essay will do the following; demonstrate how the agents of socialization limit our choices, how watching television impacts our society and the mean world syndrome. Limits on Our Choices We are always making decisions and choices. We make decisions that impact our lives in immense ways like, where we go to school, what we choose as our careers and who we choose to spend the rest of our lives with. It may be a surprise to be some, but when it comes to choices, the world is not always our oyster.... [tags: Sociology, Crime, Criminology, Socialization]
705 words (2 pages)
- Agents of socialization are the individuals, groups and institutions that create the social context in which socialization takes place.There has been a couple of agents of socialization that have shaped the way I am. The agents of socialization that have changed me were my family, school, and friends. There were certain people in each category that made a huge impact on my self than others and till this day have affected me on good way. The dedication that these people had with me made me push my self to be a better person.... [tags: Education, Sociology, Family, Lil Wayne]
743 words (2.1 pages)
- a) Agents of socialization/pgs. 79-84: people or groups that affect our self-concept, attitudes, behaviors, or other orientations toward life. In the documentary multiple families travel to China in hopes of adopting a little girl. In the case of the Hall family they have previously adopted their daughter Marissa who is now three and a half years old. They will be traveling back to China to adopt another baby to give Marissa a little sister. This is Marissa’s first trip back to China since her adoption it is interesting to see her level of acculturation.... [tags: Adoption, Family, Foster care, China]
1843 words (5.3 pages)
- Agents of Socialization The major agents of socialization in my life are my family, the schools I attended, my peers, the mass media, and my religion. These aspects in my life were very important for the young lady I have become today and will become in the future. I can remember some of the hidden curricula that I was being forced to learn back in elementary and secondary school. They tried to teach me how to be tidy, organized, tolerant, and respectful. (Berkan 2012) I also learned that certain things considered boy things while others were considered girl things.... [tags: Education, Sociology, Teacher]
912 words (2.6 pages)
- An agent of socialization is something that affects you and thus society as a whole. There are many different agents of socialization. The four most important agents of socialization are family, school, peer groups, and mass media. These agents of socialization influence almost everything and every aspect of one’s life. From how you think to what kind of music you like. Family has major impacts on our lives. From the moment you were born, your family has taught you right from wrong. We get our religion, values, gender roles, language, and habits from our families.... [tags: Sociology, Education, Socialization, Culture]
1146 words (3.3 pages)
- Introduction Socialization is characterized as the methodology of taking in one's society and how to live inside it. There are numerous types of socialization: Essential socialization is the methodology whereby individuals take in the demeanor, values, and activities fitting to people as parts of a specific society. The significant organization answerable for this sort of taking in is the family. Optional socialization alludes to procedure of taking in - what is proper conduct as a part of a more modest gathering inside the bigger social order.... [tags: mass media, government, workplace]
1187 words (3.4 pages)
- There are many agents and stages of socialization. Agents are the things that influence us throughout all of our stages. Family, church, media, schools, and peers are all agents. The stages of socialization are our stages of life, but all cultures have fewer or more stages than others. Childhood, adolescence, adulthood, and old age are the stages in the United States culture. Adolescence can be a very odd stage for anyone but some cultures do not even have it, some countries feel as though adolescence is not needed or that there is not enough time for it.... [tags: Peer group, Adolescence, Want, The Adolescents]
808 words (2.3 pages)
- Agents of Socialization include, family, schools, peers and media. Family serves as the basis in developing attitudes and behaviors. There are many families of multiple backgrounds and during high school I came from a low income family whom didn’t see interaction as important. My parents often kept to themselves and my siblings were the only people I really talked to. I made friends with other peers who also came from low income families and we found activities to do together such as playing card games or hanging out at restaurants.... [tags: High school, Education, College, Socialization]
779 words (2.2 pages)
- Agents of socialization in short are the people, groups, and social institutions, as well as the interactions within these groups that influence a person’s social and self-development. Agents of socialization are believed to provide the critical information needed for children to function successfully as a member of society. Some examples of such agents are family, neighborhood, schools, peers, religion, sports, the workplace, and especially the mass media. Each agent of socialization is linked to another.... [tags: essays research papers]
1763 words (5 pages)