Everday we hear more bad news about our planet. Reports tell us that wildlife and forests are disappearing at an alarming rate. Newscasts give the latest word on how quickly earth is losing its protective shirld and warming up. Newspapers lament the pollution of our air, water, and soil. What can we do in the face of such widespread gloom?
In fact, we do not have to feel helpless. We can each learn practical ways to better our environment.
For example, saving and recycling newspapers has a number of positive results. First, recycling newspaper saves trees. The average American consumes about 120 pounds of newsprint a year-enough to use up one tree. That means close to 250 million trees each year are destroyed for paper in this country alone. If we recycled only one-tenth of our newpaper, we would save 25 million trees a year. Second, making new paper from old paper uses up much less energy than making paper from trees. Finally, this process also reduces the air pollution of paper-making by 95 percent.
Another earth saving habit is "precycling" waste. This means buying food and other products packaged only in materials that will decay naturally or that can be recycled. The idea is to prevent unrecyclable materials from even entering the home. For instance, 60 of the 190 pounds of plastic-especially styrofoam-each American uses a year are thrown out as soon as packages are opened. Be kind to your planet by buying eggs, fast food, and other products in cardboard in...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Bishop’s Wife was directed by Henry Koster in 1947. Cary Grant stars as an angel sent to help a newly appointed bishop played by David Niven and his wife played by Loretta Young. The story line is nothing but typical for its time. Niven’s character is having issues raising the funds to build a much needed addition for his church. The wealthy upper class is offering the needed funds in exchange for greedy control and all the say in how it is built. While trying to stay true to his beliefs, the new and young bishop is finding it hard to resist the promised funds of the well off members of the church.... [tags: cary grant, church, neglect]
866 words (2.5 pages)
- Earth First. and the WWF Network are both environmental organizations with ideologies spanning the breadth of environmental concern. Both are well-known for their involvement worldwide. Both face distinct challenges in terms of growth, and both are on precipice of change. Both are faced with choices as to their direction and fate. EF. and the WWF have been successful, with their respective missions in mind, but the structures that have brought them to this point are proving to be obstacles in their development.... [tags: Environmental Organizations, Environment]
2022 words (5.8 pages)
- Jupiter learns that her previous incarnation had been killed and she was the mother of three children, all of whom have begun fighting over her possessions. She meets Kalique, the first of the three siblings. Kalique places her own beauty above all and, to Jupiter’s horror, does not care for the cost of the serum. She also expresses her wish to help Jupiter regain her title as the head of the Abrasax, but only because it decreases her other siblings’ power and value and in doing so, increases her own.... [tags: Human, Morality, Earth, Capital accumulation]
1009 words (2.9 pages)
- "This version of Mother Earth was an anarchist periodical aimed at bringing up progressive issues, and discuss these. It was in circulation among people in the radical community in the United States from 1933 - 1934." -- Wikipedia Repeatedly in history, conceptions of nature have served as ideological justifications for political theory. The most obvious example is the Hobbesian state of nature against which even the most oppressive government appears perfectly legitimate.... [tags: Mother Earth Essays]
3026 words (8.6 pages)
- ... The melting of arctic ice and spread of the ice water caused by global warming will lead to the rise of sea level. People like Maldives islanders will hopelessly lose their homes and countries when sea water horribly overflows and covers all the land if global warming is not prevented. With the information provided by Environment news service, “In the Lunana region of Bhutan on October 7, 1994, the glacial lake Luggye Tsho burst. The ensuing GLOF, which contained an estimated 18 million cubic meters of water, debris and trees, swept downstream killing more than 20 people, and traveled over 204 kilometers” (Lorenz).... [tags: global warming, environmental issues]
1089 words (3.1 pages)
- There is an old proverb in Kabati, Kenya claiming that people should strive to be like the moon. This means that people should always be on their best behavior and be good to others. We complain when there is too much sun and it gets unbearably hot, or when it rains too much or is cold. But, no one grumbles when the moon shines. Maybe this saying should not be so limited as to only pertain to being good to people. Maybe we, as a people, should be on our best behavior when caring for the planet, our only home.... [tags: climate, atmosphere, earth]
838 words (2.4 pages)
- In The Creation: An Appeal to save life on earth, E.O. Wilson claims that the sixth mass extinction for humanity has started to take progress and will be as devastating like the last years of the Eremozoic Era, and that humanity must take a stand to either evolve with the changing environment or change the whole environment around us by integrating genetic engineering (91). In the 21st century, products that were grown in a test tube are inevitable in our life. Genetic engineering has become more advance over the last decade, and it is making our lives easier and more dependent on it.... [tags: Cloning, DNA, Organism, Gene]
1232 words (3.5 pages)
- Acting versus lying essay From the start of life we are taught not to lie. As life progresses we learn that honesty may not be the best policy. That is, if getting ahead in life is important. This idea is taught in many ways, one is by acting. Every time an actor/actress is on a set they portray a different character this is evidence that lying is fine as long as it is acting. Movies and plays support that maybe lying is not always bad. The thing is are the different or are they the same. Are we acting when we are lying.... [tags: Acting]
560 words (1.6 pages)
- Recycling: Save Planet Earth Preserving the environment is very important. One way that would be possible is by recycling. Recycling is the recovery and reprocessing of waste materials for use in new products. There are important environmental and economic benefits connected with recycling. Common materials that are recycled consist of aluminum cans, glass, paper, wood, and plastic (“Recycling”). Cleveland, Ohio joined the ranks of requiring recycling and also fines the homeowners for not disposing of waste correctly or leaving cans out too early or too long (McElroy 1).... [tags: waste materials, energy costs]
824 words (2.4 pages)
- To Save the Earth I wonder how much the front yard of my childhood home is worth. Of course, it's worth less now than before. Once, a stately tree stood in each corner: a tall lilac, a pine, a cherry tree, and a droopy evergreen. My favorite tree lived in the middle. I never knew what kind it was, but every spring it blossomed in delicate pink, and on warm afternoons, I read under its canopy. The front yard no longer looks like that, however. My father removed the lilac bush because it made the lawn too difficult to mow, and cut many of the branches from the pine and my pink-flowered tree so that friends could park their cars on our lawn rather than getting ticketed for parking on the... [tags: Environment Environmental Ecology Essays]
1048 words (3 pages)