The protagonist is a 9 year old boy, Dave Pelzer. The setting mostly takes place in his mother’s house. All of a sudden his mother and father started drinking and had problems in their relationship. His mother is always telling him how he ruined her life and treats him worse than a dog. He sleeps in the basement and is punished very severely when he does something “wrong” according to her. His father didn’t like to argue with his mother so never really did anything. People at school didn’t know what was going on. Dave felt unloved and unwanted. He was lonely and didn’t have any friends. Since he only got to wear new clothes once a year, he was often made fun of .
David goes through several changes. In the beginning David was a very happy child and had a perfect family. His mom was very loving and took care of them. They would go on family trips and had a good time. Everything changed when his parents started fighting and got a divorce. His father started drinking ...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The book I read is called A Child Called It. It is written by Dave Pelzer. The theme of this book is to keep hope alive. You should have faith and dreams to have something to look forward to in your future especially when you feel you can’t go on any more. Like Dave, he felt trapped as if he was never going to be free. He used his dreams and illusions every time he was hurting to help him get away from the pain. This is what kept this little boy alive. He had something to reach for and never quit.... [tags: A Child Called It Dave Pelzer]
694 words (2 pages)
- A Child Called "It", by Dave Pelzer, is a first person narrative of a child’s struggle through a traumatic abused childhood. The book begins with Dave telling us about his last day at his Mother’s house before he was taken away by law enforcement. At first I could not understand why he had started at the end of his tale, but after reading the entire book it was clear to me that it was easier to read it knowing there indeed was a light at the end of the dark tunnel. This horrific account of extreme abuse leaves us with a great number of questions which unfortunately we do not have answers for.... [tags: Dave Pelzer]
1134 words (3.2 pages)
- In the book “A Child Called It” by Dave Pelzer, Dave is remembering his childhood, and the point it turned into a living nightmare, one in which his once loving mother falls prey to her alcoholism. Dave had a joyful childhood for a while, a loving mother and father and brothers he could play with. It was when his mother’s addiction and his father’s cowardice began, that Dave’s life was irrevocably changed. Dave became the sole target of his mother’s abuse, he was put through extreme torture, physical, metal, and emotional.... [tags: alcoholism, child abuse]
563 words (1.6 pages)
- A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer is an intriguing, yet intimidating journey through the torturing childhood of the author himself. Dave being the outcast of his own family and being a victim of severe parental abuse, will leave you in suspense as you wait with anticipation for the end of this little boys struggle to live. This book is a wonderful, and uniquely inspiring story that is sure to touch your heart. Dave Pelzer, a four-year-old boy, who lived with both of his parents and two siblings, had a relatively normal life.... [tags: IT Pelzer Child Abuse]
909 words (2.6 pages)
- Dave Pelzer A child called it and The lost boy David Pelzer’s books, “The Child Called It” and “The Lost Boy” should be taught in high school English classes. I think most students in a high school English class are old enough and, mature to handle the contents of the books and to get a understanding of what David went through. At times the books are a little to detailed, but people have to understand it is something that happens in everyday life, and people cant be prejudiced towards the children.... [tags: Essays Papers]
630 words (1.8 pages)
- In American society today we fail to address several issues that need to be addressed. Unfortunately, child abuse is one of the major issues that our country is plagued with, yet we neglect to bring this to the attention of the entire nation. It is often over looked because everyone has a different view of what exactly defines child abuse. The International Child Abuse Network (ICAN) uses four basis categories to docunment the child abuse cases. They are: emotional abuse, neglect, physical abuse, and sexual abuse.... [tags: A Child Called It Essays]
1704 words (4.9 pages)
- A Child Called It was about the struggles of a young boy named Dave Pelzer. Dave was put through hard times and at some point lost hope in his dreams and doubted the humanity of mankind, but in the end because of his strong will he was able to overcome his problems and make a better life for himself. When Dave was younger him and his brothers, Ronald and Stan were happy in a normal family with a loving mom and dad, but as years passed things started to change. Dave’s parents became alcoholics. His father never came home and his mother had lost her brightness and love of life, resorting to alcohol to get through the day.... [tags: essays research papers]
581 words (1.7 pages)
- One Child’s Courage to Survive: “ A Child Called It ” Abstract This is one of the best, yet saddest books that I have ever read. There are so many bad things out there that are happening to good people. We just have no idea. You never know what is going on behind closed doors. I am so lucky not to have experienced anything like this growing up. There is so much reality in this book, but I never knew that reality was ever this awful. It brought me to a realization that I have never known before.... [tags: essays research papers]
2130 words (6.1 pages)
- A Child Called 'It' 'You are a nobody. An It!?(Pelzer 140). These were the raw, disheartened remarks that came from the disgusting coldhearted mother's mouth. These painful hurting remarks at her son was how the book got its title and that's what interested me in reading this book. A Child Called 'It', by Dave Pelzer, is a life-changing story about, a young boy who is starved, beat, and tortured by his mother and her cruel games, yet he manages to turn his life around when he grows up. This young boy uses his faith, self-discipline, and will power to overrule his mother's destruction and life damaging obstacles.... [tags: essays research papers]
372 words (1.1 pages)
- A Child Called “It” By:David Pelzer I chose the book, The Child Called “It” because one of my friends told me about the book. The whole story line caught my attention. I was amazed at what was going on in this boy’s life. This book, a true story, is very emotional. The title relates to the book because his mother calls the boy, David Pelzer, “It”. She does not call him by his real name. His mother treats him like he is nothing but an object. Also, I think the title fits well because it catches people’s attention and gives a clue what the book is about.... [tags: Free Essay Writer]
831 words (2.4 pages)