'The HEV [Hybrid Electric Vehicle] concept goes back to 1905. On November 23 of that year, American engineer H. Piper filed for a patent on a hybrid vehicle. Piper's design called for an electric motor to augment a gasoline engine'(1, pg 2) and thus, the HEV was born. Hybrid Electric Vehicles, otherwise known as HEVs are vehicles that 'combine the internal combustion engine of a conventional vehicle with the battery and electric motor of an electric vehicle'(2).
In this day and age car manufactures are trying to out-compete one another in terms of car features and sales. Technology has come a long way since 1905 but the principle is still the same: to produce hybrid vehicles that not only can compete with standard vehicles in terms of price and available features, but that also offer better mileage and less pollution. One may understand why hybrid vehicles are a good choice, but one may not understand why more auto manufacturers have turned to hybrids instead of electric vehicles. 'HEVs do not share an electric vehicle's main drawback: limited range between chargings. The few thousand electric vehicles on the roads in the U.S' can travel only about 80 miles before their batteries need recharging, which can take anywhere from three to eight hours'(1, pg1). For those who do not wish to be constrained by having to charge up batteries and worry about mileage, HEVs are the next logical choice.
There are two different types of hybrid vehicles: parallel and designated series. The following is a good description of each :
?In a series hybrid, the internal combustion engine drives a generator that charges the batteries, whic...
... middle of paper ...
...ent as well. Hybrid vehicles emit significantly less pollutants than do standard cars and trucks and their fuel efficiency is also a positive aspect that can attract consumers who are interested in saving money. As technology advances and hybrid technologies becomes more efficient it seems that the HEV ?could be- - and in fact should be - - the car of the near future?(1).
1) Online version of Scientific American article, by Wouk, Victor. October 1997.
Hybrid Electric Vehicles: http://www.sciam.com/1097issue/1097wouk.html
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Hybrid engines represent the way forward in vehicle design 1/. Ehsani et al (2009) states "Hybrid electric vehicle 's which use two power sources (a primary power source and secondary power source), have the advantages of both internal combustion engine vehicles and electric vehicle (EV) and overcomes their disadvantages.” This explains that in comparison to internal combustion engines and electric engines, hybrid engines are identified to be more efficient. This article is used because Ehsani et al (2009) extensively gave detailed information on how hybrid engine vehicles worked and the reasons which it could be the way forward in vehicle designs.... [tags: Internal combustion engine, Electric vehicle]
874 words (2.5 pages)
- Hybrid and electric vehicles are the future of our world. They won’t be replacing every single gas vehicle in the United States but hybrids and electric vehicles will certainly become more prevalent in everyday life. Electric and hybrid vehicles have actually been around for a quite a while with electric cars dating all the way back to 1828. Hybrid vehicles have evolved a tremendous amount in the past 100 years leading to improved fuel economy and lower cost of the vehicle itself. Hybrid and electric vehicles come in many different sizes such as a large SUV to a small car.... [tags: Internal combustion engine, Electric vehicle]
1609 words (4.6 pages)
- Gasoline vs. Electric Vehicles Pollution is one of the biggest issues facing the global community today, and has been a critical issue over the past few decades. Apart from factories spewing tons of carbon waste into the atmosphere, cars are the worst culprits at spreading pollution. Gasoline-powered motor vehicles in particular have been strongly criticized by environmentalists due to the extent of their damage to the environment. Electric cars have been discussed and recommended as potentially lasting solutions to this solution but the question still remains as to whether they are viable for use in society.... [tags: Automobile, Electric vehicle, Plug-in hybrid]
1110 words (3.2 pages)
- Pollution is one of the biggest issues facing the global community today, and has been a critical issue over the past few decades. Apart from factories spewing tons of carbon waste into the atmosphere, cars are the worst culprits in spreading pollution. Gasoline-powered motor vehicles in particular have been strongly criticized by environmentalists due to the extent of their damage to the environment. Electric cars have been discussed and recommended as potentially lasting solutions to this solution, but the question still remains as to whether they are viable for use in society.... [tags: Automobile, Electric vehicle, Plug-in hybrid]
1108 words (3.2 pages)
- 8 Reasons to Go Hybrid 8 Reasons to Go Hybrid Sales of hybrid vehicles in the United States have jumped from 17 sales in 1999 to 470,383 in 2014. The annual growth rate of the hybrid market has advanced across all makes and models and includes luxury vehicles, family sedans and economy vehicles. Hybrid car owners can save hundreds of dollars on fuel costs, receive tax incentives and driving perks and find hybrid vehicles in attractive models from their favorite manufacturers. Hybrid Technology Becomes Increasingly Common This article will explore some of the benefits of going hybrid, which include getting lower fuel costs, driving greener, cutting noise pollution and reducing dependen... [tags: Internal combustion engine, Hybrid vehicle]
1177 words (3.4 pages)
- Usually people feel uncomfortable of new technology that is clearly shown in the field of electric vehicles, where old ideas are still misconceptions for the other about this type of cars. The idea of inventing a car depending on the electric motors has started since more than a century. Since then, the developers designed many attempts experimental and standard models of electric vehicles; however, they were not able to achieve the successful in this area until today. The essential of electric vehicles remains as it is, hasn’t got any change since 100 years ago, because the extent of these models is still limited.... [tags: innovation, technology, pollution]
1213 words (3.5 pages)
- To discuss why hybrid power vehicles are in trouble in Chinese market Introduction： As we know, modern vehicles product many problems, such as pollution of environment, energy consumption and so on. The hybrid power technology Is a new solution to these problems. At the beginning, some scientists and engineers want to develop a new generation vehicle. But they meet a series of severe problems that use new energy instead of the fuel and diesel. By a long time experience, they had to decide on using hybrid power technology.... [tags: Environment, Pollution]
1261 words (3.6 pages)
- ... [Using the same type of batteries he helped to prepare the first electric flight of a manned aircraft which was a modified motor-glider MB-E1. This aircraft was flown by pilot H. Brditschka in October 1973 and due to the technology of these years flight was only possible for up to 15 minutes but this historic moment showed the feasibility of electric propulsion for man carrying aircraft.] (Hepperle, 2013) Current Propulsion Systems The current technologies of aircraft propulsion system we use today store its source of energy in liquid form which is based on fossil fuels and it’s burnt to provide power for the production of thrust.... [tags: electric propulsion systems for flying vehicles]
1146 words (3.3 pages)
- 1914 Galt Gas Electric History of Company and Vehicle : Around hundred years ago, there were few entrepreneurs who tried to develop new vehicles in Cambridge (Ontario) which was called Galt at that time. Moffat St. Clair and Eddy Fleming purchased a failed car company-Canadian Motors Ltd. which manufactured Galt Touring Car in 1911. They renamed the company as Galt Motor Company and manufactured around 10 gas-powered vehicles which were named after the town Galt. These cars were just made to generate money for their new venture of Hybrid car-The Galt Gas Electric.... [tags: Internal combustion engine, Electric vehicle]
724 words (2.1 pages)
- If you listen to the car companies, hybrid cars are the best invention since sliced bread. While there are many reasons to buy a hybrid car, including a new tax incentive for US owners, it doesn't hurt to have a good understanding of how they work. This article explores the myths, benefits and drawbacks of owning one of these new "green" vehicles. Are hybrid cars really more cost effective. What is a hybrid car. Basically, it's a normal, fuel efficient car that has two motors an electric motor and a gasoline powered motor.... [tags: Hybrid Automobiles Cars]
1191 words (3.4 pages)