Steroids are unhealthy for baseball players and they are giving the game of baseball a bad reputation. Since steroids have become such a hot topic in Major League Baseball (MLB) fans have had nothing but bad things to say about the sport and its players. When sports illustrated asked some of its readers to give reaction to the steroid controversy in the MLB here is what baseball fan Howard Langsner from New York had to say 'Horrible, just horrible. We take Olympic medals away from athletes on steroids, but we're supposed to look the other way in MLB because a guy can make the ball go further? Drug testing is commonplace everywhere, and used in other sports, as the article mentioned. Baseball should be no different'. Matt Bookman of San Jose, California writes 'That's it. I'm done as a baseball fan until MLB has a comprehensive drug testing policy. I feel so naive. I really thought that the players had gotten bigger and stronger because they had learned the value of hitting the weight room and staying in shape during the off season. It breaks my heart that I won't be able to give my children the same experience I had growing up -- to go to the ballpark and feel good about your guys and cheer on your team.' The fans reaction speaks for itself but MLB should not sit back and let steroids take over a game that was at one time America?s pastime. In this paper research will be given on what exactly are anabolic steroids and how they can affect your body, testing policies, the effectiveness of steroids on players and major league baseball.
There are many different kinds of steroids but anabolic steroids are the ones most commonly used by pro baseball player. Anabolic steroids are synthetic ...
... middle of paper ...
... It takes no fool to realize that without the fans there is no professional baseball. The fans who are the ones who pay the salaries of the players who in all honesty said Canseco is why players are doing steroids, to make the game more exciting with homeruns.
In this paper research was given to prove that steroids are unhealthy for baseball players and giving the game of baseball a bad reputation. MLB is losing their fan base and good name due to the use of anabolic steroids. In the end baseball with suffer the consequences if this problem is not handled quickly and efficiently
Haley, J.(eds.).(2003). Performance-enhancing drugs. San Diego, Ca: Greenhaven Press.
Levine M, H.(eds).(2000). Why are Steroids so ?Big?. Austin, Tx: Greenhaven Press.
Bodely, H. (2005, January 12). Baseball announces tougher steroid policy USA Today, 23, 37.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Steroid Use in Major League Baseball Steroids are unhealthy for baseball players and they are giving the game of baseball a bad reputation. Since steroids have become such a hot topic in Major League Baseball (MLB) fans have had nothing but bad things to say about the sport and its players. When sports illustrated asked some of its readers to give reaction to the steroid controversy in the MLB here is what baseball fan Howard Langsner from New York had to say 'Horrible, just horrible. We take Olympic medals away from athletes on steroids, but we're supposed to look the other way in MLB because a guy can make the ball go further.... [tags: Sports Drugs Steroids Baseball]
1590 words (4.5 pages)
- The purpose in constructing this report is to take a look and study the illegal steroid use in Major League Baseball, and possible ways it can be exempt from the game forever. Use of performance enhancing drugs is cheating and causes inequalities, in which new repercussions should be implemented. These new rules should include a zero tolerance level, records stripped and not being rewarded of their accomplishments; which is to include banishment from an admittance into the Hall of Fame. Furthermore, it causes major health concerns and could end a player’s career, along with mitigating health problems down the road.... [tags: testosterone, hormone, tolerance]
1344 words (3.8 pages)
- Steroid Use in Major League Baseball Why Major League Baseball players would use steroids is the biggest question that every person in the world wants to know. I think MLB players use steroids so they can bulk up and get stronger, which will allow them to last through the long, seven-month season. I think that because they play 162 games a year during these seven months that this causes a great deal of wear and tear on their bodies. Especially if a player gets hurt, they might try to take illegal medicines, such as steroids, to help them get back on the field quicker, hoping that maybe they could help their team win the pennant.... [tags: Sports]
1276 words (3.6 pages)
- The Use of Steroids in Major League Baseball He walked into his hotel bathroom and cautiously closed the door. Clanging his 60 lb. dumbbell against the floor, he set his travel bag full of needles on the counter. While filling his syringe with THG, he began to think about the consequences of his actions; it is a serious problem, but he doesn't have the willpower to give up the success rewarded from it. As the needle slowly penetrated through the skin and half way through his muscle, he unloaded the syringe and felt the steroids settle throughout his leg.... [tags: Expository Essays Research Papers]
3079 words (8.8 pages)
- Steroids in baseball, particularly in Major League Baseball (MLB), have become a major issue. Two specific athletes have affected Major league Baseball dramatically; these players are Mark McGwire and Barry Bonds. It is hard to catch a steroid user. Don Catlin, a former director at the UCLA Olympic testing lab says time after time they try to find the users and test them method, after they have evidence, however, this method does not work (Quinn). Mark McGwire’s and Barry Bonds’ use of steroids affected baseball in terms of trust issues, record holders, drug policies, and the future of baseball.... [tags: Mark McGwire, Barry Bonds]
1591 words (4.5 pages)
- Anabolic Steroid Use in Major League Baseball (MLB) - Steroids Must be Banned Athletes, whether they are young or old, pro or amateur, are always looking to gain an advantage over their opponent. Some may look towards an anabolic steroid, a powerful drug that many people take in order to boost athletic performance. But are these anabolic steroids safe for the human body. Many doctors think the answer to this question is no. The use of steroids in the MLB should be banned, as they are now. In the 1930’s, steroids were known to be used for homosexuals to lower there testosterone.... [tags: Athletes Sports Drugs Anabolic]
507 words (1.4 pages)
- Major League Baseball has major problems and chief among them is the alarming increase in steroid use by professional baseball players. Many authors and journalists discuss this topic by citing statistics and studies, but illustrator Adam Zyglis provides an astounding, compelling argument using nothing but a pen and paper to support his point. His remarkable caricature is a depiction of a baseball with the New York Yankees insignia stamped in the center with the number thirteen beneath the symbol.... [tags: Major League Baseball, Drug Testing]
904 words (2.6 pages)
- Imagine a drug that would turn anyone from a slim, slender, frail being to a masculine, bodybuilding physique, increasing strength and endurance to help boost performance level in any sport. Without knowing the side effects would you take this drug. This drug known as an anabolic androgenic steroid has been used by many professional athletes to help improve their performance level. Anabolic androgenic steroids are a synthetic derivative of the male hormone testosterone used to build muscle mass.... [tags: Use of Anabolic Steroids]
1084 words (3.1 pages)
- The Use of Steroids in Major League Sports There has been a lot of controversy about steroids in sports. The pressure has caused some sport stars to admit to their use of steroids. Some of these people are Barry Bonds, Gary Sheffield, and Jason Giambi. Steroids though seem very helpful to professional athletes, it can very dangerous and can help people get advantage over other people. Steroids have been around for a long time. “The first people to use anabolic steroids for athletic enhancement were the Russians who discovered the drug and had great success.” They stared to use the steroids in the 1950’s.... [tags: Athletes Drugs Professional Baseball Doping]
816 words (2.3 pages)
- Analysis of the Official Website of Major League Baseball Major League Baseball is not only America’s favorite past time but, it is also one of America’s longest known sports. As the playoffs approach this year baseball gets more intense as the teams try to secure their playoff position as well as making the wildcard cut. The Major League Baseball website is to everyone who loves the game and wants to follow up on all the latest games along with the great plays of the day. There is a step by step process for following every game of the day.... [tags: Website Major League Baseball]
696 words (2 pages)