setbacks. In order for one to understand the benefits of the program one must know what
its goals are, how its goals continue to be accomplished, what specific setbacks are remedied from it and how others feel about it.
Head Start is a comprehensive child development program that has an overall goal
to prepare children from low-income families for school (The Administration For Children And Families, 2002). To prepare a child for school the program has the goal of
meeting educational, health, social service, and parental needs. “Head Start also wants to help bring about a greater degree of social competence in these children (Mallory and Goldsmith, 2002).” The program has met a goal of impacting child development and day care services, and the increasing availability of services offered to low-income families and their children (US Department of Health and Human Services, 2002).
There are many factors that play a part in the accomplishment of these goals.
Head Start meets educational needs by ensuring that each child is exposed to different learning experiences that nurse intellectual, social, and emotional growth (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2002). The children are in an atmosphere for gaining knowledge but at the same time are placed with peers whom they can build social skills and form relationships with.
Health needs are met due to the program’s emphasis on early detection of medical problems. Each child in Head Start becomes involved in a health program. The health program covers immunizations, medical, dental, and mental services (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2002). Immunizations are ...
... middle of paper ...
...t in any benefits offered by the Head Start program.” This is the time when that statement is proven wrong. “In 1968, Head Start began funding a program that eventually became called Sesame Street. It is a Carnegie Corporation Preschool Television Show that is still aired to this day (The Administration for Children and Families, 2002).” Granted some people have not viewed the show , however, their children may have. If that is not the case plenty of people are still familiar with the name and concepts of the show Sesame Street.
The Head Start program is extremely beneficial to communities across the United States of America. The program set goals, continues to accomplish them, remedies educational setbacks for low-income families and children and raises debates about the success of such programs which only pushes them to strive harder to reach their goals.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Head Start Head Start and Early Head Start are comprehensive child development programs which serve children from birth to age five, pregnant woman and their extended families. They are child-focused programs that have the overall goal of increasing the school readiness of young children in low-income families. . These programs try to prepare young children intellectually, socially, emotionally and physically for their future educational and social endeavors. ( U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2002)..... [tags: essays papers]
1651 words (4.7 pages)
- Identifying the information On Wednesday, October 14, 2015, I was able to attend a home visit with Monika. The home visit consists of the mother, her two year old daughter, and one and a half month old son. The mother and her children are currently enrolled in the Early Head Start program in order to promote health and development, but also provide additional assistance and support. Purpose of the session Before the visit, Monika described what the home visit will cover and what to expect. I am able to see this family on a weekly basis so every week there are new things that I am able to learn about the family and see how they interact with Monika and I.... [tags: Family, Son, Daughter, Head Start Program]
882 words (2.5 pages)
- I chose head start as my topic, I chose this because I think that Head Start is something that can really benefit the children and how you are starting them in a positive learning experience that can affect the student throughout their life. I also chose this because I think that it can really impact the students on how they learn throughout their lives. It is also beneficial for the parents to learn about how they can help children become better students. Gichuru, M., Riley, J. G., Robertson, J., & Park, M.... [tags: Early childhood education, Kindergarten]
1822 words (5.2 pages)
- No one person can have too much or too little education; it's a necessity in all aspects of life. Anyone can learn how to do something and be successful at it. The process of learning becomes a person's education and knowing how to utilize that skill. Education is the amount of information processed by an individual that aids in success. There are always learning opportunities any, and everywhere there is just a need for support and encouragement. When pondering education, many think about the first place they were introduced to learning or their first experience with processing information, and that would most likely be a prekindergarten program.... [tags: preschool education advantages]
1553 words (4.4 pages)
- In January of 1964 Lyndon B. Johnson declared “war on poverty” in a state of the union speech. His dream for a better America came with the greatest prosperity of the post war years. The nations GNP was up, unemployment was down and disposable personal income was at an all-time high. As the baby boom generation aged more American’s than ever would enter the work force and it was imperative that the county develop some a plan for its growing nation. As part of Johnsons war on poverty he create the idea of a “great society” in which ground rules where laid out for programs that the president was sure would help the nation.... [tags: education, children, wellbeing, head start]
1421 words (4.1 pages)
- Daycare more beneficial than home child care Most parents in the United States work or go to school, and face an issue when deciding where daycare is more beneficial than home child care. “Children who go to daycare are expose to a safe environment and quality care”. Doubting on where the child is going to stay in a home child care, with the babysitter, friend, or a close relative can put stress on the parents. The research for a parent can add on, finding a price that meets their budget could be a significant factor as well.... [tags: Early childhood education, Day care, Childhood]
729 words (2.1 pages)
- The Head Start Program contributes to the successful learning of children in a major way. Head Start promotes healthy prenatal out comes, enhances the development of infants and toddlers, and promotes healthy family functioning. The children are giving a better chance to succeed in school and life. Therefore, the rate of human learning and development is in the early years. Head Start is a Federal funded, comprehensive child development program that has an overall goal to prepare children from low-income families for school (Administration for Children and Families).... [tags: Early Learning, education, Head Start]
624 words (1.8 pages)
- I was born in Vancouver and was raised in the city of Surrey, where I currently live. I have many interests such as sports, food, computers and music. When I’m not at school, some of my favourite hobbies include playing basketball with friends, working out at the gym and watching comedy movies. My parents are both from India and moved to Canada in their teenage years. I also have two younger brothers. Growing up I spoke Punjabi at home as it is my mother tongue and I have been taught to believe in Sikh values and beliefs.... [tags: High school, College, Education, Computer]
714 words (2 pages)
- RMSER Head Start (herein referred to as HS) is a federally funded preschool program that has been operating in Colorado for over 30 years (Rocky Mountain Service, Employment, Redevelopment website, n.d.). Unfortunately, HS has experienced a lot of issues in recent years that have proven to be very costly for the program. In 2011, the Federal Review Findings indicate numerous compliance issues with program governance and communication, as well as problems with accurate and timely reporting (Rocky Mountain Service, Employment, Redevelopment website, n.d.).... [tags: Poor Administration of Head Start]
2774 words (7.9 pages)
- Since mankind’s beginning, it has always felt the need to explore beyond farther than it has already explored; whether it be the crossing of the Atlantic to the New World or the exploration of the land acquired through the Louisiana Purchase, humans have always felt the need to explore and study what they do not know (SV;SV). But now since the world has been near scraped dry of new places to explore, where does mankind turn. Of course the answer is space, the vast and great unknown. One of the largest contributors to the human exploration of space is none other than those of the United States of America who have taken on large goals with the risk of lives for the sake of knowledge while alwa... [tags: NASA, the last frontier]
1611 words (4.6 pages)