There is a great divide between rich school districts and poor school districts in respect to students’ achievements. Many of the poor school districts’ student population consists of minorities, which adds to the stereotypes of minorities not being intelligent. “These students, for whom a strong education is especially essential, are being left behind - and being left behind in greater and greater numbers over the past decade” (“Equity” par 1).
One way that this problem has occurred is that in many poor districts, many of the teachers are not certified in the area in which they teach. In fact, forty percent of the Math teachers teaching in poor districts and thirty-one percent of the English teachers teaching in poor districts do not the proper certification for the subject they are teaching. This is compared to the twenty-eight percent of Math teachers and nineteen percent of English teachers in richer districts (“Equity”).
The expectations for students in poor districts are not the same as the expectations of students is wealthier districts. Students that receive A’s in poorer districts do not do as well on standardized tests as A-students in wealthy districts. Therefore, getting A’s in poorer schools does not hold the same weight as going to a “better” school and receiving an “ A” there, or better yet, having a chance to make the Honor Roll at the better school. Statistics show that students that receive A’s in poverty-stricken schools do as well as affluent students that receive C’s and D’s in their schools.
As a whole, the situation is not getting any better. The gap in educational achievement between the two types of schools is not good. The neglect in the welfare of students’ e...
... middle of paper ...
...ss for the teachers so they can craft lessons to make sure each student at the very least, is meeting specific standards.
For any reason under the No Child Left Behind Act, a child is not showing improvement with the help of the federal funds implemented into the school, the child will either have the option to leave his or her current school and attend a school of higher achievement, or the child will be entitled to free tutoring in the community.
For the first time in education’s history, states and local education agencies will have more flexibility with the use of their Federal education funding because of the No Child Left Behind Act. The result of this will allow local authorities, principals, and parents to use quality information that is factual and data based to improve public education for every child, so that no child gets left behind in education.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- HTML & CSS To build a webpage you are going to need a few things • A text editor such as programs called Notepad++, Sublime text, Microsoft’s Visual Studio or ever just the notepad program that comes in Windows • A web browser like Google Chrome, Firefox or Internet Explorer For this tutorial you do not need any experience in HTML, CSS or any other web development experience. HTML stands for Hyper Text Mark-Up and is a scripting language used to make webpages. CSS stands for Cascading Style Sheet and works alongside HTML to style the website, I will talk about CSS later on in this tutorial.... [tags: text editor, web browser, html]
1740 words (5 pages)
- Recent research has uncovered that the Millennial Generation are more Narcissistic than previous generations (Orr et al., 2009). Narcissistic Personality Disorder is “identified by the presence of grandiose self-importance...” (Bender, 2012). Narcissists tend to see themselves as being intelligent, powerful, physically attractive, special and unique, and they expect special treatment from others while believing they owe nothing in return (McKinney, Kelly & Duran, 2012; Orr et al., 2009). Alongside this increase of Narcissistic behaviour, there has also been an increase in usage of social networking sites (SNSs) (Orr et al., 2009).... [tags: Narcissistic personality disorder, Narcissism]
1210 words (3.5 pages)
- Every story that makes the front page a paper has to go through a “test” where the editor of that newspaper company decides whether the story is good enough for the front page. The editor makes the decision of whether or not the story is news worthy. The editor uses various different values to help him/her in their decision of what actually goes on the front page. Sometimes this judgment by the editor can be based solely on whether or not the story is going to grasp a lot of readers’ attention which would then boost newspaper sales.... [tags: Newspaper]
869 words (2.5 pages)
- Analysis of the Crucible, page 41-42. The influential feeling throughout this extract, is the one sided effort to enjoy the time that they are spending over the meal. These efforts coming from John Proctor. One can gather the reasons for this cold shoulder shown to John by Elizabeth, is down to the broken trust, by John when having a love affair with Abigail earlier in the play. There are many emotions in the extract that show this feeling quite visibly, that can be explored. John shows great effort to show a keen interest in the meal provided by Elizabeth and other aspects of their day-to-day lives.... [tags: Essay on The Crucible]
1231 words (3.5 pages)
- On the 14 February 2014, Ellen Page a nominated Oscar actress came out as gay in a speech that can be recognised as one of the most famous and well known speeches of current times and history. In this essay I will explain how Page’s fame profile and leading influence in the film industry and the world, her vocabulary and language applied in her speech, the deliverance and presentation of the speech and the topic of discrimination amongst the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LBGT) itself contributes to the overall popularity of the speech.... [tags: Oscar nominated actress]
905 words (2.6 pages)
- In the Emergency Department the flu season seems is an incredibly busy time of year. Hospitals are faced with numerous people coming in with complaints of fever, body aches, nausea and vomiting, and the like. According to Thomas & Ademolu (2014), the influenza virus is responsible for 200,000 hospitalizations and 23,000 deaths in the United States per year. With this virus affecting so many patients it is imperative that there be adequate resources available to manage this disease. The following is an evaluation of Flu.gov.... [tags: health, flu season, influenza virus]
915 words (2.6 pages)
- What the Placentia library needs more than anything is a proper "History" section of their website. Currently, the webpage that highlights their history is only a brief list of facts and information, and the historical information and artifacts about the city can only be located through extensive search and accessing a variety of different websites. One condensed updated webpage with easily accessible links to all of Placentia 's historical information would be the ideal solution to the disorganization of the historical information on Placentia that 's currently available to the public.... [tags: Web page, World Wide Web, Website, History]
1034 words (3 pages)
- Date of publication or most recent update Based upon a link to a weekly news webpage, November 6, 2016 is the most recent update. However, the web page does not contain any direct indication of the currency for the web pages primary information. Author and/or organization The owning organization is the National Weather Service (NWS) under the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). Target audience The website’s target audience appears to be members of the general public with little to no extensive knowledge of space weather, but have interest in becoming more aware of the phenomenon associated with it.... [tags: Web page, World Wide Web, Sun]
741 words (2.1 pages)
- DISCUSSION The goal for the present experiment was to purify one of the largest populations of antibodies and soluble proteins, Immunoglobin G (IgG) from rabbit serum. In addition, IgG was purified through Binding affinity chromatography. Due to proteins A and G having a high affinity for IgG a mixture of protein A and G was added to the column as it selectively binds to IgG while a mild buffer was used to wash away unbound protein molecules. Dilutions of bovine serum albumin (BSA) of known concentrations were produced.... [tags: Protein, Molecular biology, SDS-PAGE]
894 words (2.6 pages)
- 1. Introduction Almost 42% of the world 's population has access to the internet. Also, more than 3 billion people around the world now use the Internet via a variety of different devices. In today’s world, for almost every business, it is essential to have a website which serves as an information gateway for customers or visitors to gain insights into the business. Also, the most of Business owners focus on their websites to attract more customers or visitors. Thus, the web analysts start to collect and analyze web data to understand more about customer’s behavior, web traffic, and usage to improve websites to meet customer 's needs and owner 's goal.... [tags: World Wide Web, Web design, Web page]
1771 words (5.1 pages)