Work—just the word is enough to make me nauseous sometimes. Look at the definition of the word: work—effort exerted to do or make something; labor, toil. It isn’t exactly the definition of fun. Okay, granted work isn’t always awful. There are plenty of people who like their jobs, and work can even be fun. But for the most part, we all know that we’d rather be doing just about anything other than working. Luckily for us, we don’t work all the time. No, we sleep, eat, drink, and have fun. How do we have fun? Well, some of us might get our pleasure from eating or drinking, sometimes a little too often. Others of us might have fun spending time with our companions or family, but usually when we think of having fun, we think of actually doing something: playing a game, reading a book, going swimming, whatever it may be. We call these ways that we have fun our hobbies. There are quite possibly an infinite number of hobbies. Who knows how many different ways there are for people to have fun. When it comes to me and my hobbies, however, there is one in particular that stands out above the rest. Fishing is definitely the best way to have fun. Fishing is the best hobby there is.
Why am I so excited about fishing? Why am I so certain that it is my favorite hobby? While I could go on and on about the joys of fishing, there are three major reasons why I think it’s so great. They are that it is a relatively inexpensive hobby, it is very easy, and, most importantly, there are so many ways, and so many people who can have fun doing it.
Fishing is cheap. If you’ve ever looked at a bait and tackle magazine, you might be thinking, yeah, right. You know, you’ve looked in one of those magazines and seen rods and reels that cost over a thousand dollars and lures that are upwards of twenty bucks, just for one lure. If you are thinking this, then you’re right. If you want to fish with professional quality equipment, you are going to spend those kinds of prices. But that’s true for any hobby; professional-grade equipment is going to be very expensive. An official major league baseball, identical to the ones they use in games, costs over ten dollars. When was the last time any of you went out and spent ten dollars for a baseball to play catch with. No, I’m not talking about being a professional fisherman; admittedly, that isn’t cheap. W...
... middle of paper ...
...ve as much fun just riding in the boat as you do catching fish. Another person might think of fishing from a boat, but that person’s perfect fishing trip might be floating in a canoe down a country river. Believe it or not, fishing can even be fun for people who are petrified of the water. Some of the biggest fish ever caught are hooked from riverbanks, fishing piers, or bridges, without the fisherman getting so much as a toe wet. This is why fishing is so great, and I’m not going to even bother comparing it to another hobby, because there is none like it. No, there is no other hobby that can be enjoyed by so many people, in so many places, for so many reasons.
As I said before, there are an infinite number of hobbies that people have and it’s very unlikely fishing is your favorite hobby. I’m sure you can spit right back in my face any number of reasons why your hobby is so great, and you’d probably be right. But before you do that, stop and think about this. Is your hobby or any other hobby you can think of as inexpensive, as easy to learn, or as enjoyed by so many different people as fishing? I doubt it. That is why I love fishing so much; that is why fishing is the best.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Sport-Fishing At Its Best Introduction How many of you have hobbies that you love. Now, I 'd like you to imagine that particular hobby. *Snap fingers*. Well, now this hobby of yours is gone. What are you going to do about it. Cry, protest, and feel helpless. In all honesty, this is exactly how many people who fish for fun feel. Due to the lack of supervision on how salmon farms are doing, it has affected the wild salmon that are the main purpose as to why people fish recreationally. Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Anisha Grover and I’m a spokesperson for the Sport-Fishing Institute of B.C.... [tags: Salmon, Aquaculture, Fish, Aquaculture of salmon]
986 words (2.8 pages)
- When it comes to bass fishing techniques, there is a plethora of information out there that can be confusing for the beginning angler to sort through. By understanding just a few basic techniques, you can cut through all of the information and get the fundamental knowledge that you need in order to successfully catch your first bass. Then as you gain experience, you will be able to build upon the basics that you have learned to become an expert bass fisherman. Clear Water Bass Fishing Techniques Some anglers say that fishing in clear water is the toughest situation for catching bass.... [tags: clear water, colored bait ]
590 words (1.7 pages)
- Becoming a Better Fisher Fishing can be well known for many things. Some include fishing as a competitive sport, whether it be for game or non-game fish. Some include fishing as a hobby. Some may even include fishing as a survival technique that can be used to catch fish for a source of food. Whatever the reason it may be, it is best to always prepare and decide on the location, check the weather forecast, and know the surrounding area. Becoming a better fisher requires appropriate fishing gears, selection of baits to use, and proper techniques.... [tags: Competitive Sport, Hobby, Survival Technique]
1425 words (4.1 pages)
- Fall Crappie Fishing The best fall crappie fishing success regardless of the season is had by realizing crappie always concentrate in areas providing the most comfortable living conditions. Concerning the fall crappie fishing season the transition from summer to autumn is jolting for both fish and also fishermen. Crappie find their world literally turned upside down. Anglers that fish these waters find their target more unpredictable than ever. Overcoming this seasonal challenge will require all the ability, knowledge and patience you are able to muster.... [tags: Water, Hydrology, Fishing, Angling]
1159 words (3.3 pages)
- Fly fishing is a fishing experience that is unlike any other. Being up in the clear mountain waters just casting away, time flies faster than ever. Even on a day when the fish aren't biting, and it just seems like the nothing can go right, just being there is enough to pass the day. Then there are those days when catching a fish is effortless, every knot that is tied is perfect, and every cast is better than the last one; those are the days that are unforgettable. There have been times when it seems as if it is getting dark after just a few casts.... [tags: Fly fishing, Fishing rod, Artificial fly, Angling]
2212 words (6.3 pages)
- “Hurry, Dad, grab the camera,” I yelled excitedly. I was a timid 9-year-old boy and my dad planned a week long fishing trip in Canada. I had gone fishing only one time before and to my dismay, no fish were biting my bait, despite being on the rocky boat for five long hours. This time would be different as I travel up north and my dad told me that Canada offered great fishing. The first fishing lodge we visited was very nice and we brought in about 30 fish a day. My biggest fish was about 25 inches.... [tags: Fishing, Angling, Fishing rod, Fly fishing]
954 words (2.7 pages)
- Fishing is a fun recreational activity and many people like to fish. From pinfish to tuna people catch fish all over the world. Some techniques are brutal and can hurt the environment. An exceptionally brutal tactic is longline fishing. This is where a long line of up to 12,000 hooks and at its longest thirty miles of rope for fish to eat the bait on the hooks and get stuck for a few hours and maybe even days. As said by the website Fishing Gear 101”Longlines are a highly indiscriminate fishing gear.... [tags: Fishing, Recreational fishing, Long Line]
767 words (2.2 pages)
- BASS FISHING The joy of fishing gives anglers ample opportunities to catch a meal that is low in fat and cholesterol and high in protein. Pursuing and catching your meal is a self-fulfilling and thrilling way to spend time with your friends and loved ones. Bass fishing is also an art and requires skill in addition to the proper tools to be successful. Everyone who has spent time fishing in the outdoors knows how relaxing and stress-free life can be. Spending a day interacting with nature gives one a sense of being alive and free.... [tags: Recreational fishing, Fishing, Angling]
939 words (2.7 pages)
- According to the New York Times, canning has seen “an incredible surge of interest recently.” This is not the only newspaper to comment on the growing trend in home food preservation. For this study, online articles from six different North American newspapers with publication dates ranging from 2009 until 2011 were analyzed to determine whether canning is a hobby of distinction or democracy. Josée Johnston and Shyon Baumann’s Foodies discussed the tension between democracy and distinction in relation to the contemporary food movement.... [tags: Hobby]
919 words (2.6 pages)
- My Hobby of Fishing One of my favorite hobbies is fishing. Some people regard this as a boring or an old man's sport, but I value it much more than that. If you have never experienced it, I think you are really missing something, and so you can't truly give your honest opinion on the sport. Humans have been captivated with the sea, and catching fish since the beginning of their existence, and the sport has, in many ways evolved hugely, and yet in many aspects has stayed exactly the same.... [tags: Papers Personal Narrative Hobbies Essays]
1219 words (3.5 pages)