Would you rather be skinny or smart? This question hits young girls across America.
Today many of our young Americans are losing weight to essentially be more “beautiful.”
I use the word “beautiful” carefully because beautiful is not what is on the outside, but the inside is where it counts. Yes, some girls are naturally pretty and smart, but what some people don’t realize is that some of those girls are not eating and not exercising to get the body that they would like. This paper will focus on the young girls that are coming unhealthy to supposedly get the body they would like to have.
In this issue there are many different kinds of people who are involved. It includes anyone who is just not eating an essential meal. This is not just an issue for women, but I’m focusing on mainly the girls because they are the most popular group to be doing this. Each and every time one person tries to lose weight by not eating an essential meal is hurting themselves. They might not care though. Some of the girls know that trying to lose weight should be by not eating. I know for a fact that in health classes that I have had, the teacher has taught us about bulimia and other health conditions relating to this subject.
Most of the time girls are trying to act and look like celebrities. So they can hopefully be as successful as their celebrity. For instance Diana, Princess of Wales was one of the world's most beloved women, suffered from bulimia. It is said to h...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- This was a very troubling yet inspiring documentary. I can’t fathom 27,000 people, five to ten years old, parentless and just walking, BAREFOOT. These poor kids look so hungry, I’ve never seen legs so skinny. However, it brought me comfort knowing the boys formed makeshift families to take care of one another. And it’s pretty remarkable to hear that 11 year olds were capable of taking care of the young (not like they had a choice). I found the bond within their society beautiful. I was disturbed to find out that after traveling 1,000 miles, they lost an absurd amount of lives due to lack of food and water- 1,200 is the new number of lost boys.... [tags: families, society, skinny, weight]
556 words (1.6 pages)
- We’ve all been told that those darn diets do not work, yet millions of Americans still look to be skinny with any alternative other than exercising. The power of television plays a large role of how successful the diet industries are. Everyone is aware of the advertisement methods of diet industries, apparently comparing two photos of some poor overweight fellow, to an amazingly finely fit one wearing the same outfit can persuade thousands of citizens hoping to have the same effect happen to them.... [tags: Society, Body Image, Skinny]
1391 words (4 pages)
- The True Significance of Skinny Legs and All by Tom Robbins In his review of Tom Robbins' Skinny Legs and All entitled "Through Salome's Veils to Ultimate Cognition", Tom Clark expressed his dichotomy of opinions regarding the author's style and also the author's message. Although I agree with Mr. Clark in several aspects, I believe he overlooked the true significance of Skinny Legs and All. Clark accurately described Robbins as an extremely clever writer, but unfortunately also one whose uncertainties of tone and stylistic overreaching affect nearly every page.... [tags: Skinny]
2155 words (6.2 pages)
- A smart grid (SG) is an intelligent electricity network that integrates the actions of all users that are connected to it and make use of advanced information, control, and communication technologies in order to efficiently deliver sustainable, economic and secure electricity supplies . The high-speed, bi-directional, real-time, and integrated communications system is the foundation of SG . In addition to counting and pricing in smart metering, one of its most prominent requirements is to support users in smart energy utilization.... [tags: smart gird, metering, eletrical device]
896 words (2.6 pages)
- ... These blogs create a constant cycle within their makers and viewers, becoming more toxic with each view or post. “Thinspiration” is often posted onto such blogs. Thinspiration being photos of abnormally skinny women or men as a way to inspire oneself to become thinner. Pro-eating disorder websites are a toxic start and result of eating disorders. The major role that pro-eating disorder websites play is introducing new ideals that their viewers will never be able to live up to. Pictures of tall girls with lean legs and captions that promote not eating is a pro-Ana website staple.... [tags: media, personality, ribcage]
1670 words (4.8 pages)
- As long as we continue to expand our technology capabilities we will also be required to expand upon or abilities to safeguard and maintain proper access control. This means increasing the number of security protocols and policies while decreasing the number of people granted access to any given system or set of data. However, in order to do so we must utilize various tools to assist in maintaining this integrity. One of these tools that has only to grow in popularity over the past several years are smart cards.... [tags: Access control, Smart card]
794 words (2.3 pages)
- The Smart Classroom The classroom is a place that is constantly trying to be improved for the betterment of students’ education. New teaching methods and improvement in environment are all constantly being researched; however, recently, research on technology in the classroom has flourished. The Smart Classroom contains these technological advances and triggers them toward in-hancing student learning. Classrooms in the past never really took into consideration that all students learned differently, so one method of teaching was used.... [tags: Education Technology Smart Technolgies Essays]
1573 words (4.5 pages)
- Understanding Gender Roles in Wendy Luttrell's School-Smart and Mother-Wise "I had went so far I just got tired. I had got to the place where I didn't care if I learned anything or not" (59). This quote expresses quite plainly but strongly what many of the women in Wendy Luttrell's School-Smart and Mother-Wise felt in regards to their educational experience. Though Lilly put the thought into words, any number of these women probably had the same feelings concerning their school-age years. This paper will focus on Chapter 5 from that book, "Storied Selves and School Mission".... [tags: School-Smart Mother-Wise]
1545 words (4.4 pages)
- Anorexia Nervosa "Anorexia nervosa... strike(s) a million Americans every year and... one hundred fifty thousand die annually" (Brumberg 20). This outrageous number of deaths has unfortunately been increasing since the 1970's. This deadly disease focuses its attention on young teenage girls. The media gives out messages to promote their products and, knowingly or unknowingly, sends the message to young girls that they should and can look like the models on T.V. Immense pressure put on young girls to look good and to be thin.... [tags: essays research papers]
741 words (2.1 pages)
- Does Skinny Equal Beautiful. What constitutes a woman as beautiful. Is it a genial personality. That might have been an appealing trait in the years past, but these days a woman must be unsightly skinny to be considered beautiful. In years past, a woman with a little meat on their bones was considered attractive. This has caused the female race a great deal of distress. Every female has a desire to be seen as attractive. She wants to be received well by society. Women are being driven to take drastic measures for approval.... [tags: Gender Studies]
1142 words (3.3 pages)