Standing in the center of a larger arena was a young youth whose faith was in the balances. Spectators raise steely on all sides directly in front of him awaiting his death. In front of him was two massive doors behind one were life and bliss, behind another lies a man-eating beast.
The choice he makes of the two doors solely depending on a Semi-Barbaric princess. Whose train of thought might be different from that of a person who is sound of mind. Being of her background, she would easily have led the youth to the door of the beast. Her choice would reflect these three reasons her jealousy, upbringing and her pride.
Jealousy can consume a person and alter their frame of mind. In the passage, the princess’s and the youth’s love was described to be very deep and intense. This kind of intensity may cause a person to experience temporary insanity. Her insanity may have been triggered by thoughts of him with another woman, which in fact she has probably seen him with frequently on many different occasions. “ ... all the intensity of the savage blood transmitted to her through long lines of wholly barbaric ancestors, she hated the woman . . . ” In her rage she might have sent him to a fatal doom simply because she was too selfish to see her love with the fairest maiden in the
Moreover, the princess upbringing does play a key role in her decision. Being so fair and beautiful does not shadow the fact that she is her ...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- This short narrative is more of a tale rather than a story because there is no dialogue; no one speaks to the reader, but the narrator. The narrator knows the story, but people can sense, the he is not there himself. He knows more than what meets the eye. In Frank Stockton’s short story called “The Lady or the Tiger” which was published in 1882 and still has remained an exciting and puzzling ideal that is still practiced today. This type of ending is strange and gives the reader full control to finish the story in their own mind, thus causing much controversy and debate over the topic.... [tags: Love, Romance, Marriage]
1194 words (3.4 pages)
- Frank Stockton’s story “The Lady or the Tiger” is one that has several contrasting emotions and/or feelings throughout the entirety of the story. The daughter of the king is a young, very beautiful woman who has certain protocols that she has to live by. One of the principles is it would be atrocious see any man behind her fathers back and the outcome of this would most likely be fallacious. She did not consider the consequences of her actions and decided she was going to go against his wishes. The king eventually finds out about this secret affair and forces them to discontinue their relationship.... [tags: Literary Analysis, Emotions]
809 words (2.3 pages)
- Frank Stockton’s story “The Lady or the Tiger” is one that has several contrasting emotions and/or feelings throughout the entirety of the story. The daughter of the king is a young, very beautiful woman who has certain protocols that she has to live by. One of the principles is it would be atrocious see any man behind her fathers back and the outcome of this would most likely be fallacious. She did not consider the consequences of her actions and decided she was going to go against his wishes. The king eventually finds out about this secret affair and forces them to discontinue their relationship.... [tags: Analytic Essay]
809 words (2.3 pages)
- In the “The Lady or the Tiger?” Frank R. Stockton describes a short story that takes place in a very olden and barbaric time. This story consist of a “semi-barbaric” king, a lover boy, and a princess. When newly received information of his daughter’s affair come to his attention, the king reveals that the young man she is in love with is unfit to be in a relationship with his daughter. In order for the young man to right his wrong, the king devised a justice system that is based off of fate. In a public arena, that the king created for the accused, stood two doors.... [tags: Boy, Love, Girl, Female]
779 words (2.2 pages)
- What would you do if your love faces the most difficult choice that makes your life change. Would you sacrifice your love for your lover who will marry other people to escape the death, or would you just let him die because of your jealousy. In the myth “The Lady or the Tiger?” Frank R. Stockton tells the story about the feudal dynasty with a contradictory justice system based on the king’s decision. The king is compassionate and patriotic; however, there is another side of him who has opposite behavior, which is barbarous to whom dare to disobey his order.... [tags: Love, Marriage, Barbarian, English-language films]
1866 words (5.3 pages)
- Jealousy and Love in The Lady, or the Tiger. by Frank R. Stockton Women will do almost anything for love, to be loved, or to keep love. That is their mission. When women become jealous, however, the love they want to hold onto disappears, becomes selfishness, and one does not know if it is love anymore. In the short story “The Lady, or the Tiger?” written by Frank R. Stockton, a semi barbaric princess motions which door her lover, the accused man, must open to either receive punishment or a reward.... [tags: The Lady or the Tiger Love Literature Essays]
594 words (1.7 pages)
- “The Lady Or The Tiger?” (Rough Draft) Now let us go back a few days prior to the current events. Upon learning of her father’s decision to place her lover on trial, the young princess approached her father to see if she could sway his decision. Knowing that she was cherished above all else, she thought that she could revert his decision and free her young hero from the clutches of fate. “Father,” said the young princess. “Do you not love me above all else in this world?” she asked. “More than anything,” replied the semi-barbaric king.... [tags: Creative Writing Essays]
1030 words (2.9 pages)
- With colorful orange fur and white colored fur underneath the predator; black stripes draped over its back and the underbelly. Sexual maturity for a Tiger is usually around three years old. Tigers do not have a mating season like other animals, but do tend to breed in the spring. Male Tigers do not stick around for the rearing of the cubs. A Tigris gestation period can last about 15 weeks. Only several litters can be carried by a Tigris in her lifetime. One to six cubs can be in a single litter but only two to three cubs survive.... [tags: Tiger, Tigers, Endangered species, Bengal tiger]
1421 words (4.1 pages)
- In Thomas Wolfe's The Child by Tiger (reprinted in Thomas R. Arp and Greg Johnson, Perrine's Literature: Structure, Sound, and Sense, 9th ed. [Boston: Wadsworth, 2006] Page 625). The story as told through the eyes of a child will show many different ways to view Dick Prosser, the main character, as a man. The child Spangler shows how the children feel about Prosser, how he resembles a cat and how he turns from a good person to bad. Prosser is a big man who is admired by the children. As a black man, he is a servant of one of the children but is loved by all the children.... [tags: The Child by Tiger]
483 words (1.4 pages)
- Born Eldrick T. Woods on December 30, 1975, in Cypress, Calif., golf phenom Tiger Woods has had a career nothing short of spectacular. His father, Earl Woods, began teaching his son the game when he was just a year old. In fact, Tiger's skills were so good at such a young age that it landed him an appearance on the Mike Douglas Show in 1978. The two-year-old Woods' appearance put him up against legendary comedian Bob Hope in a putting contest. At three, he shot a 48 over nine holes at one of his hometown courses.... [tags: Tiger Woods Golf]
951 words (2.7 pages)