Abstraction: The social responsibility is one of important responsibilities defined by ACM in its ethic codes for software engineer. Compare to other responsibilities, social responsibility is more remote and ambiguous. When a software engineer obtained the privilege to practice his/her right from the society, he/she is required to take corresponding responsibilities. But the definition of the responsibilities is not unified in computing professional community but heavily depended on the software engineer's personal life experience and the social environment around him/her. Meanwhile, the final social effect of software is not always straightforward. In many cases, that effect is not decided by software itself but decided by who use it and where it is used. In this article, we will discuss a case that some so-called "Hacktivists" who are trying to break down the "Great Fair Wall" in China. By analyze the arguments around this case and some concerns we may have about these arguments, we are trying to describe the difficulty a software engineer may have to face when he/she assume his/her social responsibility.
Introduction: What Are The Social Responsibility For A Software Engineer
In accordance with ACM code of ethics and professional conduct, software engineer has the social responsibility "to protect fundamental human rights and to respect the diversity of all cultures" and "computing professional must attempt to ensure that the products of their efforts will be used in socially responsible ways". A software engineer also "must be alert to, and make others aware of, any potential damage" about his/her products. The responsibilities are thought as a contract signe...
... middle of paper ...
DeBorah G. Johnson, "Professional Ethics - Society-Professional", Computers Ethics Social Values, pp 568-570, Prentice Hall, Inc., 1995
IEEE-CS/ACM Joint Task Force, "Software Engineer Code of Ethics And Professional Practice, Version 5.2", Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc. and the Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 1999
Jonathan Zittrain and Benjamin Edelman, "Empirical Analysis of Internet Filtering in China", Berkman Center for Internet & Society, Harvard Law School, March 20, 2003 (Last Updated)
MAGGIE FARLEY, "Dissidentd hack the holed on China's New Wall", Los Angeles Times, 1999
Richard Cullen and Pinky D W Choy, "The Internet In China", Columbia Journal of Asian Law, Vol 13 No 1, 99-134, 1999
"China ends blocking of Internet search engine Google", The Mecury News, Posted on Thu, Sep. 12, 2002
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- My chosen career is Software Engineer. Software Engineers create moderately complex software in C, C++, C#, Java, assembly language, or other selected languages for Garmin products and/or applications consistently following Garmin’s coding standards and in accordance with applicable software development methodology and release processes. These software execute design for small sets of new functionality for a project. A typical workday for a software engineer is usually improving on projects you’ve been working on and try to make them better and easier for people to us.... [tags: Software engineering, Computer, Software engineer]
1156 words (3.3 pages)
- Being a Software Engineer is more than just programming. It’s a chance to help other people through the power of technology. Having this as a job gives engineers the power to influence other peoples life through programs that could help them with day to day tasks. Software Engineering is an expanding occupation, which means that more and more jobs are opening up for this position everyday. Also, one of the perks of this job is how much money you make. Software Engineering is a good job because, the market is expanding for it, it pays well, and this job can help other people.... [tags: Software Engineering]
1093 words (3.1 pages)
- The reliability of computer technology has come into question in the last couple of years, however computer technology is extremely important to how todays society functions in everyday activities. Reliability in software is important in personal matters, business matters, and even in government and military systems. There are now ways to ensure reliability such as regular maintanence and laws. The reliability needs to be up to par becuase computer technology is interwoven in todays society. If it is not, the ways in which our current society utilizes computer technology can be in jeopardy.... [tags: Computer, Computer software, Computer security]
2273 words (6.5 pages)
- Before the iPhone became popular, because of the powerful and user-friendly software that is on the iPhone, Steve Jobs declared that “[The] iPhone is a revolutionary and magical product that is literally five years ahead of any other mobile phone” (Steve Jobs). Part of the reason why the iPhone is so revolutionary is because of the software in it. The hardware on the iPhone was slightly more advanced compared to the hardware on other phones but the software on the iPhone was many generations ahead of other smartphones that existed at that time.... [tags: iPhone, User Friendly Software, Steve Jobs]
1863 words (5.3 pages)
- In this paper, I review an interview that took place between Bill Moon, a senior software engineer at Datto and me. When I first prepared for the interview, I didn’t exactly know what to expect. I had never conducted an interview before, and starting out with a higher position in a national company was a little nerve-wracking. To my surprise, it turns out my nerves weren’t so warranted and Bill was a very nice guy. I did show my nerves a little at first, but I was able to calm down after a couple of minutes.... [tags: Software engineering, Computer, Computer science]
1087 words (3.1 pages)
- Corporate social responsibility is essentially a concept whereby the voluntary decision of the company in order to contribute to a better society and a cleaner environment. Corporate social responsibility by contributions by the company, through its operational activities and its social investment to the community. This is the concept of sustainable development to connect to the corporate level. In the past year a growing number of companies around the world began as clients, citizens and investors expect them to adopt sustainable and responsible for promoting their corporate social responsibility strategy.... [tags: Social responsibility]
728 words (2.1 pages)
- ASSESSMENT TWO The importance of Corporate Social Respon-sibility (CSR) and elaborate on its possible advantages and disadvantages for corpora-tions. o La Trobe University o BUS1BW1 o HETTITHANTHIRI PATABANDIGE DON MUDITHA SACHIN GUNASEKARA LTM18854777 o AMIR ROUSAHD o An essay submitted in partial fulfilment of the requirements of the unit Business Writing in the Diploma of Information Technology. Sometime recently, partnership was fundamentally on edge about the economic results of their choices.... [tags: Social responsibility]
1367 words (3.9 pages)
- Corporate social responsibility (CSR) is similar to an individual’s social responsibility. An individual who is socially responsible is aware of how their decisions affect the environment. Corporate social responsibility can be define as “how well a company meets its economic, legal, ethical, and discretionary responsibilities” (Peter & Sarah, p. 51). Corporate social responsibility holds businesses accountable to stakeholders such as consumers, in areas of concern such as environmental factors, community and society in general.... [tags: Social responsibility]
1301 words (3.7 pages)
- Overview of Corporate Social Responsibility Corporate social responsibility is the program aimed at reassuring companies to be more aware of the effect of their financial institutions on the rest of society, including their own stakeholders and the environment. Its main focus is to drive changes towards sustainability. • Types of Corporate Social Responsibility o Environment: The primary focus of corporate social responsibility is the environment. Both large and small financial institutions have a large carbon trail.... [tags: Social responsibility]
809 words (2.3 pages)
- Company X is a plastic injection molding manufacturer located in Highland, Michigan. The company had started in 2005 and survived the hard economic times. Company X started out by first doing applique and added 6 months ago injection molding. There are two owners, and there are less than 75 employees. Every company small or large should take social responsibility. A1. Environmental considerations and recommendations (Planet). Just doing what is right and following the laws will make your company a good citizen, but is that really enough.... [tags: Social Responsibility Essays]
2969 words (8.5 pages)