It was my junior year and football season was over. We had won the state championship. It was time to relax and enjoy basketball season. Basketball season was always a fun time. I was a grade younger than most of my friends who were on the team. I was always the kid that was brought up to sit on the bench or be the sixth man. I never really got too much playing time, however, sometimes if there was a big man on the other team, or some sort of foul trouble for one of the seniors, I would get in. I had been playing with these same kids since the 6th grade. My role on the team had been the same all the way up to this point. That was ok with me. What I really enjoyed though were all the trips and tournaments and just hanging out with my friends.
There was another role I played on the team, I was the team’s clown or the guy that always was playing some sort of practical joke, and usually getting into trouble. This is why I loved tournaments and trips so much. There was so much mischief to get into. On and off the court I was always doing something to make people laugh. Super gluing hotel phones down and calling people at 3:30 in the morning, posting up and yelling “Feed the machine!!”, so the whole gym could hear. The list is numerous and I really should not go into detail. I was very proud of all of these things but what I am most proud of happened in the state championship game.
I woke up the morning of the state game around 10:30. We had to check out of our hotel. I looked around and my eyes felt like they were burning, I looked at the floor and the rest of the room and felt sorry for the maid. Popcorn was spread everywhere, pictures on the wall turned up side down. Our coach made us clean up before we l...
... middle of paper ...
...enied that pass. I posted up on the outside of the free through line. I received the ball dribbled twice. My team slowly rose up off the bench. I let loose with a perfect sky hook. The ball seemed to hang around in mid air for a while. The whole stadium seemed to go quiet, wondering what they had just seen, watching to see if the ball was going to go in. The ball finally landed on the back of the rim and with the perfect spin bounced up and landed in the basket. The whole stadium, 12,000 people erupted in cheer even the other team’s fans. I stood there dumbfounded, not really sure how I made the shot. I probably made two in my whole life time. I laughed all the way down the court and was smiling for at least the next twenty minutes. The hook shot, which I will always be know for in my town and between my friends, has to be one of my greatest sports accomplishments.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- On December 14th, 2012 at 9:35 A.M., at Sandy Hook Elementary School, there was reportedly a mass shooting that killed 20 children between the ages of six and seven as well as six adult staff members. Now even though tragedies like this one sadly happen quite often in America, I believe that the government stages some of them. The reason why the government would stage such an event is to distract the public from other issues that the government is having at that time. The reason why the government staged this particular shooting is so that they can push to have greater gun control and promote more anti-gun laws.... [tags: Firearm, Rifle, Sandy Hook, Weapon]
1504 words (4.3 pages)
- ... With the combination of college and homeschooling by his mother, Nancy Lanza, Adam earned a GED. Throughout school, Lanza was known for his intelligence, but he seemed nervous to many. Teachers and other students took notice to the amount of friends he had. Lanza had no true friends throughout most of his life. Which lead to him being a homebody and resorting to other hobbies to get him by. Such as, spending time with his mother who was a gun enthusiast and took her sons shooting at ranges quite frequently.... [tags: school shootings]
1441 words (4.1 pages)
- The deadliest school shooting to have ever happened in the United States at a high school or grade school, happened less than two years ago. On December 14th, 2012, Adam Lanza, who was twenty years old at the time, shot his mother, Nancy Lanza, four times and then brought firearms to his former grade school Sandy Hook Elementary, and fatally shot twenty children and six adults. Then the shooter put his own gun to his head and fatally shot himself. All of the children were between the ages of six and seven years old, and all six adults who were shot and killed were females who worked at the school.... [tags: United States, Mass Shotings, Gun Control ]
1244 words (3.6 pages)
- On December 14th 2012, just 11 days before Christmas, an awful tragedy happened in Newtown, Connecticut. Twenty-six people were shot at the Sandy Hook Elementary School. This awful event left a lot of unanswered questions and rumors about that day. The reason for that is because the shooter killed himself after shooting twenty young children and six adults. This tragedy open the eyes of everyone; made you want to hug your loves one just a little tighter, appreciate what you still have and never take a day for granted.... [tags: tragedy,violence, checks, gun sales]
2011 words (5.7 pages)
- Sandy Hook Shooting Conspiracies On December Fourteen 2012 Adam Lanza allegedly drove to Sandy Hook Elementary, his old elementary school, and shot and killed twenty-six students and faculty, then turned the gun on himself before apprehension by police. The shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary was a tragic event, it’s hard not to sympathize with the families of those killed. There is a movement, however, that claims the shooting was fake (Spaeth). IT’s believed the shooting was staged in order to pave the way for stricter gun control (Salazar).... [tags: Police, Federal Bureau of Investigation]
1294 words (3.7 pages)
- Sandy Hook Candlelight Vigil This picture was featured on a CBS Pittsburgh news website. Its audience are the people that were affected by the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting and also people who are looking for information as to what happened on this day. It was taken on December 17, 2012, by Mario Tama/Getty Images. The purpose of this website it to show that the teachers worked hard to protect the children in their school, but the killing of innocent people could not have been prevented because of lack of security and resources to stop the shooter.... [tags: Photography, Emotion, Light, Vigil]
1402 words (4 pages)
- The incident at Sandy Hook Elementary on December 14, 2012 in Newton, Connecticut was one that shook the nation and the rest of the world. This is the case in which a 20-year-old man named Adam Lanza committed a massacre at an elementary school. After murdering his mother, Lanza opened fired at the school which resulted in him killing twenty first grade students and six adults and then himself. Although it was evident that Lanza had serious mental issues he had the ability of access to these weapons via his mother’s gun storage.... [tags: Gun politics in the United States, Firearm]
2107 words (6 pages)
- Have you ever thought of questioning the Sandy Hook shooting. Well if you haven’t now is the time to do so. When people think of Sandy Hook, they think what kind of person would go shoot up a school and kill many children. Some individuals believe that it happened and some believe that the government was involved and had planned it all. People shouldn’t feel that way because it’s not a true tragedy. Why should the government make a big scene for nothing, there was not a point in making other schools in America feel threatened.... [tags: conspiracy theories, violence]
877 words (2.5 pages)
- Nothing is more horrible then the atrocities that took place on December 14th 2012 in Sandy Hook Connecticut, when students at the Sandy Hook Elementary school were gunned down by twenty years old Adam Lanza. who suffered from an obsessive compulsive behavior, and had an odd fascination with mass shootings, when he entered the school carrying more than thirty pounds of ammunition and Lanza had three guns, one was a semi-automatic bushmaster rifle, and two pistols, Lanza then killed twenty first- grader students, and six adults, his mother being one of them, all in eleven minuets.... [tags: biased news, shooting, elementary]
937 words (2.7 pages)
- On December 14, 2012 Adam Lanza, a 20 year old with asperger’s syndrome, shot his way into Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut . According to the final report by the states attorney’s office he got in the school at 9:30 AM in the morning and shot the principal and the school’s psychologist that went out to the hallway to check loud bangs they heard. He then moved on to class rooms where innocent children were learning and started shooting and by 9:40 AM, just ten minutes later, he took the lives of twenty six people, including twenty children age twelve and below and six adults, before taking his own life (State Report on Sandy Hook Elementary shooting).... [tags: Shootings, Sandy Hook, Violence, Gun Rights]
1787 words (5.1 pages)