Throughout America's history there have been many famous criminals, John Dillinger, John Gotti, Lucky Luciano, just to name a few. However, due to his extreme wealth and Godfather like status, the most notorious and famous one might have been Al Capone.
Alphonse Capone was born in Brooklyn, New York on January 17, 1899 to immigrants from Naples, Italy. At a very young age, he became involved in organized crime by quitting school after sixth grade and joining a local neighborhood gang. There he met Johnny Torio, who would be his eventual mentor for the crime organization in the city of Chicago. Soon Capone really hit the big time in organized crime when he joined the famous Manhattan Five Points Gang and their leader Frankie Yale, working as a bartender and bouncer. There he received his nickname, "scarface", when he was cut on his left cheek during a conflict while working at the gang's club. Under Yale, it was thought that Capone did his first of many killings. However, like many other gangsters at the time, Capone was never tried for his "alleged" or "ordered" murders do to prominence and the power that these crime families had in the community ("Capone, Al").
At the same time Capone was working for Yale, his boyhood friend Johnny Torrio moved to Chicago to help run the gambling and brothel business there under mob boss "Big Jim" Colosimo. When Colosimo was assassinated, Torrio became the new crime boss and sent for Capone to help him run the busines...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Al Capone Throughout America's history there have been many famous criminals, John Dillinger, John Gotti, Lucky Luciano, just to name a few. However, due to his extreme wealth and Godfather like status, the most notorious and famous one might have been Al Capone. Alphonse Capone was born in Brooklyn, New York on January 17, 1899 to immigrants from Naples, Italy. At a very young age, he became involved in organized crime by quitting school after sixth grade and joining a local neighborhood gang.... [tags: Criminal Crime Convict Al Capone Biography Essays]
680 words (1.9 pages)
- Al Capone was a child from an Italian immigrant family, And was one of the most famous Mafia leader in the world during the Prohibition Era in Chicago. Also he was known as "Scarface," Al capone was sent to Alcatraz Prison in Philadelphia in 1931 from a tax evasion conviction. Al Capone had a personal fortune estimated at $100 million and was responsible for countless murders, His most famous one was the St.Valentine’s Day Massacre. Al Capone was born in Brooklyn, New York, on January 17,1899. He was the fourth of seven sons and two daughters.... [tags: biography, scarface]
1175 words (3.4 pages)
- Al Capone was the son of two poor Italian immigrants, which at that time in history meant you didn't matter, so he had to find guidance with the only people that took an interest in him but unfourtnally for him it was some of the biggest mob leaders in New York. Even with that kind of influence hard to believe that a once soft spoken, intelligent kid from a good family would grow up to run a major city with blood, bullets, and booze. First, Capone's lack of tolerance for authority and people who didn't respect him was obvious from a young age.... [tags: Biography Mafia Capone Scarface]
1690 words (4.8 pages)
- Crime Causation Al Capone The ultimate symbol of a gangster rule is a man the name of Alphonse Capone, nickname Al Capone, who dominates the Chicago underworld crimes: such as illegal gambling, prostitution, and alcohol during prohibition. Capone's life of gang activates at a very young age, created a multi-million dollar empire of crimes in Chicago. He has been referred to as one of the most notorious criminals of all time. (Stockdale 45). He was a smart businessman, good family man, and a generous person, that lived the life full of murders and other crimes.... [tags: Biography]
1872 words (5.3 pages)
- Al Capone Al Capone is America's best-known gangster and the single greatest symbol of the collapse of law and order in the United States during the 1920s Prohibition era. Capone had a leading role in the illegal activities that lent Chicago its reputation as a lawless city. Al Capone's mug shot, 1931. Capone was born on January 17, 1899, in Brooklyn, New York. Baptized "Alphonsus Capone," he grew up in a rough neighborhood and was a member of two "kid gangs," the Brooklyn Rippers and the Forty Thieves Juniors.... [tags: essays research papers]
1866 words (5.3 pages)
- Organized crime was not so organized up until the 1920s. When the 1920s arrived, the American lifestyle changed dramatically. People started investing money in home appliances and automobiles, women’s skirts became higher and drinking became very popular. Also, organized crime came to a rise in the 1920’s. And in the high ranks of organized crime was Al Capone. Al Capone ran many illegal businesses including bootlegging, gambling, prostitution, and murders. There were many gangs in the world of organized crime and Al Capone’s was at the top.... [tags: essays research papers]
1574 words (4.5 pages)
- Alphonse "SCARFACE" Capone Born in New York City, in 1899, by parents Gabriel and Teresa Capone, Alphonse Capone was blessed with a historical blend of ruthless gangster in his blood. Al Capone's parents immigrated to the United States in 1893, from Naples, Italy. Al Capone came from a huge family. He was the fourth oldest of nine children. At birth, Capone's parents never would have believed that their son, Alphonse Capone, would grow up to be a murderous thug without remorse. As a child, Al Capone was very wise when it came to living on the streets of New York.... [tags: Biography]
1489 words (4.3 pages)
- Al Capone is one of the most recognized names in American history. Capone ran the City of Chicago with illegal activities. He appeared many times on newspapers all over the country. Every one of us has heard of Al Capone, but most of us don’t k now the story behind him. What made him to be the most feared gangster in the city of Chicago. How did this kid from a rough neighborhood and no money grow up to have $60,000,000. I’ve always been fascinated with organized crime but had never been taught anything in school about it.... [tags: biography bio biographies crime criminals]
2660 words (7.6 pages)
- The Rise and Fall of Al Capone Alphonse Capone was born in New York City by two parents Gabriel and Teresa Capone. Capone's parents immigrated to the United States in 1893 from Naples, Italy. Capone came from a large family and was the fourth oldest of nine children. (Kobler 10). As a child, Capone was very wise when it came to living on the streets of New York. He had a clever mind when it came to knowing his environment. Capone was not very bright when it came to school. Capone was an illiterate.... [tags: essays research papers]
1499 words (4.3 pages)
- Al Capone Prohibition led to the bootlegging of liquor and the gang wars of the 1920’s. The most notorious gangster of all time, known as Al Capone, was the most powerful mob leader of his era. He dominated organized crime in the Chicago area from 1925 until 1931. Capone grew up during the roaring 20s in Chicago. He joined the James Street gang, lead by Johnny Torrio. In 1920, Torrio asked Capone to move to Chicago and work with his uncle who controlled the city’s largest prostitution and gambling ring at the time.... [tags: History Chicago Gangster Essays Papers]
2659 words (7.6 pages)