People have always told me that friends last forever. I believe that but only to an extent. Best friends tend to just drift apart after time. Everybody eventually has to go their own way.
"I will be back in the middle of August," she said.
I looked into her eyes, and the look that was returned made my stomach churn. Neither of us would say what we both knew would happen. She wouldn't come back.
"I know, we'll hang out together the whole week before I leave for school."
My best friend, Janet, was leaving for Florida to live with her boyfriend/fiancÈ for only the summer (or so she said) on the Naval base in Pensacola. He wanted to get married as soon as they moved in together. She always said that marriage was too big of a commitment right now, but I knew that once she was with him she would think differently. She wasn't strong willed and easily gave into pressure. I assumed that they would get married the week after she arrived.
"We've had some great times, haven't we?" she asked.
We both stood there recalling stupi...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- I wouldn’t trade my friends for the world. Just kidding, I totally would. The world is such an amazing place and there are so many wondrous things in it, including new friends. I mean, how selfish of them for denying me the trade in the first place. While I’m not sure which of my friends would be okay with me trading them for the world, I do know one of my friends who would weigh the pros and cons in his head and be completely okay with it. That friend is at the top of my friend list. Let me start by answering the question I’m sure is on your mind.... [tags: Friendship, Interpersonal relationship, YouTube]
1082 words (3.1 pages)
- An hour doesn’t seem like a lot of time for change, but with rapid variations of emotions combined in a small time frame, the outcome of the event can change your life forever. Kaimyn Anderson was a student at Mullens Middle School, a player on the basketball team, and a brother to everyone he came in contact with. He was the type of person that always found a way to put a smile on his and your faces, no matter the situation. Kaimyn and my brother, Logan, who played on a basketball team together and were best friends, were inseparable.... [tags: English-language films, Mother, Best Friends]
1157 words (3.3 pages)
- “Think twice before you speak, because your words and influence will plant the seed of either success or failure in the mind of another”. This quote by Napoleon Hill signifies that whatever we do or say will have an impact on the people around us. This also shows how fate and free will can tie into influence. Whether it be a higher power deciding your life for you or choices that people make. Fate means being influenced by a higher power to fulfill your fate. Where free will is defined as having a personal choice for your behavior.... [tags: Oedipus the King, Oedipus, Tiresias, Jocasta]
1650 words (4.7 pages)
- Being a minority and trying to cope with the American way is a difficult obstacle to overcome. A minority comes from different cultures and lifestyles, especially the parents which means a young youth who is a minority has a specific lifestyle to live because the parents want their child to live similarly to tradition. However, there are young minorities who are trying to bridge their personal tradition and their own American tradition together to better their life. For instance, in the novel, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie, illustrates a young Native American youth, Junior, struggling with friends pressuring him to follow tradition instead of living a diff... [tags: Native American minorities]
982 words (2.8 pages)
- "All is Not for the Best" 10-K Candide Voltaire's Candide is the story of an innocent man's experiences in a mad and evil world, his struggle to survive in that world, and his need to ultimately come to terms with it. All people experience the turmoil of life and must overcome obstacles, both natural and man-made, in order to eventually achieve happiness. In life, "man must find a medium between what Martin (scholar and companion to Candide) calls the "convulsions of anxiety" and the "lethargy of boredom"" (Richter 137).... [tags: essays research papers fc]
1120 words (3.2 pages)
- Fate in William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet Before starting to decide to what extent fate was responsible for the deaths of Romeo and Juliet, I should first decide what is fate. According to the dictionary, fate is the 'inevitable destiny or necessity destined term of life; doom.' This basically means, that fate can be described as a pre-planned sequence of events influencing ones life. In Romeo and Juliet, it is obviously true to say that fate was a contributor to the deaths of the young couple, but could it have been the sole contributor.... [tags: Free Romeo and Juliet Essays]
1290 words (3.7 pages)
- Fate in William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet Works Cited Missing Whether the tragedy of Romeo and Juliet is mostly based on fate is questionable. According to the oxford dictionary fate is 'the future as determined by such a power' or 'death, destruction'. Many say that the tragedy of Romeo and Juliet was due to the actions of themselves and others.... [tags: Papers]
1438 words (4.1 pages)
- Understanding Fate in Weatherhead’s The Will of God As I continued to chat with my pastor that day, I really sensed the hurt in his eyes – the anger that comes from an unsolvable injustice, the tiredness of a problem. “What’s wrong?” I finally asked, “Having a bad day?” Sensing that I was truly concerned, he let the truth be told. “I talked with a woman today whose baby died suddenly of unknown causes. As we worked through her grief, she talked about how numerous friends and family, even a religious leader had patted her on the back, shook their heads and said, ‘It was God’s will.’ I find few things worse to say to a grieving parent. Saying nothing at all would be of more help.” It... [tags: Will of God]
1378 words (3.9 pages)
- The Role of Fate and Coincidence in William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet Introduction Fate and coincidence is a dominant theme throughout the play Romeo and Juliet. The word fate generally creates confusion when used with the word coincidence. The definition of fate is "Power supposed to predetermine events ahead of time," and coincidence, "Remarkable concurrence of events, apparently by chance." Therefore these two words are similar; however, many people believe that there is no such thing as fate, others think there is no such thing as coincidence though in this essay they are both treated as true.... [tags: Papers]
1180 words (3.4 pages)
- Guidance, Fate, and Loyalty in The Odyssey The Odyssey is an epic poem about a journey. After the Trojan War is won Odysseus leaves Troy for his home in Ithaca. However, the gods decide to test his courage and resolve and send him on a twenty-year odyssey. Odysseus' courage is constantly tested as he struggles with the many obstacles the gods place before him. Although Homer depicted The Odyssey as a self-reliant journey, in reality the gods and other mortals guide Odysseus. It is his loyalty to and his love for his family that keeps him going.... [tags: Homer Odyssey fatody]
1356 words (3.9 pages)
- Student Conduct and Violence in Schools
- The Impact of Restoration Comedy on Theatre
- Perceptions of the 18th Century Novel in Ian Watt’s Book, The Rise of The Novel
- Personal Narrative- Time Spent in Waiting Rooms
- Personal Narrative- Girls Basketball Game Preparation
- Personal Narrative- A Preventable Death