For freshmen, it's about getting away from the cafeteria. For upperclassmen, it's either not knowing how to cook or not having enough time to cook. When it comes to food at Northeastern University -- eating out is king.
However, many students never consider what goes on behind the scenes at one of the local eateries on or near campus. Most probably don't want to know, caring more about the cheap menu than how the food is prepared. The feeling remains that as long as the food is good, then the restaurant too is good. Yet, when someone gets sick from the meal, it then becomes an issue. In and around campus, some restaurants are giving some of their customers more than they bargained for.
According to the Boston Inspections Department's health inspections reports, some of the restaurants around campus such as University House of Pizza and Chicken Lou's have serious health infractions and often times, those restaurants are guilty on numerous occasions.
At mayorsfoodcourt.com, the Inspections Department has reports on thousands of restaurants in metropolitan Boston. They categorize health infractions into three categories: Foodborne Illness Risk Factor Critical Violation, Critical Violation and Non-Critical Violation.
A Foodborne Illness Risk Factor Critical Violation is an infraction that occurs when improper practices or procedures are identified by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as the prevalent contributing factors of foodborne illness or injury. This is the most serious infraction that a restaurant can have. An example of one such violation is the restaurant not advising customers against ordering uncooked, or rare, meat.
... middle of paper ...
...Pizzeria Uno - 280 Huntington Ave. - Inspected September 24, 2003
7 Risk Factor Critical Violations
3 Critical Violations
14 Minor Violations
A Taste of Asia - 267 Huntington Ave. - Inspected July 15, 2003
1 Risk Factor Critical Violation
1 Critical Violation
5 Minor Violations
Vinny T's of Boston - 867 Boylston St. - Inspected January 29, 2003
4 Risk Factor Critical Violations
2 Critical Violations
15 Minor Violations
University House of Pizza - 452 Huntington Ave. - Inspected October 9, 2003
10 Risk Factor Critical Violations
2 Critical Violations
11 Minor Violations
To view the entire inspection reports, visit mayorsfoodcourt.com. To make a complaint about a restaurant, visit the website, call the Division of Health Inspections at 617-635-5326 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday or call the mayor's 24-hour hotline at 617-635-4500.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Challenging Modern American ideas on Obesity: "Eat Fresh" or “Have it your Way" As children my brother and I would be thrilled when our parents would bring home a cheese burger and chicken nugget kids meals with fries from McDonalds. We would gobble down the fast food as we played with whatever colorful toy was placed within the decorated kid’s meal bag. This was a special occasion for my brother and I because the only time our parents would purchase fast food would been when they do not have the time to make the food themselves and they happened to be in town at the time.... [tags: eat fresh, cholesterol, Mcdonald's]
1297 words (3.7 pages)
- Negative and positive effects of video games While I was thinking on what to write for this essay, my boyfriend walked into my room and asked if he could borrow to my laptop to play a game. It turned out that his laptop ran out of battery and he was in an important war with his teammates. I told him that I was doing my homework but he kept begging me to let him borrow it. He said he had spent three months to get to this level and it is really important to him. So I had to let him borrow my laptop even though I didn’t want to.... [tags: video game, additive, children]
1398 words (4 pages)
- The need to feed…Where Had I heard that before. Hmmm, a movie based on a video game I am sure. At this point, I have a need to eat. Hell, even Kujo who has been following me for days now is starting to look good. Mans best friend would make the ultimate sacrifice, dinner in my belly. Who am I kidding though, I would share what I have left on me with the dog if he came close enough. Hunger is hunger no matter the species and food is virtually non-existent. Unless you eat human. Which in no way are we even going there.... [tags: video game, elroy]
1676 words (4.8 pages)
- ... Sometimes they may even have to fight for their life. Human actions are a major factor in determining whether someone survives or not. The survival traits one possess contribute to what actions one will take to survive. Survival traits such as never giving up and planning, from Deep Survival, are helpful traits to have (Gonzales 98, 96). One's choice not to give up will be reflected in their actions. In the Hunger Games, Katniss's strong survival traits from Deep Survival are "Stay Calm" and "Do Whatever is Necessary" (Gonzales 96, 98).... [tags: struggle, acceptance, fate, chance, ]
669 words (1.9 pages)
- Introduction India has made lot of progress in agriculture & food sectors since independence in terms of growth in output, yields and processing. It has gone through a green revolution, a white revolution, a yellow revolution and a blue revolution. Today, India is the largest producer of milk, fruits, cashew nuts, coconuts and tea in the world, the second largest producer of wheat, vegetables, sugar and fish and the third largest producer of tobacco and rice. Therefore, Indian Government is providing more infrastructures for this sector.... [tags: indian lifestyle, ready-to-eat food]
1859 words (5.3 pages)
- Game design, my whole life I have dreamed of doing this, being in the field of professional video game designing. Started off when I was a child, first favorites were Mario, sonic, streets of rage, and of course mega man. My past was so magnificent and I wouldn’t dare to change a thing about it, however, not that I have most of the necessary skills I plan on at long last creating my own games, making my dreams come to life. To get to this master plan I did some research and learning an unspeakable amount of knowledge attending ITT Technical institute.... [tags: technology, video game]
869 words (2.5 pages)
- Have people ever wondered what it would be like to find out they have a long lost twin sister. In this novel, The Lying Game by Sara Shepard, Emma is thrust into a world where she is not just a lonely orphan living in a foster home, but a twin to a girl she has never met before. Emma and Sutton live in a very different world from each other. Sara Shepard published The Lying Game in 2010, with the help of Alloy Entertainment. The Lying Game is a novel for young adults ages 14 and up with a sense of mystery, thrill, and drama.... [tags: twins, lying game, alloy entertainment]
1271 words (3.6 pages)
- The Value of Life in The Most Dangerous Game He is hunched down in the bushes, a .22-caliber pistol in his hand. His blood-red lips split open in a smile as he watches his prey writhing, blood spouting from the wound, dry green leaves becoming wet crimson. Then, with a terrible pleasure, he places the gun against the skull of his prey and fires one last round. The hunter, brimming with sadism, drags his kill behind him, leaving a trail of blood behind on the ground. Human blood. This premise of man hunting man is one set up by Richard Connell’s short story The Most Dangerous Game.... [tags: Most Dangerous Game Essays]
1317 words (3.8 pages)
- Rivalry in Video Game Industry Introduction The video games industry faces an entirely new rivalry situation. After 11 years of leadership, Sony has nearly lost its strong positions on the market, which gives the other two players – Microsoft and Nintendo - the chance to compete for the leadership. While the goal of Nintendo is to stay in the industry, Sony and Microsoft aim to strengthen their positions on the home entertainment market, which is constantly growing. The key factors, the companies need to consider in order to gain a competitive advantage, are good marketing and well developed distribution, as well as providing a huge range of games with recognizable characters.... [tags: Video Game Gaming]
1662 words (4.7 pages)
- The Game They tried to hide the huge needle, of course. He laid with his face planted hard into the sheets. His father and a nurse held him down by his shoulders and legs. The needle was pushed in just above his hip. He took it better than most boys his age. He clenched as it made its way through his skin. It stopped when it met his hipbone. The doctor had to ratchet it now, hard, to penetrate the bone. He clenched harder. The doctor now rocked the needle around in every direction now, to break of the thread of marrow that was drawn.... [tags: Creative Writing Essays]
6445 words (18.4 pages)