“Say it now and say it loud: I'm anorexic and I'm proud.”
This is a rallying cry that some women suffering from anorexia, otherwise known as “pro-anas,” post to one another over the Internet. Pro-Ana, meaning pro-anorexia, is an Internet community of anorexics who have no desire to recover; rather they want to live their lives being “the best anorexic they can be.” Pro-ana websites are rapidly evolving to promote eating disorders as a lifestyle rather than a life threatening disease.
According to the National Eating Disorder Association (NEDA), about 10 million American females suffer from anorexia each year. Up to 10 percent of these females will die from the disease and only 60 percent will recover.
Anorexia is a disorder where a person deprives their body of food to abstain the fear of becoming fat, leading to excessive and unhealthy weight loss. Anorexia not only produces weight loss but many internal problems such as hair loss, fatigue, weakness osteoporosis, amenorrhea (the loss of menstrual periods) and can even cause heart attacks.
“People are too obsessed with weight,” said Northeastern graduate, Michelle Graffeo, 22, of Boca Raton, Fla. “The people who are going on a diet are getting younger and younger.”
Female college students make up the most common age group of anorexics. Living away at college gives young women the freedom to make their own choices, even ones that are life-threatening. The first year of college is difficult for many students and it is hard for some to adjust to the new changes in their lives. For some girls, anorexia is the answer and if they already have anorexia, it becomes for severe when they get to college. They are occupi...
... middle of paper ...
...ter's administrative assistant, Charity S., 29 of Seattle. “We provide one on one counseling and let the patients recover at their own pace. We provide the emotional, physical, nutritional and spiritual needs that these patients require.”
Although pro-ana websites have been banned from Yahoo, the majority of the sites have gone underground, switching around their web addresses and going under different names, making the elimination of these pro-ana sites unsuccessful.
“Although they are often used to try and keep sufferers ill, the sites in themselves seem unlikely to draw anyone onto the illness alone,” Paterson said. “Someone with a healthy body image or well defined self esteem will not be attracted by the imagery on these sites, just horrified. But it's a good thing that the sites have gone underground. It makes them that much harder for people to find.”
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Young teenage girls are tempted towards deadly lifestyles due to the Internet’s wide array of pro-anorexic websites; these sites provide images and advice for those desiring to get thin quickly, resulting in healthy young girls developing life-threatening eating disorders. Pro-ana websites wage war on the developing minds of young girls. These dangerous resources support young girls in their quest for weight loss, though it is not in a positive way. Photos and forums located on these websites suggest unhealthy methods in which to achieve thinness.... [tags: anorexia instigating online]
938 words (2.7 pages)
- Eating disorders are psychological disorders characterized by abnormal or disturbed eating habit (Nilsson 1).They are self-destructing disorders that either cause excessive eating or limitations on eating, seeing as the disorder is not one that is most pleasant, one would find it hard to imagine that there is a whole online community that promotes the disorder to millions of others with little to no restrictions. This community is known as ‘pro-ana’ or ‘pro-anorexia’. For years ‘pro-ana’ blogs have floated around the inter webs without rules and regulations.... [tags: anorexia online, eating disorders]
1290 words (3.7 pages)
- My Essay Ajax developers like other web application don’t set enough security for the website so it’s easy to comprise. Developers like Ajax must fill many holes before they release their website to the public. Ajax requires a lot of client-side scripting coding, but many people just develop the site and upload before they fixed the security. Web 1.0 sites aren't interactive they are sites that visitors will look at one time only. They don’t come back due to the site is a proprietary.... [tags: websites, company, software]
844 words (2.4 pages)
- With the recent shift to web based communication, everything, including shopping, has gone online. With online shopping, consumers experience being in the comfort of their own home and they do not have to face bustling crowds. On the contrary, though, online shops allow for customer reviews on their items. The problem that these online stores are facing is that fake users are commenting on items to either boost or lower the ratings. Seventy percent of people trust online reviews (Fake Online Reviews).... [tags: fake reviews on online websites]
851 words (2.4 pages)
- Pro-Anorexia Websites Cyberspace, something that was once considered a fad, has developed into a tool that allows people struggling with anorexia to potentially find a sanctuary from the regulatory systems in popular culture that are applied to women’s bodies. Cyberspace provides an alternative space for women with eating disorders or body issues. The space created by cyberspace is potentially safer for women to meet because it allows anonymity while simultaneously being part of a community that the built environment is unable to provide.... [tags: Eating Disorders Pro-ana Internet]
1671 words (4.8 pages)
- The Two Best Websites to Find a Used Car Have you ever been disappointed while searching a used car online. For example, never finding the car that you are interested in, hard to obtain the contact information about the seller, not getting satisfactory information relating to the car that you have found, that leads to total disappointments. After performing some researches for a week and based on my personal experienced, I found out two best websites to find a used car. They are http://www.cars.com/ and http://www.autotrader.com/.... [tags: Sell Websites Buy Websites]
1617 words (4.6 pages)
- Quit Your Job - Buy and Sell Websites for a Living. Reprinted with permission of VotanWeb.com The stock market and real estate industry have long been populated by day traders and “flippers”, those that buy and sell in a short period of time in order to make a quick profit. In the real estate industry the life of a house flipper can be very appealing. Buy a renovator’s dream property at a discounted price, renovate and modernize it and then sell it at a few months later at a profit. This process can then be repeated over and over.... [tags: Sell Websites Buy Websites]
2454 words (7 pages)
- Points to Consider When You Buy or Sell Websites Reprinted with permission of VotanWeb.com I've worked with many website sellers and many more potential website buyers over the years. I strongly believe that the best way for an entrepreneur to successfully get into an online business, or expand what they already have, is to buy an existing profitable website. To help those who are considering buying or selling a website, I offer the following overview of what I think are the most important issues when buying or selling a website.... [tags: Sell Websites Buy Websites]
1566 words (4.5 pages)
- A Student's Reaction to Used Car Websites Getting a used car instead of a new car is becoming a trend in America today. People do not want to spend money for new cars cause of the fact that cars’ values diminish significantly. This is exactly what my friend thought when he bought his used Acura CL 2.3 Coupe 2D for 13,500 dollars last years from a local dealer. Now the question is whether the price he paid really makes sense considering the current options and conditions of the car. Unfortunately, my friend didn’t even do any research before he bought this car.... [tags: Sell Websites Buy Web Sites]
1521 words (4.3 pages)
- So Far from God by Ana Castillo This novel is a story of a Chicano family. Sofi, her husband Domingo together with their four daughters – Esperanza, Fe, Caridad, and Loca live in the little town of Tome, New Mexico. The story focuses on the struggles of Sofi, the death of her daughters and the problems of their town. Sofi endures all the hardships and problems that come her way. Her marriage is deteriorating; her daughters are dying one by one. But, she endures it all and comes out stronger and more enlightened than ever.... [tags: Far From God Ana Castillo]
1087 words (3.1 pages)