Automobile accidents happen all around us. We see cars in the middle of the road after just rear ending each other. We see cars driving around town with big dents in them. Do you ever stop to wonder how car accidents happen? Physics; that’s how they happen. There are several aspects of physics that apply to automobile accidents.
An aspect of physics that is applicable to automobile accidents is kinetic energy. Kinetic energy can be defined as the energy of motion. The equation for kinetic energy is:
Kinetic energy behaves a bit differently depending on the type of collision: elastic or inelastic.
In an elastic collision, kinetic energy is always conserved. Nearly all of the kinetic energy is transferred from the first object to the second. Thus, when two cars collide, all the kinetic energy would be conserved; no energy would be lost. The objects in an elastic collision “bounce” apart when they collide. The only time that an elastic collision occurs in an automobile accident is when the vehicles collide at a slow sp...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The scientific term of ‘motion’ is been one of the strangest phenomenon known in the history of physics. Since the end of the 17th century, the vast improvements in the technology and society have evolved the meaning of the word motion in terms of physics from ‘a simple movement’ to ‘a change in position, if acted upon by an unbalanced force’. In modern physics, motion is the change in position of an object with respect to its time and its reference point. Motion can be described as both scalar and vector quantity in relation to displacement, speed, direction, velocity, acceleration and time.... [tags: Position, Inertia, Seat Belts]
1591 words (4.5 pages)
- Cell phone is an amazing invention of physics. In the current context, it is the most widely used means of communication around the world. In addition to making phone calls, majority of people use their cell phones for several other purposes such as sending and receiving text messages, playing games, and watching movies. People check their phones very often for text messages, social networking updates, and phone calls. Most importantly, people use cell phones while driving. The use of cell phone while driving should be banned since it distracts driver, instigates impaired control of the motor vehicle, and elicits unsafe speeding which lead to fatal traffic accidents and loss of life.... [tags: motor vehicle, distraction, accidents]
728 words (2.1 pages)
- Every person who has gets behind the wheel of a motor vehicle will be involved in some sort of automobile collision at some point in his or her lifetime. Traffic accidents account for over twenty thousand deaths each year and more than ten times as many injuries. There are a number of factors that contribute to these types of collisions, however, new and evolving laws can account for a large portion of successful preventable measures. In order for laws to be changed or added for the purpose of safer roads and highways, lawmakers have to first look at what factors contribute to such unsafe conditions.... [tags: Tram accident, Traffic collision, Automobile]
876 words (2.5 pages)
- It is the year 2015. Technology immerses us into a pit of pleasure, ease and luxury. We are enlightened by fancy Smartphones, fast computers, and simple online shopping. At this point, the human race is striving to create or destroy anything that is willing to harm us. We are at war against ourselves and we are not taking enough action against the fatal occurrences that happen everyday. We collect data to show the safeties and dangers of activities that we participate in every day, but we continue to emerge ourselves deeper and deeper into the statistic that automobile accidents are.... [tags: Driving, Driver's license, Automobile]
1713 words (4.9 pages)
- Auto Repair Shops Lewisville, TX The mechanics of Fifth Gear Automotive auto repair shops Lewisville, TX want driving your vehicle to be a safe experience. Read on to learn how to improve your vehicle safety. Automobile accidents are a risk associated with driving. The leading cause of accidents is impaired drivers due to texting, alcohol, and drug use of both legal and illegal kind. Driver error is an additional cause of crashes. Driver error can be numerous things, including distraction, fatigue and falling asleep at the wheel, inexperience, reckless driving, eating while driving, and others.... [tags: Automobile, Tire, Wheel, Tires]
721 words (2.1 pages)
- According to the Association for Safe International Road Travel, nearly 1.3 million people die annually due to car crashes, and an additional twenty to fifty million people are injured in these horrendous accidents. Automobile wrecks extend beyond that of those involved; it reaches to family members and individuals who took time out of their lives to be involved in that of the victims. Main causes of the irreversible accidents in the United States are driving while under the influence, speeding along the highways, and careless, unsafe driving behind the wheel.... [tags: Tram accident, Traffic collision, Road accidents]
1050 words (3 pages)
- What to do if in an Auto Accident. With so many vehicles on the roads today, automobile accidents have become an everyday occurrence. If you have been involved in a collision, it’s understandable that you’ll be upset and nervous after an accident, but it is important to remain as calm as possible and to record as many details as you can. Here is a list of some things that will need to be done both before you leave the accident scene and shortly afterwards. 1. If you are able to get out of your car, check on the other driver and any passengers to see if anyone needs medical attention.... [tags: Tram accident, Automobile]
704 words (2 pages)
- Distracted Driving Distracted driving: the practice of driving a motor vehicle while engaged in another activity. Anything besides focusing on the road can be considered distracted driving. Most people would think that the only real distraction while driving is the use of a cell phone, however, that is entirely untrue. There are people that give the term, distracted driving, a whole new meaning. People do everything from fixing their makeup to shaving while driving in their cars. Distracted driving is one of the leading causes of car crashes in the United States.... [tags: Tram accident, Automobile, Traffic collision]
1350 words (3.9 pages)
- Every year, 25% of all automobile accidents are caused by operating a cell phone while driving (Ricks, Newsday). It is six times more dangerous than driving while intoxicated (Ricks, Newsday). People do not realize that the decision to text and drive affects not only the driver, but also endangers everyone around them. When a person decides to pick up their cell phone, they are no longer able to pay full attention to anything going on around them which gives them a slower reaction time.... [tags: teenagers, texting, death]
961 words (2.7 pages)
- INTRODUCTION Physics attempts to describe the fundamental nature of the universe and how it works, always striving for the simplest explanations common to the most diverse behaviour. For example, physics explains why rainbows have colours, what keeps a satellite in orbit, and what atoms and nuclei are made of. The goal of physics is to explain as many things as possible using as few laws as possible, revealing nature's underlying simplicity and beauty. Physics has been applied in many industrial fields, which include the air industry, construction industry, automobile industry, manufacturing industry and many others.... [tags: Physics]
1954 words (5.6 pages)