Advice is something that is very important in my life and in the life of most others. It allows us to ask another person their feelings and experiences about certain situations they have encountered in his/hers lifetime and then attempt use that information to help yourself.
Good advice however is hard to come by. My dad has many stories that begin with, “Well when I was your age…” This is an example of bad advice. It is hard to relate what he experienced to my life, because of the generations of difference.
Good advice to me is something that I ask for, and in my past, has come from people who know me extremely well. I agree with most in that good advice can come from anyone, but the best has come from my friends. They know my feelings in general and how I have reacted to certain situations in my past. In general, advice also needs to come from someone I trust and respect. I also tend to listen more closely and see how I can adapt it to my life if the advice has come from someone who is close to me, especially if it is someone who I believe t...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- A prolific writer, famously known as Flannery O’Connor in 1953, wrote the short narrative titled “A Good Man is Hard to Find” (Scott 2). However, it was published two years later in 1955, in her second collection of short stories. This particular collection presented the author as a key voice in the ancient American literature world until she met her sudden death in 1964 when she was only 39. The collection also won her tremendous fame, especially concerning her unmatchable creativity and mastery of short narratives (Seel 211).... [tags: christianity, catholicism, good man]
1211 words (3.5 pages)
- Flannery O’Connor’s “A Good Man Is Hard to Find”, is an intriguing story filled with the use of many instances of symbolism ranging from landmarks to a character’s actions which can be seen as having a symbolic value. O’Connor includes a multitude of symbols which are subtle but important enough to provide inferences to the meaning of the story and even her own personal beliefs. She provides the reader with a sense of the character’s personalities throughout the story through the use of the dialogue and the actions of the characters.... [tags: A Good Man is Hard to Find]
1029 words (2.9 pages)
- Generation Gaps in Flannery's A Good Man is Hard to Find The use of symbolism that emphasizes a major gap between the two generations, as well as religion, theme, and imagery along with an intriguing story plot make Flannery's A Good Man is hard to Find one of America's classic short stories. Imagery is widely used in O'Connor's story, which makes the characters and surroundings seem lifelike. In the depiction of the grandmother the reader can visual see the woman sitting in the car waiting on the others to arrive.... [tags: Papers]
578 words (1.7 pages)
- Defining Good Advice Many times, good advice will happen if a person has gone astray, then, suggestions would be made to the lost and he could either take it or leave it. Also, as Doug mentioned in discussion, is that "it may be impossible to deny information given to you." So, in this case, the advisee knows what has been said to them, and "he may not take the advice at the time", but store it for later.(Nate Hall), and because of this, good, or bad advice, in my opinion, is also in the eye of the beholder.... [tags: Definition Essays]
495 words (1.4 pages)
- The commencement ceremony encourages each student’s search for knowledge. It often includes a speech which seeks to put their recent hard work into the context of their future. Oprah Winfrey’s Harvard commencement speech and Bill Gates’s Harvard commencement speech both give Harvard graduates important advice for the future. While there are differences between Oprah Winfrey and Bill Gate’s commencement speeches at Harvard, they both agree that students should find a purposeful cause in their lives and find the solution.... [tags: College, Advice]
690 words (2 pages)
- One of the most memorable lines from “A Good Man Is Hard To Find” comes from the Misfit when he says, “She would have been a good woman if it had been someone there to shoot her for every minute of her life (O’Connor 309).” Flannery O’Connor’s depiction of Christian faith can be seen in almost all of her works. Inevitably, the plots in all of O’Connor’s stories end with a shocking conclusion, and this leaves the reader with freedom to interpret the central idea. From the endless list of themes that O’Connor embeds into her stories, “A Good Man Is Hard To Find” is largely influenced by divine grace, hypocrisy, bitter reality, and white supremacy.... [tags: A Good Man Is Hard To Find Essays]
2773 words (7.9 pages)
- In the novel, The Good Earth, written by Pearl S. Buck, Wang Lung proves himself to be a successful person. Wang Lung starts out as a poor peasant, but overcomes starvation, droughts, and bandit tribes to prosper and become wealthy enough to live in the former great House of Hwang. Wang Lung achieved fame from everyone around him. At the beginning of the novel, Wang Lung wasn't well-known. Everyone thought of him as a poor, naive farmer. By the time Wang Lung achieved his goal of becoming wealthy and owning an abundance of land, everyone knew who he was.... [tags: Good Earth Pearl Buck]
967 words (2.8 pages)
- in "A Good Man Is Hard to Find" Flannery O' Connor uses symbolism to give more meaning to her short story. O'Connor writes a story of a Grandmother versus a Misfit, or good versus evil. This short story is about a family going to Florida, who takes a turn down a dirt road, which only causes them to get in an accident, and be found by the Misfit. This encounter prevented them from ever arriving Florida, because the Misfit ends their lives. Using symbolism, O'Connor creates a story with much meaning to the Grandmother, nature, sky, woods, their surroundings, roads, and cars to portray the constant battle between good and evil.... [tags: A Good Man Is Hard to Find]
1953 words (5.6 pages)
- How Do You Define "Advice" Advice, in my mind, is a form of one person helping another person out; whether it is in words or actions. About 90% of the time, I believe advice comes in the form of words. Advice can be verbally spoken to somebody, or typed/written and given to somebody. In either example, it's advice that's being given to help somebody out. The other way I mentioned was advice given by actions. In my own life, I'm trying to quit smoking cigarettes and finding it hard; especially when I look around and see others doing it.... [tags: Defintion Essays]
679 words (1.9 pages)
- I think that Flannery O’Connor’s short story “A Good Man is Hard to Find” is written partially in order to “convert” people who have not yet fully accepted the Christian faith. O’Conner, herself being a strong believer in Christianity, probably thought that writing this story will help make people who aren’t really living by the Christian rules to seriously consider doing so. Flannery O'Connor was deeply concerned with the values and the direction of the youth at the time. She believed that Christ was no longer enough of a priority to the people of her generation.... [tags: A Good Man is Hard to Find]
569 words (1.6 pages)