Oprah has become a name in the entertainment industry that stands on its own much like Madonna or even Cher. For the uninformed who think Oprah is just another gabby talk show host, guess again. Anyone who has ever watched "The Oprah Winfrey Show" knows that it stands in a rank all of its own. There is something very different about this black talk show host- she is real. Oprah's key personality factor is her "vulnerability". She is not afraid to expose her own doubts, emotions, problems, failures, and even fears to her millions of viewers. "The reason I communicate with all these people," she told 60 Minutes' Mike Wallace, "is because I think I'm every woman and I've had every malady and I've been on every diet, and I've had- oh, men who have done me wrong, honey. So I relate to all of that. And I'm not afraid or ashamed to say it" (King 169).
Oprah Winfrey has indeed been down a long and rocky road. She has overcome one adversity after another to become the world's highest-paid entertainer, worth almost a half a billion dollars, and with a daily audience of almost 20 million, one of the world's most powerful. Last year Oprah decided she wanted to "get this country reading again," so she turned her talk show into an on-the-air book club once a month. Not only has everyone of her selected novels become a national bestseller, but she has been cited by the American Library Association for "single-handedly expanding the size of the reading public".
In terms of Gardner's model of multiple intelligence, Oprah shines in the verbal/linguistic, intrapersonal, and interpersonal areas. This creative genius seems to fit extraordinarily well into Howard Gardner's model of creativity. In fact, Oprah fits almost ideally i...
... middle of paper ...
For more information and pictures on Oprah check out her site in the Gallery of Achievement at: http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/pagegen/mainmenu.html
Angelou, Maya. "Woman of the Year: Oprah" January 1989: 88-89.
Barthel, Joan. "Here Comes Oprah!" Ms. August 1986: 46-50
Ebert, Alan. "Oprah Winfrey Talks Openly About Oprah" Good Housekeeping1 September 1991: 62-66
Gallery of Achievement, Personal interview at http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/page/win0pro-1 February 21, 1991, Chicago, Illinois.
Gardner, Howard. Creating Minds. New York: Basic Books, 1993.
Johnson, Marilyn. "Oprah Winfrey: A Life in Books." Life September, 1997: 44-60.
King, Norman. Everybody Loves Oprah. New York: William Morrow and Company, 1987.
Moore, Trudy S. "How 'The Oprah Winfrey Show' helps people live better lives" Jet 18 April 1994: 56-60.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- This is a Jeep Super Bowl commercial from 2013 featuring Oprah Winfrey as the narrator. We are in times of undeclared war and we miss our troops and want them to come back and Oprah is basically telling them that they aren’t forgotten. It shows the families of troops being home missing someone and showing the hole the troop has left since their departure. It is a battle the families fight as they miss their soldier while they are out fighting the other half of the battle. When the troops return to their families they fill that hole again and our nation is reunited.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey, Talk show, The Oprah Winfrey Show]
808 words (2.3 pages)
- Oprah Winfrey is an African American woman who is known as a U.S. media celebrity. She has done so much to contribute to society as we know it and her legacy will forever live on. Mrs. Winfrey is well known and she uses her platform for positivity and love, which is a huge reason for her success. She is an intelligent leader who worked hard for the spot she has in life and strives to encourage others to be successful also. Mrs. Winfrey has written books, acted and produced films, hosted an infamous television show, and given to charities.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey, Talk show, The Oprah Winfrey Show]
2675 words (7.6 pages)
- Oprah Winfrey was January 29, 1954. She spent the beginning of her childhood on her Grandmother 's farm in Kosciusko, Mississippi because her mom was looking for work in the north. Her grandmother taught her how to read it as an infant. By the age of three she was reciting poems and the Bible at her grandmother 's church. When she was six she had to move to Milwaukee to stay with her mother. Her mother was a housemaid and was always absent from the home. While Oprah was at home alone, she was abused and molested by her male relatives and other male friends of her relatives.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey, The Oprah Winfrey Show, Talk show]
1212 words (3.5 pages)
- People like Oprah Winfrey, Dwight Howard, and Rosa Parks have had a huge impact on civilization. Throughout their lives they have done things that have changed thousands of other lives. Opening foundations, donating large amounts of money, and standing strong with what you believe is right effects people in different ways than you know. Kind actions and warm hearts is what makes this world a better place. Exercising opportunities to do so makes you a great leader and role model. Oprah Winfrey, Dwight Howard, and Rosa Parks are all great worldwide leaders.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey]
719 words (2.1 pages)
- Oprah Winfrey is an inspiration to many all around the world. She did not have a very good home life up until the age of 14. She was abused as a child and did not see her mother very often because she was a housemaid who was gone almost every day all day. Vernon Winfrey, Oprah’s father, was a big service in her life when it came to keeping her in a nonviolent manner. Oprah also had her career going for her when she became Miss Black Tennessee at age 17. When Oprah became Miss Black Tennessee she was offered a radio broadcasting job and a full scholarship to Tennessee.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey]
1009 words (2.9 pages)
- Oprah Winfrey was born on January 29, 1954. Her home has been at Santa Barbra, California. She lives there with her partner, Stedman Graham. Oprah is a renowned talk show host, actress, American media proprietor, producer and philanthropist. The Oprah Winfrey show, multi-award winning talk show is what this great philanthropist is best known for. This show was the highest ranked show of its kind, being syndicated nationally in the period 1986-2011 (Winfrey 3). She is currently the CEO and owner of Oprah Winfrey Network.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey Essays]
1210 words (3.5 pages)
- The purpose of this analytic approach toward the Oprah Winfrey and Lance Armstrong interview is to identify the characteristics of interviews. While observing the interview I will be applying the concepts of the fundamental characteristics of interviews, traditional and nontraditional forms of interviewing, relational dimensions to interviewing, perceptions of interviewer and interviewee, communication interaction, listening for feedback and the interview situation. To gather information I looked at the interview online and a transcript provided by Armchair Spectator.... [tags: Interview, Question, Oprah Winfrey]
1551 words (4.4 pages)
- Ethical Role Model Essay My role model is a woman who may need no introduction to many, particularly those who follow media personalities. Oprah Gail Winfrey is my hero and ultimate role model, who personifies how every human being should be like, irrespective of how challenging the prevailing circumstances may be. Indeed, she is perhaps the richest African American woman today, the only female billionaire, the greatest philanthropist who is black and the black billionaire in North America today.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey, The Oprah Winfrey Show, Talk show]
1381 words (3.9 pages)
- 1. One person that is known for their authentic leadership is Oprah Winfrey. She is a well-known talk show host, film and television actress, philanthropist, and television producer (Biography.com Editors, 2016). Her talk show, The Oprah Winfrey Show, was seen nationally and internationally and has opened many doors for her in the business and financial world. In the twentieth century, Oprah was consistently the only African American billionaire for three years. Through her charitable network, she has raised over $51,000,000 for education and disaster relief efforts.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey, Talk show, Barack Obama]
878 words (2.5 pages)
- Oprah Winfrey's public speaking career began with reciting verses in church at the age of three. Today, at the age of 51, she is America's most popular talk show host, owns a popular magazine and cable TV channel, received an Academy Award nomination, and is ranked by Forbes magazine as the ninth most powerful woman in the world. Her path in life, that led from a broken home and abused childhood to becoming the first African-American woman billionaire, is a story of unrelenting determination mixed with a true caring for people.... [tags: Biography Oprah]
1669 words (4.8 pages)