There have been many sports movies made over the years. Some have been good, while others have been flops. Many sports movies have not been considered overall good movies simply because they were sports movies. I feel that one of the best and most overlooked sports movies of all time is the movie Gladiator. Gladiator is not only a good sports movie, but it is an all around good movie.
Before we can call an all around movie a "good" movie, we must first define what a good movie is. A good movie can be defined as a movie that has many exceptional movie elements. The following are some major movie elements: plot, drama, special effects, theme, and character acting.
For my review of the movie Gladiator, I will first explain what each one of the major movie elements needs to consist of to be considered good. I will then briefly describe the plot of the movie Gladiator. After that, I will compare the movie elements in Gladiator to the movie elements of a good movie. By doing this, I will explain how Gladiator is an all around good movie.
Before a movie can be considered good, it must have a good plot. A good plot is a plot that tells a definite story and doesn’t focus on unimportant details. It moves from point to point and is never dull. A good plot also keeps the audience in suspense and has them wondering what will happen next. The most important part of a good plot is that it must give the audience something unexpected when it plays itself out. It should be surprising and the audience should not be able guess what will happen next.
Drama is not a necessity of all movies, but it is a necessity of a good sports movie. A good sports movie should be full of drama. The audience should find themselves turning th...
... middle of paper ...
...stic. James Marshall (Tommy) and Cuba Gooding Jr. (Lincoln) deliver Oscar worthy performances. Their acting is especially superb in their dramatic boxing match against each other. The way that Marshall and Gooding make you feel like you are actually in the arena through their actions is phenomenal. Marshall and Gooding both have the body structure and physical ability of great boxers. The casting for the movie is pure genius. The actors fit perfectly into their roles and perform like they were born to play them.
It is my opinion that Gladiator is a movie of high value. It compares quite well to the major elements of a good movie in a lot of areas. A major reason that Gladiator is so fantastic is because although it has multiple themes, it is still very easy to follow and understand. It is an excellent sports movie, and perhaps one of the best movies of all time.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The concept of gladiators was a very prevalent occurrence in Ancient Rome, and it constitutes as a significant milestone in the shaping of history. With this in mind it is important for this piece of history to be presented accurately. In general, the gladiator is portrayed correctly, however sometimes scholars miss important details. The history of the Roman Gladiator is crucial to the legacy of Ancient Rome and its accurate representation is just as vital. The people of Rome were known for many things; one was their love of games.... [tags: Ancient Rome, Roman Gladiator]
1742 words (5 pages)
- According to Merriam-Webster, the definition of entertainment is “amusement or pleasure that comes from watching a performer, playing a game, etc”. There are numerous forms of entertainment in our world today. What may be entertaining for one person may not be entertaining to the next person. Rome is known for many things and has been gone for thousands of years. This paper will cover the different aspects of ancient Roman entertainment and identify if there is any correlation to todays entertainment after all these years.... [tags: wild animal hunts, gladiator combats]
1498 words (4.3 pages)
- A Slave, gladiator, leader, friend and a husband; Spartacus was all of these as portrayed in Howard Fast’s Spartacus. Spartacus is a man who was born into slavery, and through slavery he persevered through countless grueling hardships. Born a slave he only had but one thing to call his own, his life. Through his trials he realizes how much he truly cherishes his single possession. Spartacus eventually is sold to a Lanista by the name of Lintulus Batiatus, whom introduces him to something much more powerful than the will to live; love.... [tags: Roman Empire, Roman Republic, Slavery, Gladiator]
796 words (2.3 pages)
- Gladiator There have been many sports movies made over the years. Some have been good, while others have been flops. Many sports movies have not been considered overall good movies simply because they were sports movies. I feel that one of the best and most overlooked sports movies of all time is the movie Gladiator. Gladiator is not only a good sports movie, but it is an all around good movie. Before we can call an all around movie a "good" movie, we must first define what a good movie is. A good movie can be defined as a movie that has many exceptional movie elements.... [tags: Film Movie Gladiator Sports Essays]
1457 words (4.2 pages)
- The life of a gladiator could be a grueling life unless you were the best and never lost. Gladiators fought in events known as gladiatorial games. The first gladiatorial games were recorded in 310 BCE. The first Gladiatorial games were not held in the huge coliseums we see today. Instead they were most likely held to entertain a powerful person or ruler. Gladiatorial combat originated as a religious event to honor the dead, victory of an important battle, a sacrifice to the gods, or to honor the death of someone in a high standing position.... [tags: romans, gladiatorial games, fights]
1998 words (5.7 pages)
- The movie, “Gladiator” is based on the life of a war hero in the Roman era. Maximus was the main character in the movie who led the northern army against the Germanic tribes near Vindobona. Maximus had to make major decisions throughout the storyline to survive and become as great as he was. He went from a war hero, to an enslaved gladiator who had to constantly fight for freedom to regain his respect. He wanted to become free again, so he put his heart into his actions. These concepts that we have learned through our organizational behavior course has shown throughout the characters.... [tags: Motivation, Leadership, Marcus Aurelius]
1713 words (4.9 pages)
- The Gladiator is a tragedy, drama, action, adventure, and love story. It develops on many themes including; vengeance, honor, loyalty, deceit, power, and perseverance. The film maker’s main thematic purpose however is a constant throughout the entire movie holding the plot line together to revolve around this one objective. The author uses various techniques of characterization such as; indirect character development, caricatures to advance the progression of dynamic characters, and including tragic occurrences that immediately alter the character’s state of mind to develop on the main thematic purpose of the necessity of achieving one’s goal at all costs.... [tags: Film Review]
1027 words (2.9 pages)
- A Review of Gladiator Hail Caesar, and the return of the Roman Empire. From "Quo Vadis" to "Spartacus", Hollywood has enjoyed a long and fore filling relationship with the sword-and-sandals epics and Ridley Scott (Alien & Blade Runner), has released a monumental spectacle; managing to make this forgotten genre bigger, better and more bloody than ever before. Ridley Scott shines as a director through "Gladiator." Not only has he managed to create the multiple plots to this complex epic, but has also used techniques that leave the audience breathless.... [tags: Papers]
667 words (1.9 pages)
- Gladiator Directed by Ridley Scott, Gladiator is an epic tale of honor, love, loyalty and power. If you could only see two movies a year make Gladiator one of them. It is full of action, adventure, drama, deceit and love. Russell Crowe plays the Roman General, Maximus, who heads the Roman Army in their conquers of Europe and Africa under the emperor Marcus Aurelius. Maximus has served Rome for “ two years, 264 days and this morning,” and is anxiously awaiting his release by the emperor so that he may go home and be with his dearly missed wife and son.... [tags: essays papers]
444 words (1.3 pages)
- Gladiator Ridley Scott is an expert at fabricating highly visual motion pictures with energetic, radiant stories. "Blade Runner" and "Alien" dazzled the viewers with high tech action and suspense. Now the roman epic "Gladiator" vividly captures the time period and atmosphere in which its characters inhabit. With a star line up of actors (including Joaquin Phoenix - 'Clay Pigeons', 'To Die For', Connie Nielsen - 'Devil's Advocate', 'Mission to Mars') playing the smaller parts of the film, it was destined to be in the category for all time great film.... [tags: Papers]
772 words (2.2 pages)