Abstinence is not a word you hear very often, especially in my generation. However, it is a term used, taught and practiced in the Christian church. This does not mean if you are a Christian or belong to a Christian church you automatically follow the teaching of abstinence. It is still a decision one would have to make. Many Christian influences contribute to making and keeping this decision; however, the greatest one to me was the song “Wait for Me” by Rebecca St. James.
I was first introduced to the idea of abstinence when I was in the sixth grade. The youth pastor at my church brought a new program into our youth group; it was called “True Love Waits.” Some people might think the sixth grade is a little young to begin talking about sex, but they must realize by that time most preteens have already had a year or two of sex education. This new program was a mix between sex ed and God’s plan for our lives. We discussed the reasons why you shouldn’t have sex before marriage both in the physical and spiritual sense, and why God desires this plan for our lives.
The youth who decided to go through this new program ranged in ages from 11 to 18; and attended classes once a week for three weeks. Once the program was over, the youth group held a Commitment Service on Valentine’s Day. The youth who participated made the commitment official by signing a card and receiving a ring to wear which symbolizes the commitment;”True Loves Waits.” The commitment read as follows;
“Believing that True Love Waits, I make a commitment to God, myself, my family, my future mate, and my future children to be sexually abstinent from this day until the day I enter a biblical marriage relationship.”
... middle of paper ...
...world facing the same challenges, and making the same life altering commitment. I also had never thought about the fact Rebecca had made the same commitment and this song was her encouragement. This song was my ring and my strength when ever I needed courage to stand strong I just thought of the song and the millions of other teens who are facing the same challenges.
Over the past year or so I have realized just how much I want to wait until I marry and how the decision affects my relationship with God. But, still today this song keeps me in check even though I do not need it anymore. It reminds me of what I went through and just how much I want to keep the promise I made to my future wife, kids, to myself and God. I no longer need to depend on “Wait for Me” because I have found the power to keep strong in my decision though Christ and through self discipline.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- What is Love. Love. What is it. Love is mostly defined as an affection for another person. Besides affection, love comes with many different facets that you can express for another person. Keep in mind that there is different kinds of love. For example, there is family, friendship, and romance love. At my age, twenty-something, most people would tell you they experience at least one of these different kind of love. Family love is love that cannot be chosen or denied. Friendship love is love you choose to give.... [tags: Love, Interpersonal relationship, Friendship]
1057 words (3 pages)
- Love is merely an illusion. How many of you believe in love at first sight. How many of you believe in first love. Do you think true love really exists. Did you only fall in love once in your whole life time. How many of you have fallen in love for the first time, second time, third time and still not sure that you are going end your life with the fourth one you are living with now or not. Is there any guarantee you will not fall in love with the fifth person again. Isn’t it crazy when you try to analysis this all different kind of love that happened to you in different stages in your life.... [tags: Love, Marriage, English-language films]
1054 words (3 pages)
- `Fake Love Recipe Music a part of me, memories splashed across the notes of my life. Wrapped in a rhythm, and kept with a beat. My emotions tucked in measures of composition, and words of free flowed tears, or happy warm hugs, and smiles. Each song is a remembrance of pain, anguish, love, fun sorrow, regret, and happiness. Sometimes all at the same time, yet songs have captured it in their elements. First song memory begins on a dance floor at Bear River High 's commons area. It is red and white, a beautiful elegant girl is standing in front of me, and together we are dancing to the song 'say something ' by a great big world.... [tags: Love, Psychology, Dance, English-language films]
841 words (2.4 pages)
- T.S. Eliot’s “The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock” draws attention to the idea that time is of the essence. On the surface, Prufrock is portrayed as a man who is incapable of making decisions and lacks self-confidence. This is evident through his passive nature, where he continuously delays having to talk to women because he believes there is enough time. Written in the era of modernism, the reader is capable of unraveling that the poem’s true purpose was not only to show Prufrock’s inability to make decisions when it comes to love, but to show the desolation that one faces in times of a modernistic transition.... [tags: love, loneliness, mind, spirit]
916 words (2.6 pages)
- Romeo and Juliet is a classic love story written by William Shakespeare. The so called love story seems to focus on lust and may not necessarily be the best example of what true love really is. The two main characters Romeo, and Juliet are said to be “star crossed lovers.” Coming from families that hate one another, they have to go to extreme measures to be together. Looking at the story from the outside, it’s hard to understand how one can come to love so quickly. This raises the question of whether Romeo and Juliet are actually in love or do they just lust for one another.... [tags: Love, Romeo and Juliet, Romance, Marriage]
1233 words (3.5 pages)
- Life is full of many up and downs, and love is its main roller coaster. Love is one of the happiest things in life. It gives you excitement, friendships, and hope. From the time you are little you wait and wait for that one day to come when you will meet your significant other. Although, when you look at it in the long run, it is very challenging and either it ends in heartbreak or forever. The famous quote, “The course of true love never did run smooth,” from A Midsummer Night’s Dream is explained very well through the play as it shows that true love has misunderstandings, trust issues, and huge trials.... [tags: misunderstandings, trust, issues, huge, trails]
575 words (1.6 pages)
- In the novel Their Eyes Were Watching God, Janie is a beautiful African-American woman who wants to explore and find love with a real man. She goes through a few men trying to do this, but at the same time she is unwillingly forced with these men who don’t affiliate with the love she desires. However, when Tea Cake marries Janie she gains self-determination when he expresses his love and affection to her that is qualifying factors of her love expectations. Therefore, Janie learns the value of true love and proves herself as a brave woman.... [tags: janie, tea cake, marriage]
592 words (1.7 pages)
- Falling in love can be as intricate as finding a soulmate or as simple as meeting a best friend. The day someone falls in love can be so life changing that it alters everything one does on a daily basis. While many people find true love in a romantic sense, I fell in love the moment I met my niece, Alice. The events leading up to when Alice was born were anxiety inducing yet made me excited to meet my future best-friend. On December 7th, I was walking to my friends house after school enduring the bitter winter air and dreary gray sky when I got a text message from my mom.... [tags: Love, Family, English-language films]
764 words (2.2 pages)
- Love comes in many shapes and forms; it can arise abruptly or creep up slowly over the passing years. For some people, it comes effortlessly; others, strenuously. Likewise, people often react to this commanding emotion in different ways. Many become so enamored with the immediate idea of love that they wander day to day in a dream-like state, completely filled with romantic notions and consumed by the present. Such is the case for the shepherd in “The Passionate Shepherd to His Love,” by Christopher Marlowe.... [tags: Poetry Analysis ]
974 words (2.8 pages)
- Dear Hilary, Seven years have passed since our first encounter and in those past seven years, we have made many memories and parted ways several times. Whenever we parted ways, we were led back to each other as if there was a spark between us. Ever since you entered my life I felt as if God somehow sent one of his angels down to me. Over the last few months, I feel like my heart has grown stronger because of the love I have for you. This love gets stronger and stronger each and every day. I long for your soft, warm, and loving touch not only at sunrise but at sunset and at night as well.... [tags: Love Letters Dating Email Relationships]
434 words (1.2 pages)