The Internet explosion of the 1990’s has been one of the most revolutionizing business factors of the decade. The Internet allows individuals and businesses to reach each other more effectively at an increasingly lower cost.
However, the most effective method of interaction is two-way interaction. This applies whether the interaction is between two people, a person and a business or two businesses. Basic HTML web pages allow for easy one way interaction. It also allows people to send e-mail back and forth.
More effective web pages allow for immediate two-way interaction. These pages can gather survey data, create shopping carts, check credit ratings or even simply have visitors sign a guest book. Interactive web sites definitely have advantages over their less advanced cousins. Common Gateway Interface (CGI) provides one of the more common formats for designing an interactive site.
This paper will address some of the concepts behind creating an interactive web site with CGI. It will proceed by considering the following points:
2. Creating forms
Before explaining how CGI works, it is helpful to gain an overall perspective of how the internet itself functions in connection with the end user. Bruce Gronich of BigNoseBird.com provides a good analogy that will be used throughout this paper. He compares the end user’s browser to a rat searching for food. The garbage can doles out the food when the rat requests it. The garbage can is the server. So, the browser requests information from the server, and the server in return doles out the information that is requested.
The server uses differe...
... middle of paper ...
...lt;INPUT TYPE="reset" value=" Clear-Form">
<INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="FORM_NAME" VALUE="THE TEST FORM">
<INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="MAIL_TO"
This paper has been primarily about some of the HTML codes required to put together an interactive web site. It has reviewed how the internet works and how to assemble a form on a browser. The paper has also addressed how the information needs to be formatted so that it can be successfully passed to a cgi script for further processing.
The primary source used in this paper was the web site www.bignosebird.com
The web site www.icthus.net/CGI-city/ was also helpful.
Finally, the textbook Frontiers of Electronic Commerce provided some information as well.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The first web site that I look into was Aplusmath, which is a commercial web site due to having advertisements. The web site address is easy for students and teachers to remember because it is the title of the web site. The web site address for Aplusmath is www.aplusmath.com/. Aplusmath has worksheets, flashcards, games, and homework helper. The worksheets, flashcards and games found on Aplusmath deal with addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, geometry and algebra. All of these concepts are concepts teachers teach during elementary school.... [tags: Website, World Wide Web, Internet, Web page]
1047 words (3 pages)
- Abstract In this report, the author endeavours to present the how the security issues generally presented on the B2C web sites can assured by technical controls and educating customers. The report presents levels of end-to-end security components that include: physical system security, operating system security and network security. With advent of web applications that are now being used extensively for deploying e-commerce applications, author also presented the web security threat profile of web services that is currently an active research topic.... [tags: Web Security]
2555 words (7.3 pages)
- It 's likely you have fantastic content material to talk about with all your prospects, nevertheless in the event you don’t help all of them find it, and then that should not always be presently there. This information will help you plan your internet site structure, structure, nav, as well as phrasing. The thing is to produce your internet site additional fascinating, fewer difficult, as well as therefore, additional click-worthy. Precisely what may “click-worthy” indicate. Contour basic “worthy associated with pressing as well as viewing/reading, ” it means of which customers have the ability to chose the details you choose these to discover as well as get what you choose these to get.... [tags: World Wide Web, Website, Web page, Internet]
1748 words (5 pages)
- Web-Site Development Checkpoints Websites provide organizations with a valuable tool for the presenting a face to the entire world few successful businesses can survive today with having a professional-looking and functional website (Lucas). This case study is to analyze the resolve of Macy’s web site whether or not it achieve the purpose it intend. Web-Site development checkpoints is the process of collecting and linking information about a specific web page. The checkpoint for Macys web site is use to analyze its operation and consumption in order to advance the web overall feature and to detect problematic areas.... [tags: Website, World Wide Web, Web page, Web browser]
796 words (2.3 pages)
- I am happy to be reviewing your portal. I learned from your process notes that what you want to portray is that this web site is a place to place your work. You also stated that the identity the portal creates for you is that you are a student. You have definitely succeeded in having your work displayed on the site. I liked how you gave a video for each of your examples on the multimodality essay, and I enjoyed how you posted a prompt about our assignment instead of just posting the essay. The visual elements added to the essay gives readers insight into what the essay will be about.... [tags: Website, World Wide Web, Web page, Web design]
1145 words (3.3 pages)
- To ensure that web design projects completed using the WordPress Content Management System are correctly updated and maintained, it is imperative that this guide is closely reviewed and followed. Definitions • Content Management System (CMS) - a computer program that allows for publishing, editing, and modifying content of a web site. The primary advantages of a CMS are a streamlined content creation processes and opportunities for customization and collaboration, all from a central online location.... [tags: world press, modifying content, web site]
748 words (2.1 pages)
- Primus Web Site Design The goals of the Primus Web site are to retain existing customers, draw new ones and lower Primus' customer support costs. To meet these goals the Web site is being designed around a multi-point value package, described below. Value Package The components of the value offering are: 1) Stress-free experience for site visitors and customers 2) Professional quality research 3) Readily available quotes, available via a variety of media 4) Tools to allow customers to manage their portfolios 5) Customized advisory services 6) Online investment "workshop" experiences Service Selection Process During the previous three quarters Primus selected service offerings based on avail... [tags: Web Design]
1338 words (3.8 pages)
- Rhetorical Analysis For my final project, I decided to work on a functional Web site, one that has a purpose. It's part of another project I'm working on with the Multicultural Archive of Georgia. The purpose of my final project is a pedagogical one. It is simply a helpful, educational site on the Web. For the most part, my project focuses on four maps that come from the Hargrett Rare Manuscript Library. Most of the maps focus on the state of Georgia, with an emphasis on the former territories of the Eastern Cherokee nation.... [tags: Rhetorical Analysis]
558 words (1.6 pages)
- My Favorite Web Site and Why Some Works Cited Missing In contrast to most of the other people in this class, I had never done any net surfing. So to prepare for this paper I explored the WWW for approximately seven hours. This helped to create an impression on me of what constitutes a good Web site. Finally, I decided on a favorite SF/CP Web site and I asked myself what made this site better than others. The Web site is dedicated to William Gibson (Foley) site which scrolls a picture of the writer on the site projecting an air of authority.... [tags: Analysis Web Design Essays]
1470 words (4.2 pages)
- If you're a techie entrepreneur creating a big e-commerce site, you may decide to buy a high-end Unix box to accommodate the volume and processing demands your bean-counters have projected for you. You'd run Sun Microsystem's Solaris software on it to power your Web server and e-commerce applications. Or, you could opt to save a little venture capital and run Linus Torvalds' free operating system (and its accompanying free server apps) on a cluster of commodity Intel PCs. The Linux OS is well-suited to small- to medium-sized operations, and is increasingly being used in large enterprises that would have previously considered Unix the only option.... [tags: Unix systems]
1129 words (3.2 pages)