The desire to change one’s body image is very prevalent in today’s society; and in most cases what people want to change is their weight. Companies who market diet programs and miracle diet drugs are very much aware of this commonality among consumers and take advantage of the susceptible nature of those who want to lose the weight and lose it fast. Among the multitude of pills, programs and promises that are offered as cures to the unhappiness of being fat, one new concept has emerged that stretches the boundaries of logic: the catabolic diet.
WHAT IS THE CATABOLIC DIET?
The catabolic diet is based on the concept that a person can eat “catabolic” foods that actually have a negative calorie effect. These are foods that supposedly take a person more calories to digest them than the food itself actually contains. Simply put, they are foods that burn fat instead of creating it. (http://www.rarebooks.net/beck/cataboli.htm)
INFORMATION FOUND ON THE NET
The creators of the catabolic diet have used the Internet as their primary marketing tool; therefore, there are many sites about the diet. Some are blatant advertisements and others pose as being informative and factual. The bottom line: all the sites found on the catabolic diet are looking to make a profit and want the browser to buy into a program.
One site, http://www.blackbeard.com/newlook/, claims that the catabolic diet is so effective that, “[It] works three times faster than starvation.” Yet, after making this statement the site also says that the “Catabolic Diet is a medically created diet. . .” Needless to say there is no medical doctor’s endorsement found a...
... middle of paper ...
Astrup, Arne. “Dietary Approaches to Reducing Body Weight.” Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. Ed. Jeff P. Holly. New York: AMA 1999. 109-120.
Berstein RS; Thornton JC; Yang MU; Wang J; Redmond AM; Pierson RN Jr; Pi-Sunyer FX; Van Itallie TB. (1983a). Prediction of the Resting Metabolic Rate in obese patients. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1983 Apr, 37(4): 595-602.
Brannon, Linda and Jess Feist. Health Psychology: An Introduction to Behavior and Health. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, 2000.
Westerterp-Plantega MS; Rolland V; Wilson SA; Westerterp KR. (1999a). Satiety related to 24 h diet-induced thermogenesis during high protein/carbohydrate vs high fat diets measured in a respiration chamber. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1999 June; 53(6): 495-503.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Murder of Nicole Brown Simpson The 1995 murder of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman, O.J. Simpson was accused of, left all of America speechless and in shock for the whole course of the case. Most people that had followed the case thoroughly still, to this day, wonder who the REAL killer was. The most widely known suspect is her ex-husband, Orenthal James a.k.a. O.J. Simpson, who was put on trial for several years due to the incriminating evidence. Some say O.J. was framed, but there is ample evidence that always led back to him.... [tags: Nicole Brown Simpson, O. J. Simpson]
1955 words (5.6 pages)
- The horrific murder of the beautiful Nicole Brown Simpson was one that had shocked the world. The story of her murder has been told all across the nation on television, in newspapers, and across the internet. During the initial investigation to attempt to find out who had stabbed her to death, an impossible person was accused of the crime. Many clues and significant pieces of evidence found by police officers and crime scene investigators point to Nicole Brown Simpson’s obvious killer: O.J. Simpson.... [tags: O. J. Simpson murder case, Nicole Brown Simpson]
2231 words (6.4 pages)
- Are you in the habit of carrying jumper cables in your car trunk. There are many vehicle owners who enjoy the benefit of owning a jumper cable. When the battery is running too low to start the vehicle, you have the convenience of having a jumper cable nearby. If you should ever find yourself in a situation where the car is not starting properly, your first thought would be that your battery might be running low and need a little boost. However, if you have never used jumper cables before, you might feel overwhelmed with the process.... [tags: Tires, Automobile, Truck, Webb County]
1513 words (4.3 pages)
- Former NFL Star, Heisman trophy winner, Orenthal James Simpson, better known as O.J. Simpson, has a lengthy history of encounters with law enforcement. He was incarcerated when he was fifteen for gang related fighting (“O.J. Simpson” Contemporary). In 1989 he pleaded no contest to beating and threatening to kill Nicole Brown, his wife at the time, and faced minimal consequences (Mydens). In 1995, after a yearlong criminal trial, he was acquitted of the murder of Nicole Brown and her friend Ron Goldman, and later found liable for the murders in a civil case in 1997.... [tags: O. J. Simpson murder case, O. J. Simpson]
1810 words (5.2 pages)
- Nicole’s mother, Lynette, has always been a faithful provider for Nicole and Polly. Nicole reports that her mother always ensured that the girls had everything they needed; e.g. food, clothing, warm bed, etc. Since Lynette lived for a time as s single-parent, her work hours kept her away from the girls for long hours throughout the work week and sometimes on weekends. Nicole and Polly were often alone with one another in the mornings and evenings. Nicole describes her mother as supportive; but she would be more supportive when Nicole’s interests paralleled her own.... [tags: Marriage, Family]
1602 words (4.6 pages)
- Vickie Lynn Hogan grew up in a small, Texas town. She was a product of a difficult childhood due to poverty, her father leaving, and her mother having little to do with her. Feeling the pressures of poverty and the lack of love shown by her mother, Vickie eventually dropped out of school and married Billy Smith at the age of 17. A year after the nuptials she gave birth to a baby boy for which she claims she devoted her life to. The marriage to Billy was short lived and within a year after the birth of their son, she divorced him.... [tags: Biography]
1139 words (3.3 pages)
- “If it doesn’t fit, you must acquit” a statement which was used by Johnnie Cochran. A quote from the People of the State of California v. Orenthal James Simpson was one of America’s most famous cases that brought attention to the black community. This Era played a Logo in the impact, and after effects of this case. A case that brought attention to many American’s, immigrants, nationwide viewers and also, a case that is known to today’s society as the OJ Simpson case. This case raised concern and debate over the black community.... [tags: O. J. Simpson murder case, O. J. Simpson]
1810 words (5.2 pages)
- Author Nicole Fallon wrote an article where she defined corporate social responsibly. In this article, What is Corporate Social Responsibility, published on businessdailynews.com, Fallon states, “Corporate social responsibility (CSR) refers to a business practice that involves participating in initiatives that benefit society. When comparing this definition of corporate social responsibility to the actions of Company Q, it is safe to say that their actions are not socially responsible. Company Q does not want to donate food to the local food bank because they fear that their own employees will steal.... [tags: Social responsibility, Business ethics]
1157 words (3.3 pages)
- DO NOT NOTIFY MY MOTHER. SHE HAS A HEART CONDITION" This, the last words of a suicide victim, Steven H., the 500th jumper from the famous Golden Gate Bridge. Early on in Steven's life, extending back to his genital or adolescence stage, he was not very involved with school activities or sports, and had minimal friends. He did show signs of anger but failed to express why his anger existed. Many had blamed the absence of his father in his life, who had divorced Steven's mother when he was 3 years old.... [tags: Depression and Suicide Essays]
418 words (1.2 pages)
- The Demise of Dick and Nicole in Tender is the Night When referring to the demise of Dick in Fitzgerald's Tender is the Night, I think it is impossible that we not consider the demise of Dick and Nicole as a couple. They begin the book as a unit rather like a Chinese dragon with Dick at the head and Nicole following behind, both covered by the decorative cloak of the appearances they maintained. There are several transitions that they go through that upset the balance that allowed them to maintain a functioning marriage.... [tags: Tender is the Night Essays]
980 words (2.8 pages)