Evil Dead 2 is a film directed by Sam Raimi who has set out to make a film of the comicall horror genre. The story is obviously the sequel to Evil Dead and follows the exploits of the same character ?Ash? as he takes a trip with his new girlfriend ?Linda?. Raimi has a history for making these types of films with obvious style similarities being seen between ?Evil Dead? and its sequel. ?Evil Dead? was the first feature length film Raimi made after quitting university to proceed with its making. Like ?Evil Dead 2? he worked with a low budget. $3 75.000 was collected from private investors and this was the films budget. Following the success of ?Evil Dead? he produced ?Evil Dead 2? this could be afforded a slightly higher budget due to its predecessor. Still ?Evil Dead 2? was a low budget film especially when compared to the extortionate budgets of other films around that time 1986. The film is 82 minutes long and took around three months to shot in very few locations. As the film is of the horror genre this lays down ground rules on the type of sets and lighting that will be used, as these have to appear quite dark to fit in with the theme. It is set in the 80?s which is the same period as it was shot, but it differs from most horror films in the way that the main character is a man (Ash). By doing this you are moved away from the general convention which is to have a ?last girl?. This means the audience sees Ash in quite a female role throughout the film, which fits with his character and name. His name being Ash is short for Ashley a non-gender-specific name.
Ash is seen throughout the film as a bit of an idiot really, he is constantly put into situations and does the oppo...
... middle of paper ...
...e obviously used to add humour, which is what they do. You see scenes were someone, like Jake, is killed and fountains of blood will pour out from the cellar where he is being decapitated. This scene could have been made very disturbing but as it is so un-graphic and all you see is the barrel loads of blood it becomes amusing instead. The effects artists tried to steer clear of using realistic looking blood as well as to them this wouldn?t look as amusing as green, or black.
Overall the form of ?Evil Dead 2? was not meant to be realistic or, as Bazin said it otherwise should, add to it. Its form creates an environment which is hostile but at the same time comical. It shows you a man who is tortured and tormented losing everyone around him, but makes this into an amusing tale. To do this it had to detach itself from reality, for otherwise this film would be hated.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- “To say pan-Arabism is ‘dead’ would be inaccurate- because it was never ‘alive,’ in any meaningful sense, in the first place.” Assess viewpoints for and against this argument, with special reference to at least one appropriate country. “One Arab nation from Gulf to the Ocean,” gives meaning to the term “Pan-Arabism” in the Middle East. A notion where Arab nations transcend their state boundaries to form political mergers with other states and achieve an ‘Arab unity.’ The existence of Arab states had been tumultuous throughout the decline of the Muslim order, the end of the Ottoman Empire, the Palestinian defeat, Six Day War and Arab-Israeli war in 1973.... [tags: Arabism Ideology ]
2879 words (8.2 pages)
- Ideology can be looked at different perspectives of the way people think about it. Some people think that ideology is bad, while some people think it is good. Ideology takes a very harmful way in Christianity; Pope Francis explains to Christians that ideology drives away the church and the people. In his perspective of mind, ideology is a “serious illness.”(Dolan) In some other places such as North Korea, ideology is a “dangerous belief system.” North Koreans Ideology is most commonly referred as “Juche,” this ideology is harmful to people because most people would like to praise people who do good things, but in North Korea people have to pray to a dictator who is capable of killing, tortur... [tags: Juche Ideology, North Korea]
1833 words (5.2 pages)
- Marx utilized the term ideology to discuss certain aspects of society. To begin with, “Ideology refers to those ideas that naturally emerge out of everyday life in capitalism” (Ritzer, 64). This means that ideas that come naturally in life are seen as an ideology. An example of this was provided in Four Sociological Traditions. In it, Marx discusses how men can be distinguished from animals because we have consciousness and with consciousness, men can distinguish themselves from animals as soon as we begin to produce our own means of subsistence (Sel.... [tags: Sociology, Marxism, Ideology, Antonio Gramsci]
1005 words (2.9 pages)
- The Day of the Dead also known as Dia De Los Muertos occurs on November 2, the day after the Dia De lots Inocentes which happens to fall on November 1st ,which in translation means the day of the innocents or the day of the little angels. These rituals are highly known in Mexico, Latina America, Spain, Italy, South America , Philippines and some parts of the United States, they are mainly celebrated in Catholic based countries and people. It 's been a ritual and tradition that many indigenous people have been celebrating for the past 3000 years.... [tags: Death, Afterlife, Day of the Dead, Life]
1054 words (3 pages)
- “Evil Dead'; in respect to “Evil Dead 2'; Main Character Personality Differences From the Original to the Remake “Evil Dead'; and “Evil Dead 2'; are both late 80’s horror movies starring Bruce Campbell as Ash, a quiet guy in his early 20’s that ends up hacking to death his demon posessed friends to avoid death. In the original “Evil Dead';, Ash tends to run from any of the daemons and scary things that come his way, until there is no one left and he is forced to protect himself.... [tags: essays research papers]
619 words (1.8 pages)
- Bricolage: A Woman's Use of Canonical Ideology le bricolage: travail dont la technique est improvisée, adaptée aux materiaux, aux circonstances. In chapter one of The Savage Mind, Claude Leví-Strauss explains bricolage as a way of understanding the structure of mythical thought in "savage" societies. The term bricoleur can be used practically, to represent a kind of craftsman though Leví-Strauss brings the word to an analytical level, and it is with this level that we are concerned. The bricoleur's "universe of instruments is closed and the rules of his game are always to do with `whatever is at hand'" so, as a craftsman, he is conservative and ecological.... [tags: Canonical Ideology Literature]
4379 words (12.5 pages)
- The Qumran Documents (Dead Sea Scrolls) The finding of the Dead Sea Scrolls or the Qumran Documents is the single most important religious find of the twentieth century. These manuscripts have revolutionized the entire field of biblical study and have the ability to destabilize the mass of western religious thought as we know it today. For the information contained in these scrolls, include books of the Hebrew Bible that predate the next earlier example by one thousand years. The data found in these scrolls enable us to form a historically accurate reconstruction of the time period formative of Rabbinic Judaism and of Christianity.... [tags: Dead Sea Scrolls]
1058 words (3 pages)
- An Analysis of the Form and Ideology of Hedgehog in the Fog The animation, ?Hedgehog in the Fog?, tells the story of an inquisitive hedgehog passing through a wood to visit his friend the bear cub to count the stars. It has won numerous awards for it?s style and originality after it?s release by Yuri Bonsovich Norstein (1941 - to date) and his small crew at the Soyuzmultfilm studios in Moscow in 1975. ?Hedgehog in the Fog. is the fifth of Norstein?s six completed works. All have a deceptive simplicity, a faux naivetîehat begs a deeper understanding of their origins and implications.... [tags: Film Movie Hedgehog Fog Essays]
3276 words (9.4 pages)
- Ideology has played an important part in British politics for centuries. It played a part in the setting up of the three major parties as we know them today. Ideology is difficult to define as it is such as widely and loosely used term. Andrew Vincent as well as many other authors, Vincent describes ideology as, ‘the term ’ideology’ was a neologism compounded from the Greek terms eidos and logos. It can be defined as a ‘science of ideas’ (Vincent: 2009:p.1). Even from this definition it is difficult to fully understand the term ‘ideology’ as it has such a broad definition.... [tags: British Politics]
1992 words (5.7 pages)
- French philosopher Destutt de Tracy originally coined the term "ideology" at the end of the 18th century to create a science that would provide a rational foundation for the study and critique of ideas. Instead, the term has become an extremely challenged and changeable concept. The term "ideology" is used to refer to a system of mutually dependent ideas, principles, traditions, gatherings, and even folklore that functions as a routine frame of reference. These routine ideas are taken for granted and used to interpret, understand, and guide values in a certain direction against those of other ideologies.... [tags: Philosophy]
854 words (2.4 pages)